Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xoox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Guys,

Just purchased my new iPhone and I have observed that the device is giving a lot of strain to my eyes and my head aches too. I have tried reducing the brightness, but the problem still persists.Anyone faced it before?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Sounds like you might need reading glasses.

There's an easy way to do a test: go to a local drug store and try some off-the-shelf reading glasses and see if you feel less strain.

A cheap pair might be enough to help, but in the long run, you are better off getting a prescription pair (store bought pairs don't correct for astigmatism).

xoox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Well, I already wear glasses. But I haven't had this headache and problems with eye till two days back when I got my iPhone. The problems have started only after using the iPhone.

There is no problem otherwise when I use my computer, or the older Samsung phone..

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
The same thing happened some years ago when I got my first Palm III. I'm not sure exactly how I eventually got used to it.

xoox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
I guess our body system needs time to get adjusted to the halo of smartness surrounding these phones...uh..

xoox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Possibly, but then I am like forever in front of my PC. This is not the first time I am exposed to some digital screen either..My earlier phone was also touchscreen..

I am going to reduce the brightness completely and try it once more after sometime..

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I used to experience it when I first switched to the iPhone. Don't worry, you'll get better overtime. Just try not to use it excessively. ;)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Well, I already wear glasses. But I haven't had this headache and problems with eye till two days back when I got my iPhone. The problems have started only after using the iPhone.

When was the last time you had your eyes checked? The iPhone has a small screen and we use it a lot, so it would not be surprising if vision changes bothered you first on your iPhone.

courtney.bella

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2009
texas
Possibly, but then I am like forever in front of my PC. This is not the first time I am exposed to some digital screen either..My earlier phone was also touchscreen..

I am going to reduce the brightness completely and try it once more after sometime..

The iPhone's screen, while large for a cell phone, is still extremely small, and the type is really, really small. It could be because you need to get used to the rendering and type on the phone.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Does your iPhone display scan lines of any sort? A lot of iPhones have a problem with the refresh rate or something that causes horizontal lines to appear in the screen when you move your eyes or the device.

I'm very lucky to have gotten an iPhone without these scan lines on my 4th return. I also tried buying an iPhone 3GS, but it also had the same issue. So for now, I'm just using my iPhone 3G.

iHurt

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to see how XOOX's eyes are doing? Did you get used to the strain?

I just bought a new Iphone and am experiencing very similar issues. I can't look at the phone for even a few seconds without feeling mild eye strain. I have reading glasses too and this has never been a problem for me on my old Blackjack or looking at any computer monitors. Heck, I'm an accountant and I stare at Excel spreadsheets all day without pain, but the Iphone has broken me.

Anyway, just wanted to see if you eventually got used to it or if you returned it.

xoox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
@iHurt

I had completely forgotten about this problem until you posted here..I just guess all the headache and stuff went away after a few days or so..

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Actually, reducing the brightness will make it worse, not better. Try using the phone in full brightness in a lit room. Don't use it in the dark. The darkness causes your pupils to dilate and this reduces the ability of your eyes to focus.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
this is one of my biggest gripes about the iphone...u have to admit the fonts for text messages are too small,even my old motorola would let you change the fonts.....another plus for BB's your can change the font size and make it bold for easier reading..
thanks again apple now update the damn phone ! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.