Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davpel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Given the sending problems with the default Yahoo! push account, plus the fact that you cannot get the iPhone to recognize the Yahoo-specified "reply to" address, I would love to be able to configure a Yahoo! push account manually with my own mail provider's SMTP settings for sending mail. The only problem, of course, is figuring out Yahoo!'s IMAP server settings.

I tried using the widely-circulated one: "imap.apple.mail.com" and when trying to authenticate the account, iPhone reported that it could not find the server.

I then tried "imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com" with more luck. This time, I received a message that my username or password were incorrect. I then tried a bunch of different configurations of my Yahoo! username but couldn't find one that works.

Anyone have any ideas on the proper settings, yet?

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Although Yahoo has "push mail" for the iPhone, Yahoo does not, nor have they ever supported IMAP. Even if you pay for their deluxe mail service. .MAC does support IMAP but does not support iPhone push (go figure!).

Hope that helps.

davpel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Although Yahoo has "push mail" for the iPhone, Yahoo does not, nor have they ever supported IMAP. Even if you pay for their deluxe mail service. .MAC does support IMAP but does not support iPhone push (go figure!).

Hope that helps.

Actually, you are wrong on several counts. First, Yahoo! began quietly offering IMAP support as part of Yahoo! Next a while back and then discontinued it after too many people got access to the beta program.

Second, and more to the point, although Yahoo! does not generally support IMAP now, the "push" mail feature for the iPhone is being done via IMAP Idle. This has been confirmed over and over again. In fact, the IMAP server address that I quoted above actually appears on the iPhone when the device has network problems and can't locate the proper Yahoo! server.

The issue which I am hoping someone addresses is how to set up the iPhone's Yahoo! IMAP account manually rather than using the default Yahoo! setup wizard. Given that Yahoo! does not support IMAP for non-iPhone users, I'm sure they want to keep the server settings a secret, but I'm hoping someone can figure it out.

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but has anybody figured this out? I want to manually enter the account info so that I can choose a different outgoing server instead of the standard one.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
i couldn't get it to work (and I have a Yahoo Plus account), has anyone else had any luck?

derflop

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
i couldn't get it to work (and I have a Yahoo Plus account), has anyone else had any luck?

hm, I can't test myself, but you could try setting the IMAP port to the (standard) 143 and SSL has to be turned off. At least that's what this other post here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=398799 post #9) says. Does this work? Those guys seem to have the most problems with the outgoing mail (SMTP) settings, not the IMAP access.

888d1F3ZGM

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Where are the custom folders?

Not to beat a dead horse here, but regarding the custom folders in my Yahoo Plus account, they are not showing up in Mac Mail. Is that normal? I like how my iPhone accesses yahoo via IMAP and a change in one is reflected in a change in the other.

Is this just something that I have to live with? It seems silly that the iPhone can use IMAP but Mac Mail cannot.

I would like to be able to use my address book and Mac Mail seamlessly with yahoo but I can't currently.

derflop

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
You're right, I found confirmation at wikipedia (here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Mail#Free_IMAP_and_SMTPs_access) that IMAP access is dependent on the Mail client. Some mail clients implement that 'special' IMAP command required by Yahoo!Mail to allow IMAP access (and therefore allow seamless syncing of contents). So contrary to what I thought, it looks like a paid subscription is not required, but it depends on whether or not your E-Mail client supports that backdoor Yahoo! opened for IMAP access.

forcelite

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2003
FYI
these yahoo mail settings worked for me on Windows mobile 6.5 mail

* Yahoo!Mail
* user@yahoo.com
* imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com
* yes
* smtp.mail.yahoo.com
* yes
* no

Force

xymoza

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
FYI
these yahoo mail settings worked for me on Windows mobile 6.5 mail

* Yahoo!Mail
* user@yahoo.com
* imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com
* yes
* smtp.mail.yahoo.com
* yes
* no

Force

i tried this setting in mac os x mail and was able to sync my yahoo mail accounts (1 bizmail and 1 free mail). my problem now is i can't sync my mail if i'm connected in my office's wifi connection but its working fine on my 3g gsm connection. any thoughts?

derflop

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
If you are using the same mail client at the office, maybe your office Wifi (like some public Wifis in hotels etc.) blocks the 993 SSL port? Otherwise I wouldn't know what else could cause that. Unless you're using another mail client in the office.

---
Florian
Animail iPhone app: http://www.theanimail.com

8740ridgeroad

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Not working

i tried this setting in mac os x mail and was able to sync my yahoo mail accounts (1 bizmail and 1 free mail). my problem now is i can't sync my mail if i'm connected in my office's wifi connection but its working fine on my 3g gsm connection. any thoughts?

Hi, sorry but I can't get this to work, I can get the emails out of my Yahoo! inbox but not the sent items? Could you maybe be a little clearer on exactly how you set this up on Mac Mail? Thank you so much!

C

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Since the problem looks like it might be that when the yahoo servers realize that it is Mac mail and not an iPhone, it doesn't allow IMAP functionality. so that being said, does anyone know a way to make Mac mail "look" like it is coming from an iPhone instead?

wunderlb

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
As it turns out the Yahoo IMAP server requires a special 'id' command in order for it to work, in addition to some other special handling.

I found that the software at http://www.bravurasoftware.com/yahoo-imap/ worked perfectly for me. It performs very well.

Seems like the above only works for windows based computers...does anybody know how to do this for mac mail on OSX?

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Why waste time and money with yahoo? Just get a free gmail account and set-up for exchange.

because i have had my yahoo account for quite awhile and, when i use the web version of gMail, find that it has a very, very dumb UI.

dimenz11

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
Solution

After much advise from above and tweaking:

settings for macmail:
type: IMAP

incoming server: imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com
Imap path prefix: imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com
port: 143
ssl: off

outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
ssl: on

patrikf

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
settings for macmail:

incoming server: imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com
Imap path prefix: imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com
port: 143
ssl: off

works but it wont show any folders, below is the settings that works for me

incoming server: imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com
user name: full email adress (i.e john.doe@yahoo.com)
Imap path prefix: (i.e no prefix)
port: 993

Steve Knepp

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Yahoo IMAP Settings for Snow Leopard Mail Client 4.4 (1082)

Actually I recently found a workaround for this issue. Unfortunately our friends in Cupertino assume everyone's an idiot and needs their account set up automatically. Mail 4.4 does not give you the option of configuring a manual setup, so here's what you need to do:

• Set up or edit an e-mail account
  • Use an incorrect password
  • Now the setup will fail and you can configure manually
  • Change the mail account type from POP to IMAP
  • Incoming server is imap.mail.yahoo.com Port 993
  • Outgoing server is smtp.mail.yahoo.com Port 465

That's the short version if you know what you're doing. If not I posted a short tutorial on YouTube with screen shots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAMHUuz49Wo

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.