Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I guess no one knows about Circus Ponies Notebook. It's the number one note taking software designed exclusively for the Mac and it works well. They are at Macworld every single year.
There's a free download (trial) but it's $49., $29 for students. http://www.circusponies.com/

+1 I used to be a OneNote user and thought Notebook was inferior...at first. Then when I watched the vids on Circus Ponies site I learned the keyboard shortcuts and really fell in love with Notebook. Its hard for me to go back to one note now.

toebs

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
I know this is an old thread but its still relevant.

Does any of these (Curio, OmniOutliner, The Journler, Circus Ponies, SoHo Notes) both work in windows and OsX, or is it easy to import files from any of these to OneNote?

I use OneNote in windows, and in OsX i use the notebook function of Word, but it really isnt that good with a digitizer.

Macguru222

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
OneNote = Mac Journal

I used OneNote at work until our company went Mac (I believe that makes us switchers :). Our entire staff (about 30 designers/artists) went with Mac Journal and haven't looked back. It's an organizer, a word processor, a blog client, pretty much anything you want it to be. I bet we have some people using Mac Journal just as much as their design apps. It's definitely a OneNote replacement in our book.

jwsmom

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
I've recently switched to a Mac. Loved my OneNote. Have tried Journler and Evernote. They both don't come close to OneNote.
I want the tabs, ability to write anywhere on the page and drop and drag. I love the colors of onenote. I will go and look at the above selections and see what's what.

ArthurDaley

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Mac equivalent of OneNote

Yay!

Eventually.

Ever since I went Mac I've been disappointed that there was nothing out there close to Microsoft OneNote. It hurt as it's a really great product.

BUT tonight I discovered something which I find even better and I know I'm not the only one who has been looking for a Onenote for the Mac.

It's Curio - see http://www.zengobi.com/products/curio

macilliterate

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
parallels

I own a pc but would like to purchase a mac. however, with my business, i need to be able to have one note as well. (not an equivelent) Someone posted something about Parallels at the beginning... can you let me know if its possible to run one note off of a mac and how.

(like i said - mac ILLITERATE... any help is appreciated)

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I guess no one knows about Circus Ponies Notebook. It's the number one note taking software designed exclusively for the Mac and it works well. They are at Macworld every single year.
There's a free download (trial) but it's $49., $29 for students. http://www.circusponies.com/

I got this in one of the mac software bundles (Heist? Update? One of them) and definitely think it's an excellent alternative to OneNote, though it's features can be overwhelming at first.

jetoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
I own a pc but would like to purchase a mac. however, with my business, i need to be able to have one note as well. (not an equivelent) Someone posted something about Parallels at the beginning... can you let me know if its possible to run one note off of a mac and how.

(like i said - mac ILLITERATE... any help is appreciated)

There's thread about it everywhere on the forum.
What you need is a virtualization software like Parallels, Vmware fusion... and install Windows on it. Then, you can run every software (except game) directly from the virtual machine.
With the latest version of Parallels, there's a Crystal mode where you can integrate the Start Windows bar into the Dock, which is very useful.

Serif

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
UK
I've found that Together handles information organization very well, though it might require someone used to OneNote to think differently.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I have been using Notebook (Circus Ponies) for a few months( got it in a MacBundle). The more I use it the more capabilities it seems to have. Very nice application. Works well. I use it everyday, all day long. And as for typing anywhere on a page, use a Note page, and you can do that.

iron4mac

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
Numbers is better than onenote!

Yay!

Eventually.

Ever since I went Mac I've been disappointed that there was nothing out there close to Microsoft OneNote. It hurt as it's a really great product.

BUT tonight I discovered something which I find even better and I know I'm not the only one who has been looking for a Onenote for the Mac.

>>>as many of you I have expected to have an excellent equivalent software that can do the things like that of onenote. I have tried different ones and was not satisfied. For example, the flexibility of drawings, locations of texts, graphs, other media that I may want to insert at a flexible location on the page. I have a mac running on powerpc. So parallel or other VM etc is not usable. Finally, I turned to Numbers of iwork. I found numbers is extremely friendly to create text boxes, graph, inserting photos, tables, audio, movies at any location you may want. Also, the auto alignment guide is extremely helpful to arrange many sections.

Many of you can stop searching or waiting and use numbers to do your notes. Forget onnote. Forget to load a windows to run it. Numbers is a better data processing software than other database-like notebook, like bento3 that is too slow although it has many good sync functions.

except lack of indexing or searching between sheets (I am a user not a programmer), Numebrs does a pretty good job when you start with a blank sheet. Fly your mind as I do. Especially, I like the functions of the tables which other notebook does not provide. Each file can be protected as well.

Have fun. If you ever discuss some other good features that we can use in notes taking, please spend some time and upload here.

subroutines

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
I have tried both circus ponies' notebook and Curio. Both are great products but I have to give edge to curio. It definitely fulfills all of the functionality from oneNote making it a solid alternative, along with some nice additional features like index cards and mind maps. Evernote, on the otherhand, for Mac is lacking in many features you would find in oneNote or the Mac alternatives just mentioned.

TheAshMan

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2009
Washington D.C.
The best choice is Parallels in XP or just stick with Windows

I have been an avid OneNote user for a few years, I have searched for a OneNote replacement on the Mac and I'm sorry, nothing else comes close for me. I have tried the CircusPonies, Evernote, and Curio, which are all decent apps and fine for light use, but all are disappointing compared to OneNote. OneNote is robust and scales well with heavy use and has a lot of great features. The others could be better if I dedicated more time to them, but for professional use, sharing with others, and synching between multiple machines there is no contest. I dump everything in there and it is the best tool for work I have ever used. I used to keep all my files in folders on disk, wasting time organizing it. Now I just put my workflow in the virtual notebook that accepts so much content and my life is a lot easier. I used to print out web pages and white papers and file them. Now I "print" them to OneNote where they are fully indexed and searchable. It can improve your productivity a lot. OneNote 2010 is even better, if she is a heavy user, give her boot camp or a Windows machine. I hope Microsoft makes a version for the Mac with the next Office 2010, I would buy that instantly. For now, I keep running XP in a VM solely for Outlook and OneNote.

Good Luck.

TheAshMan

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2009
Washington D.C.
Hey all -

I've long be a microsoft onenote user on my pc at work and have been looking for something equivalent for my mac. I found this program:

http://www.journler.com

Its great! has most of the functionality, but there is no easy way to transfer your onenote files. Personally I don't use my work notes while I'm at home anyway, but I do like to document my thoughts, etc.. in a trusted system for personal stuff.

These guys are also working hard to update it and make it a killer product, especially recently, as they just started charged for licenses. If you ask me, its well worth it.

gabe
Journler was shut down by the developer, so bad option. Sad, looks like a good product.

peterjp80

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
Evernote

Circus Ponies Notebook looks awesome, but it only works on Mac...so if your stuck using a PC at work, you can't keep all your notes in one place. My advice is to use Evernote. It's works with PC, Mac, and iPhone.

TodaysTopTech

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
UK and Sweden
Curio worth a try

Hi all, probably a bit late now, but just incase anyone reads this post looking still looking for a OneNote replacement, we recently reviewed Curio 6.4 and became instant fans! For anyone looking for something on the Mac for storing their ideas, doc's, brainstorms, webclips etc. It even integrates with Evernote so you can drag/drop your mobile phone Evernote's onto your Curio Idea's space. Having tried various similar bits of software which were to restrictive, we settled on Curio as our software of choice both for the office, and for home use too!! We honestly loved this Curio...

There's also a 20% discount off the price of Curio this week, pop on over to our website for full details and to read the review if you want to know a bit more about Curio.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Has anyone tried using Crossover?:rolleyes:

CrossOver OneNote works OK. Don't think you'll be able to get Mail and CrossOver to play with each other. No other problems besides lack of screen clipping capability.

Oh yeah - COPY AND PASTE WILL CRASH THE APP :mad:

ArthurDaley

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
TheAshMan - it sounds me to like you want to try a combination of Curio (which has EverNote integration should you wish) and also DevonThink (ugly interface though).

I used OneNote a lot and loved it. However I find Curio more flexible. Curio is your only OneNote option on the Mac, it's clear others suggesting other things have not used OneNote much. The only gripe I have with Curio is the Undo function can be broken (this is known to the developer http://www.zengobi.com/products/curio/)

If you have a lot of indexing to do take a look at DevonAgent and DevonThink.

I think such a combo can achieve more than OneNote.

To the other poster about using OneNote in a networked shared mode. I'm not aware of it and certainly Curio does not support it, even syncing between Macs you have to shut down on one machine before opening on another, it's got no in-built sync (e.g. WedDav support) like say OmniFocus.

To the poster who asked if Office 2011 would include OneNote, no it won't. However I do recommend Office 2011 over previous Mac versions, it's faster and crashes less (you can go download the Beta free).

Sergio11

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
Has anyone tried using Crossover?:rolleyes:
Hola,

I have tried CrossOver for some Windows programs I had that I loved, and found it to be too slow and buggy. Not everything works, it crashes on and off without rhyme or reason, etc. Finally, I figured out that my life would be easier if I gave up those programs altogether.

I had the same experience with programs for X-11, and not free programs, programs I had to pay for.

After my experience with CrossOver and X-11, I am afraid to try VMWare Fusion or Parallels.

Now my motto is, if when in Rome, we do as the Romans do, then when in Mac, we use native Mac programs.

Greetings

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Decent Solution

FINALLY! I was running OneNote '03 via CrossOver but hated running it.

Although it is disappointing that Microsoft isn't giving us OneNote in the upcoming MS Office 2011 for Mac, enter Office Web Apps!

Office Web Apps was just released with Office 2010 about two weeks ago. What it is: Online, web-browser versions of the main Office Apps. So you can use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AND (drum-roll please) OneNote!

It's great so far, I'm in the process of transferring my notebooks into it, bye bye CrossOver! It works good, it's native, can access anywhere, I'm in love. Although it is a light version, so it doesn't have every advanced option the full-suite would give you, but still it works for me and probably most. This is the closest you're going to get for OneNote on Macs.

Check it out: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps/

Oh, did I mention it's free? Enjoy!

*EDIT* Okay, I got a little too giddy. After a few days of using it I see that it's certainly not as useful as the real thing, it's more of an organized word processor, you can't click anywhere and type. But maybe they'll make it better in the future. Still gonna use it I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.