Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
I have one of the black macbooks with c2d, a GMA950 graphics card, and 2 gig of ram. When I run Windows XP in Fusion, the fan runs almost constantly - even without any windows applications running (antivirus is running). This bothers me.

It's getting time for me to consider a new laptop. Does anyone have any experience with the GeForce 9400M or 9600GT video card laptops? I'm wondering if my experience will be different with either video card.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
The virtual machine is a strain on the system no matter what laptop you get the fan will run a bit faster than without having the virtual machine opened.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have one of the black macbooks with c2d, a GMA950 graphics card, and 2 gig of ram. When I run Windows XP in Fusion, the fan runs almost constantly - even without any windows applications running (antivirus is running). This bothers me.
If they didn't run, it would cook your computer and that would probably bother you more ;)

Vmware is using the CPU/GPU to an extent that its increasing the temperature and so the fans are turning on to compensate for the increase, if they didn't increase you could potentially damage your computer.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
If they didn't run, it would cook your computer and that would probably bother you more ;)

Vmware is using the CPU/GPU to an extent that its increasing the temperature and so the fans are turning on to compensate for the increase, if they didn't increase you could potentially damage your computer.

I realize it is a heat issue. I'm wondering if the different video chips/card will make a difference or if that is "just the way it works".

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I realize it is a heat issue. I'm wondering if the different video chips/card will make a difference or if that is "just the way it works".

It's actually "just the way it works". Stressing the CPU generates heat and heat causes the fans the rev up. No matter what GPU you have, whether its the 9400M or the 9600GT.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Just the way it works. No other advice can be given other then let the machine operate as it was designed to, i.e., letting the fans run.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
More RAM might help in any case. Both Mac OS and Windows are much happier with 2GB to themselves.

I don't always get full fans every time I run Fusion, but I do get them if I start taxing either system, and I definitely get full fans on the MBP in Boot Camp under even modest load since it ONLY uses the 9600.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.