Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
Does anyone know of a 802.11n USB adapter that will work with the iBook G4?

I hate that I have a 11n wireless router that can only operate at G speeds, because of my Tivo and iBook G4. I can use the phone line for my Tivo, but still need a way to get my iBook up to N.

I'll be acquiring a ATV soon, as well, and I think that will benefit tremendously from N.

Thanks

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
you want internal?

If you want to hook an external wireless N adapter, those are easy to find. Just google it. As far as an internal wireless N adapter goes, they started making the wireless N adapters into the Intel based Macs. Some use 2 antennas and some use 3. I don't believe any of the wireless N adapters will work on the Power PC Macs.

noodles168

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
802.11n usb adaptor

From Macworld weekly:
You can, however, add 802.11n via USB. For example, Other World Computing sells the MaxPower 802.11n/g/b Wireless USB 2.0 Stick Adapter for $50. Jack it into a USB 2.0 port, install the driver, choose it as the wireless adapter you'd like to use, and your older iMac is communicating at 802.11n speeds.

Does anyone know of a 802.11n USB adapter that will work with the iBook G4?

I hate that I have a 11n wireless router that can only operate at G speeds, because of my Tivo and iBook G4. I can use the phone line for my Tivo, but still need a way to get my iBook up to N.

I'll be acquiring a ATV soon, as well, and I think that will benefit tremendously from N.

Thanks

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
From Macworld weekly:
You can, however, add 802.11n via USB. For example, Other World Computing sells the MaxPower 802.11n/g/b Wireless USB 2.0 Stick Adapter for $50. Jack it into a USB 2.0 port, install the driver, choose it as the wireless adapter you'd like to use, and your older iMac is communicating at 802.11n speeds.

Thanks - I just saw that:

I'm deciding on either that MaxPower adapter, or another adapter that OWC sells:

Edimax nMax

It's hard to decide when you can't find reviews for either.

nabilalk

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
RE: MAXPower 802.11n usb adapter

@jb60606: Just bought the MAXPower, opted for that one because the dock supposedly will allow for better range since you can move it to the optimal position. I will post back with a review after I had time to test out.

I noticed that it has been a month since your last post, have you purchased one of the two since that time, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Here are two reviews that I found on the MAXPower 802.11n usb adapter: http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=3293

http://colleges.com/umagazine/2008summer/gadget/newertechnology.maxpower.html

-NKA

nabilalk

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.