Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seba-sw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Hi,

i just got a powermac that was supposedly broken but i managed to get it running again. I'v put some PC3200 ram in that i had laying around, now i want to buy at least 2G of ram but i was wondering is i need to buy the very expensive kingson specially made for the G5 or can i use any PC3200 ram i can find?

- kingson: KTA-G5400/2G - Memory/2GB Kit id Apple G5 PC3200 "93 €"

- A-Data/V-Data DDR 1GB 400MHz PC3200 "29 €"

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
http://www.ramseeker.com

Use the pull down menu on the upper left to find your model; any of the sticks or kits they list will work.

Also, note that the G5 used matched pairs, so it's best to buy whatever you buy in pairs, mixing and matching can have unpredictable results. Trust me on that one.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Buying it marked specifically for a Mac just makes it cost more while using the same memory from typically the same brand will work just as good. I like to stick with Crucial or Corsair memory as that has always work in my various Macs that I've owned.

Just make sure you follow what the previous posted mentioned and you will be fine. Be sure the memory is none ECC and low density. Low density will have chips on both sides of the memory stick if they are 512mb+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.