Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, TUAW pointed to a growing chorus of complaints in Apple's discussion forums from users who have seen poor battery life from their Apple wireless keyboards after moving to the company's new Magic Mouse, which began shipping in late October. According to the reports, some users are finding that their wireless keyboards are running through batteries on a nearly-weekly basis since switching to the Magic Mouse, although an exact cause of the problem has not yet been determined.
Some have guessed that the Magic Mouse is preventing the keyboard from going into sleep mode. One user swapped his Magic Mouse with a Logitech model and saw the problem disappear, while another claims to have heard from Apple Tech Support that this is a known Bluetooth driver issue and that a fix is in the works.
The issue, which was noted early last month by MacNN, has begun receiving more attention as it continues to be unresolved. The complaints appear to be coming from users of Apple's older, three-battery aluminum wireless keyboard, which was replaced with a new, two-battery version that initially shipped with Apple's new iMacs released in October and also made available for individual sale. Few, if any, reports have come from users of the new keyboard model, although it is unclear if the new model is unaffected or if there is simply a larger sample of users of the older model who would be more likely to notice a change in battery performance than recent purchasers of the new model.

Article Link: Magic Mouse Blamed for Draining Bluetooth Keyboard Batteries

saqibhasan

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
why aren't people using rechargeable batteries yet?

i have like maybe 16 that i used for everything in the house - camera flash, keyboards, controls - they come as 2700mh and last FOREVER and are dirt cheap to recharge!

oh and grimace - nice glass! :) You a member at the canon forums too? I can't justify the cost of primes yet but have the same zooms you do.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Of course an Apple fix is in order, but I would recommend a set of rechargeable batteries for anyone using a wireless keyboard. I bought a 6 pack of duracell rechargeables for $12 and always keep a set handy. They last about a month with daily use. Since the voltage is typically lower on rechargeables, the battery level indicator in the keyboard prefs will indicate only about 70% battery life when they are full charged. Still, much better than going through alkalines left and right.

cecoleman

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
I have this combination... older keyboard, new Magic Mouse. My batteries are not draining any faster than usual. I've had the mouse for a couple weeks and my keyboard batteries have dropped maybe 10 percent since then with regular use. Wondering if there is more to it for those experiencing it.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I have the old wireless keyboard and the Magic Mouse. I haven't noticed any battery issues. I've had the MM since it first shipped. I'm certainly not replacing batteries on a weekly basis. I'll have to look at the battery level when I get home, but so far I have not had to change the batteries in the keyboard. It's been at least 2 months since I've had the mouse.

bclarkj

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2004
It's affected me - First Model Aluminum BT Keyboard

I have two of the 3-battery BT keyboards. Both started using batteries in less than 3 days after I started using the Magic Mouse. I went back to a wired keyboard until they get this fixed. Rechargeable batteries aren't a sufficient alternative because of lack of convenience having to remove every couple of days to recharge. Hoping for a solution soon.

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
I have to disagree with the idea. I have the older wireless keyboard (3 battery model) and have added a magic mouse. No issues with battery life on the keyboard. I do see that the Magic mouse goes through batteries quicker that the mighty mouse did. I got about three months from the wireless mighty mouse batteries and about half that with the magic mouse.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
why aren't people using rechargeable batteries yet?

i have like maybe 16 that i used for everything in the house - camera flash, keyboards, controls - they come as 2700mh and last FOREVER and are dirt cheap to recharge!

If I'm not mistaken, there are USB-rechargeable AA batteries on the market now that eliminate one of the prime reasons customers avoid using rechargeables: the charger. Let me see if I can find them...

...here we go. And these aren't the only brand available now, either; Amazon has several.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I just went through a pair in under 3 weeks of use. My logitech wifi mouse lasted much longer on a pair of AAs, like 8 months. This makes me sad.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Same here, G1 alu bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse, and G1 Mac Pro (if thats relevant at all) this keyboard is gobbling up rechargeables by the week! Plus using 3 batteries, it always leaves a spare one knocking about.

Of note, mine has only been recording a fresh battery percentage from 47-46 percent then just dies after a week or so, still recording the same numbers.

bclarkj

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2004
My Magic Mouse batteries are fine - My BT Keyboard, NO

My Magic Mouse has never had battery issues. I'm getting 4-8 weeks of life on it. My 3 battery BT Keyboard? less than 2.5 days consistently. Both keyboards and doesn't matter which Mac I pair them with. Running latest build of Snow Leopard on all (A Mac Pro, the last model aluminum shell MB Pro, and a Core2Duo Black MacBook). It is definitely the magic mouse or it's driver that is causing this because I don't have the problem if I use my old wireless mighty mouse.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
If I'm not mistaken, there are USB-rechargeable AA batteries on the market now that eliminate one of the prime reasons customers avoid using rechargeables: the charger. Let me see if I can find them...

...here we go. And these aren't the only brand available now, either; Amazon has several.

Or just buy a charger that is USB powered. You can get them from most electronic stores. I have an Energiser one that will charge four AA's at once. Good for when I'm on the go.

I can't stand wireless mice and keyboards. Wired for day to day use.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Interesting.

I sort-of have this combo and sort-of had the problem. I have that keyboard on a media mini in one room and the magic mouse in the next room. I only use the mouse when I have my MBP plugged into the external monitor (which I do, fairly regularly -- usually 4+ times a week).

I had been noticing the keyboard batteries were suddenly dying very quickly (~1 week or less vs. several weeks), but I think it was before I got the Magic Mouse. In any case, the problem seems to have gone away for about a month or two now.

I do use rechargeables, so it wasn't much of a problem. I guess I had been wearing out the batteries more quickly than necessary.

Based on my experience, I'm not sure I agree that the MM and old keyboard battery run-down issue are really related.

Tampa Tom

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
So that's what happened.

My keyboard batteries were lasting me a month. I got a new magic Mouse and updated to Snow Leopard at the same time. I thought it was the snow leopard causing the problem. My wireless keyboard is now in the closet as I got tired of swapping Rechargable batteries every 4 or 5 days.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Go wired...

I can't stand wireless peripherals, especially mice and keyboards. I find it's such less hassle dealing with two cords than swapping out batteries (even once in 6 months is too many times for me) and putting up with the occasional burp in signal. No matter how good these technologies get, there's nothing like a hardwired keyboard and mouse, in my opinion. I love the Mac keyboard and was disappointed when they decided to ship iMacs with the wireless variant. Thank goodness they still sell the wired equivalent (with numerical keypad) in the Apple store. And as for the Magic Mouse...gimmicky and not quite what it claims to be (you can't simultaneously click both buttons - what?). I'll stick with my $10 Microsoft Mouse that's been going strong for the last eight years, thank you very much. =)

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Not that big of a deal

Some have guessed that the Magic Mouse is preventing the keyboard from going into sleep mode. One user swapped his Magic Mouse with a Logitech model and saw the problem disappear, while another claims to have heard from Apple Tech Support that this is a known Bluetooth driver issue and that a fix is in the works.

Apple should tell future complainers to calm down. We know there's an issue and it's being worked.

iDisk

:apple:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Those builtin-usb cells are not only pricy, but at only 1300 mAh they're about half as powerful as the high end cells.

Thanks for the Amazon tip, though - they have a USB charger for full-power cells:

2193BJPJMBL._SL500_AA220_.jpg
(click to enlarge) Targus Tg-Chusb

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
They sell a Wireless keyboard now where you keep the cord plugged into your computers USB port so the batteries never run out of charge.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Why would anyone in their right mind chose to use the magic mouse anyway?

What kind of a question is that? Why does anyone use anything?

I bought 2 of them because I like the multi-finger gestures like a trackpad and because I was sick to death of cleaning that nasty little rollerball on the previous mouse.

I guess you're one of those people that thinks just because you don't like it, no one should. Pretty immature.

acousticart

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
2 for 2 at my house

I have this issue on two of my macs that I use two different 3 battery wireless keyboards and two magic mouses... batteries in the keyboard die in about 5 to 7 days evetry time. PLease fix this Apple! Rechargebles only last a couple of days.

thedave3000

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Arlington
I don't have a wireless keyboard, but I do have the magic mouse and noticed that it seems to really go through batteries itself - much more so than the bluetooth mighty mouse. Perhaps the driver update will fix both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.