Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarrenC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
Greensboro, NC
I'd like to add different albums on my iPhone but I don't know how. I have a PC so I don't use iPhoto. Under Photos I only have the Camera Roll and the Photo Library (sync from PC). How do I create a new album so I can keep my photos organized?

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1389

...you can sync all of the photos in a selected folder, or only photos in specific folders inside the selected folder. Folders inside the selected folder will be displayed as photo albums on the iPod, but not subfolders beneath them.

AutomaticHaze

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Texas
Just make a folder on your PC with all the photos you want in that album, name it what you want..and sync it to your phone.

Drink151

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
photo library

I'd like to add different albums on my iPhone but I don't know how. I have a PC so I don't use iPhoto. Under Photos I only have the Camera Roll and the Photo Library (sync from PC). How do I create a new album so I can keep my photos organized?

If you create folders in the folder you have your pictures in and sync the sub folders they show up as differnt albums on the Iphone.

Hope that helps.
Drink

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
yes, but it still annoying that the camera only saves to one album, camera roll, and that there is no means to move pics from there to other albums.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I think the point is that it would be nice to be able to click a + (like other apps UIs), add a new album, and move whatever files you wanted from your Camera Roll, etc to the new album. I'd like this so I can get my wallpapers to a "Wallpapers" album, but I'm not so interested that I'm going to go syncing and resyncing and playing around with it.

Maybe they'll add this capability someday.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Plug the iPhone into your computer, copy the photos you've taken with it to your harddrive into a new folder you've created with your album title then sync that folder to the iPhone? Works for me unless I'm missing something.

Works for me too! Although I agree, it would be much better if you could create/edit folders right on the iPhone.

DarrenC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
Greensboro, NC
I think the point is that it would be nice to be able to click a + (like other apps UIs), add a new album, and move whatever files you wanted from your Camera Roll, etc to the new album. I'd like this so I can get my wallpapers to a "Wallpapers" album, but I'm not so interested that I'm going to go syncing and resyncing and playing around with it.

Maybe they'll add this capability someday.

EXACTLY! It would be great to create a contacts album so all my contact's pictures are there, and wallpapers and lots of others.

Thanks for the 'subfolder' info though. Didn't know that. You guys are a great help!

mac-I-bear

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
wake forest NC
how do you do that ???

Plug the iPhone into your computer, copy the photos you've taken with it to your harddrive into a new folder you've created with your album title then sync that folder to the iPhone? Works for me unless I'm missing something.

after i plug the iphone to the mac, how do i copy the photos in the camera roll to the mac's hard drive - itunes does not let me do a thing - need some detail for a newbie PLEASE

Rom57

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Photo-Sort

Take a look also at this application: Photo-Sort
It is one way to organize your photos

rakel

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2010
The problem with Photo-Sort and other similar Apps, is that they create folders within the Apps... so you couldn't make a Wallpaper folder, and then be able to access it through Settings. I've deleted all of the apps like that that I downloaded because ultimately that is not the solution that I want.

Really, all I want is the ability to add folders on the device, and then be able to move photos between the different folders. What, Apple, is so difficult about that?!?

I was hoping that I would be able to find an App that would at least let me move photos from the camera roll to folders that I already created on my computer. The closest thing I've found so far is Roll Swap, which is not compatible with ios4.

How to Create Folders & Transfer Photos on Windows XP
For those of you who are running Windows and don't know how to transfer your photos from your iPhone to your computer, here are some instructions for XP. I'm not sure how this process differs for Vista or 7. Basically, you computer will treat the iPhone like a digital camera.

1. Plug in your iPhone to your computer using the USB cable.
  2. Once plugged in, a window should pop-up saying, "Apple iPhone. Camera Connected. Select the program to launch for this action." In the list should be "Microsoft Camera and Scanner Wizard" ... select this and follow the on-screen instructions to download your images to a folder on your computer.
  3. If it doesn't pop-up, then you can also prompt the Camera and Scanner Wizard by going to My Computer. Under Scanners & Camera's your iPhone should be listed. If you double click it will show all of the images in your Camera Roll. You can copy and paste these into any folder on your computer.
  4. Once you have your photos, you can know organize them into folders somewhere on your computer. If you already have set up a sync folder in iTunes for your photos, put them in there. If you haven't, then go into iTunes and specify the folder you are organizing your photos into as your sync folder.
  5. Then, sync your iPhone, and now your folders should show up on your iPhone.

ifone3gs

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
iPhone Photo Albums

Here's what I did (previous posts allude to the same thing, but I found them not 100% clear until I eventually did it? So please forgive this long version):

Out of the many photos in my various albums on my windows pc, I only want to carry around a selected few, but sorted into different 'albums' on my iPhone 3gs. (e.g. New York '11, or Fall '08 etc)

From my main New York '11 Folder (in the pc), I copy the few that I want to be in my phone into another folder named i-New York '11. I repeat this for all the albums that I select from. I now have quite a few folders in my 'Pictures' (?) named 'i-whatever'; which contain the 'edited highlights' that I want to carry in the phone, each containing the selected 'highlights' form their larger parent folder.

I make another folder named: "iPhone photos" & copy all the (smaller) 'i-whatever' folders into it. (iTunes will only sync 1 folder)

I sync this last 'iPhone photos' folder onto my iPhone. It appears as the 'Photo Library' in the 'Albums' section on the phone.

The 'sub-folders' now hold the different 'albums' under their respective names. This was the only way I could have my photos seperate & not all jumbled into one mass of photos (which the iPhone previously didn't even hold in their correct sequence).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.