Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbryce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Guys-

I am returning my 2nd iMac (i7 core) today and this time I am not going to get a replacement... I love what this iMac has offer & the screen size is unbelievable. It's a beautiful product. Unfortunately- it seems that we're asking for it based on price tag...

Both of iMacs were experiencing;

• Screen flickering (even after firmware update)
  • Yellow Tinted at bottom of monitor
  • HD (2 TB) being a bit slow
    Note: Myself as a MAC user for 8 years now, I noticed that it depends on how you install OS X, softwares, etc. For some reasons, performance tend to be better if I installed a software then restart then do a complete update before installing other software. However with these two iMacs I had doesn’t show any difference.​
  • Superdrive reads too slowly, while it plays movies fine, but it takes too long for it to read the data. I often would see files & folders inside of DVD / CD but has outline boxes before it’s completely loaded- even at 25 mb file size with fastest DVD / CD available. It wasn’t acceptable.
  • Audio works OK, just that it would beep out loudly once in awhile-- sort of like having hiccups.

I don’t know if this is the worst product that Apple has released but it is for my experience- I am simply shocked. It seems that Apple is offering bandaid solution for defects that we are finding in these 27in iMacs.. For those who don’t have any issues, I am betting that they will later on.

I really need the power that it’s offering me and who knows-- I may wait few weeks more to order again-- as new product cycle seems to be 4-5 months away & I don’t know if I can wait that long. I am wondering if I ordered again and experience similar issues- would Apple replace the unit for newer model (within a year) or look for whatever they have in shock until I have no issues?

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I have had my 27" i7 since release day and have none of these issues. So I say go get yourself one it's great!!!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if you dont like it you can always buy a
sony vaio rt it has Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 processor and 4096MB of DDR2 SDRAM memory, 1 TB of disk space, an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT GPU, Blu-ray writer (50gb on one disc ) , ok the screen is a lot smaller with only 25.5 inches ,
no known issues so far , mate has bought one because the iMac has no blue ray drive to offer , the sound with two speakers and a subwoofer inside is quiet impressive for a AIO

.....but do you really want to look at that big black thing on your desk

vaio-rt-2-thumb.jpg

windowslivewriter1dc4d020a466-d7e7sony-vaio-rt-thumb.jpg

instead of this beauty
imac27.jpg

i mean the iMac might have some problems , and ok you might have to return it for repairs sometimes , but it looks far better and offers osx

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom
Could not possibly agree more!

Go on... try harder :D

FWIW My i7 has a yellow bottom half - as long as it doesn't get worse (it wasn't there to begin with as I did look) and nothing else develops I'll hold onto it until reports of problem dry up and then get it sorted out on Applecare.

BelowTheBelt

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
I have three of the i7's now delivered now. No problems

Simply an excellent computer, experience it for your self.

dbryce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
A question

Can we get iMac exchanged within a year if problems continue to appear to newer model or will we be stuck with same model & whatever is in stock?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
don't expect apple to exchange your yellow tinge 27" iMac in 9 month to a new 31" iMac with dual i7 processor configuration :rolleyes:
you will get it repaired , as apple has realised it cost them a lot money to exchange every iMac 2-3 times

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I only see subjective opinions here. No benchmarks or details on why people should not buy an iMac 27". My friend just got one to replace his aging MacBook from his parents and it's working just fine. None of the issues you described or any of the subjective ones. I highly doubt that you got multiple replacement units and still got the same exact problems each time. Statistically, it's extremely unlikely.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Based on my experience with an i5 which has been running great 24/7 over the last 2 weeks, I would personally highly recommend one.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
its not impossible packard bell is building such a thing , i mean a over 30" screen all in one pc ,no dual i7 configuration just a 2.8GHz Pentium D processor and 1GB of RAM but a nice huge 32 inch screen

Packard_Bell-Smart-TV-32.jpg

but back to the issues of the apples

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
dont worry it will stop soon with these 27" threads , as soon as the last person on earth got a working iMac all will stop

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
if you dont like it you can always buy a
sony vaio rt it has Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 processor and 4096MB of DDR2 SDRAM memory, 1 TB of disk space, an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT GPU, Blu-ray writer (50gb on one disc ) , ok the screen is a lot smaller with only 25.5 inches ,
no known issues so far , mate has bought one because the iMac has no blue ray drive to offer , the sound with two speakers and a subwoofer inside is quiet impressive for a AIO

.....but do you really want to look at that big black thing on your desk

vaio-rt-2-thumb.jpg

windowslivewriter1dc4d020a466-d7e7sony-vaio-rt-thumb.jpg

instead of this beauty
imac27.jpg

i mean the iMac might have some problems , and ok you might have to return it for repairs sometimes , but it looks far better and offers osx

Sony did a great job pairing this system with what looks like a $5 mouse from Target!

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
My iMac has been working good so far.
No yellow tint whatsoever.

I do have backlight bleeding though, which I'm actually not sure of yet, since when I lay back in my computer chair, I really don't see it at all.
So it might be the way I'm looking at it.

But anyway, yeah the failure rate has been higher than usual on these.
It definitely isn't the worst they have ever made.
Take a look at the Flower Power Mac (I think that's what they called it)

However, I may be mistaking, but this product seems to have a very high failure rate, unlike many other things that Apple release.

rdsii64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
Imacs are great machines

I know this is a 27 ich imac thread but based on my late 09 24 inch model, these are the best machines I have ever owned. The only reason I don't run out and get my own 27 inch imac is my 24 inch is working perfectly.

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
My i7 arrived fine and wow the difference from a 24" 2.8.

Then a week in pixel started dying. Not alot but to many for a week old $2000 machine. Also, sometimes it turns itself off at night. ha

My reason for posting is that I am so happy that apple said I can hold it for another month before sending it back for a new one. Hopefully by then all iMacs will be shipping error free.

Editor-

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
I'm bored with these threads

I'm bored with the fact that Apple can't fix it's problems. Friend of mine received his 27" yesterday WITH the update, and yes.. very nice flickering time.

And the yellow tinge thingie, hell yeah it's annoying definitely. When he types in word (white screen) it looks like his cat peed all over his right side screen, now you tell me..is that normal?

Hell yeah I'm dissapointed, I expected this to be my MAC swing adventure but no.. it definitely wasn't

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
I'm on my second one in two weeks, and this one just started flickering today. The screen pulled itself down so that the bottom tray was at the top. Then it corrected itself and started flickering. This is absolutely unacceptable. I'm not going out of my way to find flaws. My first mac is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth. My PC's never had problems straight out of the box.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I'm on my second one in two weeks, and this one just started flickering today. The screen pulled itself down so that the bottom tray was at the top. Then it corrected itself and started flickering. This is absolutely unacceptable. I'm not going out of my way to find flaws. My first mac is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth. My PC's never had problems straight out of the box.
It happens. My first Mac mini was DOA. That was then, and since I must've bought, oh, 15 Macs with no problems? ;)

It's horrible when you get a bad product, and I'm talking from all manufacturers here. Yes, I know there are some specific issues that are more common on these new iMacs, but try not to be too disappointed.

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
It happens. My first Mac mini was DOA. That was then, and since I must've bought, oh, 15 Macs with no problems? ;)

It's horrible when you get a bad product, and I'm talking from all manufacturers here. Yes, I know there are some specific issues that are more common on these new iMacs, but try not to be too disappointed.

It's hard not to get frustrated. The main reason I made the switch is because I want something that just works. I love everything about this thing, except for the screen issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.