Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcohen9229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
ok after months of hard work i did it i got leopard to run on my g3 imac 400mhz with 384 Mb of sdram
ok now i have pictures included but before im told these are fake i dont know photoshop im a begginer at seashore(native gimp for osx) if you want you can check their not photoshopped
ok now the dock if you notice barely reflects and the indicators are white triangles and the menu bar isn't opaque now keep in mind the graphics chipset on this thing the blue ovals wont show so i did have to change those the reflection and opaque menubars just dont show it cant handle it
core image and quartz extreme wont work
now ive tried this on other imacs it never seems to be the same install i suggest trial and errorr

sorry about pic quality im using a $99 dolar canon powershot as you can tell from the imac im a student w/out money

Attachments

• IMG_0164.JPG
    IMG_0164.JPG
    805.8 KB · Views: 15,174
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    721.6 KB · Views: 5,019
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    682 KB · Views: 1,806
  • IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    790.3 KB · Views: 7,943
  • IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    709.5 KB · Views: 2,625

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Heheh...

Well, perhaps you managed to get it running, but I've seen Leopard on a G4 1.42 GHz with 512 MB RAM and it was slow as molasses, so your G3 there should probably need about 5 minutes just to animate one cycle of a dock icon bouncing up and down...

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
ok after months of hard work i did it i got leopard to run on my g3 imac 400mhz with 384 Mb of sdram
ok now i have pictures included but before im told these are fake i dont know photoshop im a begginer at seashore(native gimp for osx) if you want you can check their not photoshopped
ok now the dock if you notice barely reflects and the indicators are white triangles and the menu bar isn't opaque now keep in mind the graphics chipset on this thing the blue ovals wont show so i did have to change those the reflection and opaque menubars just dont show it cant handle it
core image and quartz extreme wont work
now ive tried this on other imacs it never seems to be the same install i suggest trial and errorr

sorry about pic quality im using a $99 dolar canon powershot as you can tell from the imac im a student w/out money

My congratulations on getting it up and running. Quite a feat! :apple:

I have to ask though.... is the system usable considering the resources it uses and the hardware it's installed on? :D

Anyway, have fun and regards.

jcohen9229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
it was running quite slow the i put a gig of memory in and it is faster than it runs the same speed it ran os 10.3 at

jcohen9229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
oh sick just got opaque menubar to work all i had to do was check and uncheck opaque menu 6 times
look closely you can see the stars

Attachments

• Photo 12.jpg
    Photo 12.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,492

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
How did you achieve this? Using open-firmware? I'm considering doing it as my G3 iMac is showing various quirks that suggest it's time to wipe it. I currently have Tiger installed and it runs okay, but it'd be nice to have Leopard on it for the parental control features (the ones that kick you off at certain times) as it's the family machine, the MacPro with HDTV is all mine ^^

However, it's much slower, particularly unstable or anything like that then I'll just go for the Tiger install, need to find it...

tomd89

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
The computer fits very well with the "leopard look", must be very slow however.

I had one of the early OS X systems on one of those and it was terrible!

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
any one see the shapshifter read me on the desktop? and the dock with white arrows and no refelction.
i did the same thing to my ibook G3 (i mean make tiger look almost exactly like leopard unless you go into system profiler)

i will be convinced once i see system profiler, (i can easly changed my version number so the about window wont cut it)

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
10.3 is the best for any iMac G3 in my opinion, It seems to run the smoothest, and quickest. I originally had OS X 10.1 on this iMac and it ran terribly slow.

Babooshka

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Heheh...

Well, perhaps you managed to get it running, but I've seen Leopard on a G4 1.42 GHz with 512 MB RAM and it was slow as molasses, so your G3 there should probably need about 5 minutes just to animate one cycle of a dock icon bouncing up and down...

I had Leopard on this iBook G4 (1.33GHz) when it only had 384Mb and it was fine and dandy.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
The only type of iMac G3s ive seen running leopard and ones with a heavily modified install (adding back the missing ktexts) and with a G4 upgrade. Until I see system profiler, this counts as fake in my view.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
This is definitely fake, the speaker icon in the menubar has white between the sound waves and the alignment on the dock is the way it is in previous versions of the dock. Also, even on machines this old the dock still shows the blue indicator.

Kat King123

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
this is POSSIBLE if you have anther mac that can run leopard(intel or g4,g5) and put the g3 into target disk mode hook it up through firewire to the leopard-compatible mac boot the leopard disk on it. then when picking which disk to install leopard on you pick your g3 mac's disk and it installs just fine:D but this guys is fake just look at the menu bar

d.harkin

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
Glasgow, UK
Fake!

This image is 100% fake

dashboard does not show a status indicator in leopard, whether open or not.

why waste people's time with a fake image

PS if anyone knows how to make an OS9 boot CD from within OSX, then your help would be greatly appreciated

Danny

iMacmaster82

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
leopard on an imac G3

leopard on an imac g3? nice. I have the patience to do such things, but i don't know if things like this are possible. I believe that leopard can be installed on a G3 iMac (CRT), but get ready to have 5-minute icon animation cycles on the dock, because the system will be slower than crap. I have leopard on a 400Mhz sawtooth G4 Power macintosh (graphite), and it is running leopard like a charm with 1.5GB of RAM. i do have a 4th ram slot, but i don't use it. Anyway, the reason why i don't recommend leopard on a G3 mac is because leopard requires a core technology in processors that Apple only made with G4 processors and later. Even the newest G3 processors (from graphite iMacs for example) don't have it, causing Leopard to be extremely unusable. It will be just like selling a good looking chevy Camaro without the transmission. I don't see how that guy who posted here about a year or two ago said that a 1.42Ghz G4 processor with 512mb of ram is slow. a 1.42Ghz G4 is about the equivalent of a "cedar mill" Pentium 4 processor at 2.8Ghz. I wouldn't even come close to thinking of even putting tiger on a beige G3 mac. about a decade ago, i got a power macintosh g3 (beige), and the best i ever had on it was the earliest version of OS X (10.0 and not the beta). it is in my basement right now, with a 233Mhz processor and 384MB of RAM. I guess that leopard is fast on my Power Macintosh G4, because i packed in alot of RAM in it. At the time leopard was the flagship of Apple, the standard RAM that apple computers shipped with was 2GB of RAM. I am planning to make an upgrade to 2GB of RAM, but it is still fast with 1.5GB of RAM. Just remember one thing, if leopard is slow on a processor faster than 400Mhz, you have got to get more RAM, because 80% of people these days don't even have the maximum amount of memory installed on their computer possible.

jcohen9229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
my imac g3

i have gotten a lot of interest in this recently but sadly forgot how i did it. I believe what i had done was found a file that was limiting the installation from occurring and altered it i ran into many problems though. I was glad to see some one had caught me on dashboard. dashboard did not run at all so what i did was grabbed a copy of the tiger version someone else had thrown together in a dmg i then managed to bring over the movie widget but webclips never worked. the install succeeded on my M5521 better known as the iMac DV though it ran very slow. I never did get it to run on my M4984(iMac,1) or better known as the iMac at the time and Bondi Blue iMac today.let me know if you have any more questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.