Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xoox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Hi guys

I already have a Samsung to make calls. I am looking to purchase a new iPhone to just use apps, surf internet (with Wifi), etc. I would like to know if it is possible to use the iPhone that way.

Or is it mandatory to buy a cell phone plan. Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ukcolinr

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
UK
Would you not be better off considering an iPod touch? You can have the larger capacity and it'll cost much less than buying an iPhone without a contract. It's also much smaller...

But in answer to your question, You'd have to activate it through iTunes using an elligible SIM, but once it's activated it should work to my knowledge, it'll just pop up saying No Sim Installed every now and then.

xoox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Thank you guys for the reply. There are some complexities here. That's why I have to go for an iPhone and start using it to make calls from two months later or so.

By the way, I hope you can clarify one more doubt of mine. I intend to use my other SIM card to activate iTunes. But is there any problem with the contact details on the SIM getting erased? I was warned about this by a friend that using another SIM to merely activate your iPhone can make you lose all contacts.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I use Outlook to sync with my phone, so it'll suck if I ever get a non-iPhone in the future (unless it syncs with Outlook). I wasn't even sure it was possible to transfer numbers over via the sim card, is it?:confused:

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
Thank you guys for the reply. There are some complexities here. That's why I have to go for an iPhone and start using it to make calls from two months later or so.

By the way, I hope you can clarify one more doubt of mine. I intend to use my other SIM card to activate iTunes. But is there any problem with the contact details on the SIM getting erased? I was warned about this by a friend that using another SIM to merely activate your iPhone can make you lose all contacts.

from my experience the iphone never messed with the contacts on my SIM cards. it has the ability to import from a sim card but i never saw an option for the iphone to write to a sim card. i think you should be safe.

about the activation: you need an AT&T sim with an iphone data plan to activate the phone, if not then the activation process will add the plan on for you if you are on AT&T. if you know someone with an iphone you can borrow their sim to activate it and the just leave the phone in airplane mode, but you need to do this anytime you restore the phone's software.

you can also jail break the phone to activate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.