Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toolbox101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
New York City, NY
It seems like every time I go to empty the trash my mac likes to default to "secure empty trash" which is usually fine but sometimes I'd really like to just plain "empty trash." I was wondering if anyone knows a way to change this? I looked in system preferences but I couldn't seem to find an appropriate setting (then again I could just be oblivious). Thanks!

I have a 17" MBP from 2008 with 10.6.2 installed.

MacForMeOneDay

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Under the Finder -- Preferences -- Advanced, uncheck the "Empty Trash Securely."

If you like Secure Empty for the majority of the time, but on occasion just want to do a quick delete, you can also do the following:
Right Click on the Trash Icon You should see Securely Empty Trash. (Actually mine says "Secur...rash")
If you push the Command key, it should change to just Empty Trash

toolbox101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
New York City, NY
Sorry. To be more clear:

When I control+click on the trash can the option says "empty trash" but once I select it a small window pops up with options to either "secure empty trash" or "cancel." Just for the hell of it I tried to control+click and then use command to toggle to "secure empty trash" but once I selected "secure empty trash" it still presented the same options (which I realize is a sort of "well duh" moment, but I thought telling you what I tried my help further diagnose the problem).

I also looked in System Preferences in the finder and was unable to locate advanced preferences or settings.

Thanks again for your help!

MacForMeOneDay

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Sorry. To be more clear:

When I control+click on the trash can the option says "empty trash" but once I select it a small window pops up with options to either "secure empty trash" or "cancel." Just for the hell of it I tried to control+click and then use command to toggle to "secure empty trash" but once I selected "secure empty trash" it still presented the same options (which I realize is a sort of "well duh" moment, but I thought telling you what I tried my help further diagnose the problem).

I also looked in System Preferences in the finder and was unable to locate advanced preferences or settings.

Thanks again for your help!

So it appears that your Finder default is set to "Securely Empty Trash", which apparently will Securely empty the trash whether or not it says Empty Trash or Securely Empty Trash on the Dock when you control click.

The Preference is a Finder Preference, not a System Preference. Open a Finder Window, Look at the Menu Bar and Choose Finder -> Preferences then select the Advanced tab.
20100107-xwrwhbty8hwiw2arytritst6ej.jpg

You should see the Empty Trash Securely option selected. Unselect it. Then you can use the Command option to securely empty.
20100107-nmr8ak41yer3h48j7j8h178p73.jpg

MacForMeOneDay

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Excellent. It worked. Thank you so much for your help. I'm sorry that I didn't realize the difference myself.

Actually I would classify this as a GUI bug or inconsistency at least.
When the default is set to Secure, then the Dock should say Securely Empty Trash and the Command key should toggle it to just "Empty Trash"

I guess it depends on which setting is considered to take precedence. Which I too just found out that the Preferences does. I too didn't notice, but because I had my default "unchecked". So the toggle actually worked as expected. :D

merryn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
question

Hi, i do not have the option to remove the setting "secure empty trash"
can anyone suggest how i can remove this setting?

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 270

lagunita

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
Unable to undue Secure Empty Trash

I go into Finder -> Advanced Preferences, and no matter if the Empty Trash Securely is checked or not, it will empty trash automatically the moment I send something to Trash. I want to have the option to empty when I want to, as sometimes I trash something by accident.

If I right click on the Trash it only gives me the option to Open. The Empty Trash is there but not active.

Not sure what else to do.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-04-29 at 2.08.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-04-29 at 2.08.09 PM.png
    31 KB · Views: 225
  • Screen shot 2015-04-29 at 2.08.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-04-29 at 2.08.51 PM.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 494
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.