Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Looks like Sony's got a tablet too...looks very Apple-esque if you ask me.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/sony-introduces-dash-internet-viewer-touchscreen-tablet/

sony-ces-2010-0271-rm-eng.jpg

We've got another one, folks: Sony's doing a tablet. The Dash Internet Viewer is a touchscreen WiFi device which can be propped up like a digital photo or toted around the home like... a tablet. Sony claims to have "over 1,000 free apps," which sounds dubious but potentially exciting, and we're already feeling that Gmail widget on the home screen pictured above. Developing...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Looks interesting. Gizmodo details the kind of apps it'll play. Depending on battery life, it might be pretty cool. Although if I were getting something like that, I'd like some kind of offline playing ability, e.g. for airplanes. But very nice, Sony. It's really pretty.

harleygold

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
Anderson
very cool. Sony had to get it out or Apple would overwhelm and this tablet would have been yesterdays news. nice, though. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yeah it is almost like these companies see it coming and are throwing out any and all crap and/or make believe images that they can at the last minute.

My thoughts exactly. I won't buy it and it probably will be sucky hardware, but whatever Apple releases in tablet form people will buy. Seems to me that everyone wants to say "me too" before Apple gets their chance.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
its not a tablet, more like a chumby classic model. its not portable.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Sony's not marketing this as a tablet, or as a computer, it's an internet appliance. Like Apple, a lot of design effort is part of the price.

Not having wireless-n is disappointing. Coupled with apps to do "smart home" functions over wifi, it could have some interesting applications as a small room media player and controller for $200.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Other than acting as a backup for the alarm clock, what would a battery do for anyone?

I think, initially, the thought was that this device would have some "iSlate" like capabilities -- like it could be dragged to the couch to watch movies, taken on airplanes, etc. That is, when it was first being talked about, I don't think people thought it was just a prettier Chumby.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Okay, that's where I think a lot of folks here go astray . . . that it has to be a computer and run the currrent OS and applications, whereas I'm interested in smart appliances. There's already Vaio sub notebooks, with batteries, that can do the "heavy lifting" in a small portable package, but not for $200. ;)

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Is this device meant to actually be a tablet? No. It's a home media device, something that would go in the room or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.