Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008

EDIT: HAHA, I knew I would run into something!! 3 discs in a row have simply stopped ripping about 5 minutes in. Thoughts? Im sure its something Im missing.

Not sure what I was doing wrong, but it all seems to be working now. Excellent tool Jedi. Im still only using the Batch Rip but plan on figuring out the encode tonight.
Now if only I could get my PS3 Media Server to start working consistently!

cadujr

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
First let me just thank you for a great work!!!
I'm having a odd issue.
I installed everything in my MBP and everything went ok, i even manage to add some personal settings in order to get a better video quality.
I tried to install everything on a mac mini but i'm getting this odd error msg

.*Scanning DVD-ROM: FRIENDS3_D1
Copying /Volumes/FRIENDS3_D1
ditto: can't get real path for source
chmod: /Users/cadujr/Movies/Batch Rip TV/FRIENDS3_D1: No such file or directory

But i really sure that i created the folders in the right place.
AND pointed the workflow to the right path.
As i told before i got this running 100% in a MBP but can't make it work in the mini.
Any thoughts?
I really need help on this, it's driving me crazy
Regards

Cadujr

Hi Again mac.jedi

Another problem i'm running into is that when i try to use the "rename and tag tv shows" i got a error saying that the source name is not in the correct format but the file name is what "batch encode" give to the files.
I used a work around that is to type by hand "<name> - S##E" and let the workflow rename appending a number. This let the workflow runs and adds the tags but in the end i got a really odd file name , "<name> - S##E<name> - S##E##"
Am i doing something wrong?
Thanks for the awesome work
Cadujr

I'm having a odd issue.
I installed everything in my MBP and everything went ok, i even manage to add some personal settings in order to get a better video quality.

As i told before i got this running 100% in a MBP but can't make it work in the mini.
Any thoughts?
Regards

Cadujr

Any one care to help?
I'm really freaking out on this...
Help most needed
Cadujr

I'm having a odd issue.

Any thoughts?
Regards

Cadujr

I Figured that the problem is Batch Rip Dispatcher. If i Rip using the Batch Rip (Service) it works ok.

Although this tutorial is really awesome , i would like to suggest a USD 20,00 alternative to the entire Batch Rip Action that is much easier and quicker.
You can substitute all the steps to needed to implement the Rip part of the tutorial.
Just buy the ripit app ( http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/ ) (shareware, 10 free rips).
The app is as simple as possible.
1)Insert DVD
2)run the app
3)Hit "rip"
4)Let it do it's thing

The easiest way to integrate this app with the rest of the tutorial is to create the Batch rip Tv and Batch Rip Movies and point ripit to the appropriate folder.
Ripit will save the files in the correct names Batch Encode action needs to do it's thing
After ripit is done just follow the Batch Encode tutorial.
Regards
Cadujr

UPDATE: I forgot to say that you also should uncheck the " use .dvdmedia extension" box

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Although this tutorial is really awesome , i would like to suggest a USD 20,00 alternative to the entire Batch Rip Action that is much easier and quicker.
You can substitute all the steps to needed to implement the Rip part of the tutorial.
Just buy the ripit app ( http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/ ) (shareware, 10 free rips).

I tried RipIt on about a dozen discs and it failed on a third of them. I haven't used it since.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Thank you mac.jedi! I set this up last night. After a couple of hiccups, everything works great!

Do you guys know what the best quality I can rip/encode for a regular dvd? to be played on apple TV?

I did everything for 1 movie and it didn't look that great on my 52" tv. (but on the other hand, I ripped movies before with handbrake with apple tv setting and it didn't look great either).

Thanks again!

cadujr

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Me too

Thank you mac.jedi! I set this up last night. After a couple of hiccups, everything works great!

Do you guys know what the best quality I can rip/encode for a regular dvd? to be played on apple TV?

I did everything for 1 movie and it didn't look that great on my 52" tv. (but on the other hand, I ripped movies before with handbrake with apple tv setting and it didn't look great either).

Thanks again!

I second that.
I'm ripping movies with the GUI Handbrake because i can't find a way to rip it using Batch Encode with good quality, file size is not a problem to me, i just want to play it with apple tv.
Regards
Cadujr

jnyberg

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2009
Hi there,

I'm sorry if this question is already asked in this thread, but here goes:

I'm anxious to try out the new version of HandBrake, since I had some problems with verison 0.9.3. I hope it is much more stable and compatible now. I have two questions:

1. I plan on using the files on iTunes and Apple TV only. Does this automation sequence create good enough quality encodes to be watched on a 32 inch full HD TV, and not notice a huge difference from the actual DVD? Or is there some tweak I could do, to make it more to my liking?

2. I have a few DVDs with different versions of the movie (Director's Cut and Theatrical Cut for example). How can I choose which one to encode as the main feature, if everything is automated, and it automatically encodes the longest title on a DVD?

I'm sorry if these questions seem hard to understand, hope you can ge me an answer.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Need help. I'm ripping all the tv shows we have and for some reason when I "batch rip - rename & tag tv items" it makes another copy of the file with the metadata and it adds some numbers after the file name.

Is there anyway to avoid the duplicate file with extra digits at the end?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-14 at 10.43.18 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-14 at 10.43.18 PM.png
    327.9 KB · Views: 205

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
1. I plan on using the files on iTunes and Apple TV only. Does this automation sequence create good enough quality encodes to be watched on a 32 inch full HD TV, and not notice a huge difference from the actual DVD? Or is there some tweak I could do, to make it more to my liking?

I have a 42" TV and since the AppleTV is hooked up through HDMI and my DVD player is only hooked up through S-Video, they look BETTER than my original DVDs...in my case at least.

I don't think you will be disappointed. The presets that are built into these encode files are really, really good.

As for number 2, I am not sure of this answer. It seems to only rip the main movie....and I am not sure if the automation has successfully captured any secondary audio like director's commentary, but you can easily do this yourself manually.

wysinawyg

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
First off thanks to mac.jedi, only started playing with this after Christmas but it is Awesome so far. Just a shame I decided to start with American Dad where the (UK) DVDs don't remotely match the seasons. Also adding in special features etc. which makes it a bit of a pain but still soooo easy compared to the alternatives I was contemplating.

I second that.
I'm ripping movies with the GUI Handbrake because i can't find a way to rip it using Batch Encode with good quality, file size is not a problem to me, i just want to play it with apple tv.
Regards
Cadujr

I'm only just starting to play and not in front of my Mac, but isn't there a custom setting for DVD that lets you put in your own CLI? If you look a couple of pages back mac.jedi gave the code for just using the Universal preset, change that to the AppleTV preset and you should have the best quality which the Handbrake team are confident is AppleTV compatible (more or less).

Just looked it up and the suggestion was:

--preset="Universal"

so presumably

--preset="AppleTV"

works, but do check the preset is called AppleTV.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Edit: I was able to get 3 of my other Blu-Ray discs to rip so it may just be an issue with that particular one. Works like a charm otherwise!

I've done about 80 DVD's so far not counting TV episodes and it's been working very well. However I did just get a Blu-Ray drive today and have been working on that. I ended up having to use Windows to copy the disc and then I copied it over to my Mac's hard drive. I threw the data folder into the "Batch Rip Movies" and it has the subfolders of BDMV and CERTIFICATE. Also it has the videoname_info.txt file there too. So I think directory structure wise I'm okay.

I was getting an error on line 594 in the batchEncode.sh, "Too many arguments". I ended up altering the line from:
Code:
if [ ! $checkForDuplicate = "" ] ; then

to

Code:
if [ ! "$checkForDuplicate" = "" ] ; then

I no longer get the error. But now it says:

Code:
  Will encode the following tracks: 1=0 

*Creating MKV temp file of Track: 1=0
    Source size: 46G	

Skipped because file already exists

Line 708 says:

Code:
if [[ -e "$tmpFile" ...

But the file that is named in $tmpFile (I echoed it temporarily) hasn't been written. $outFile doesn't exist so that condition seems to be met. I also echoed out the $cmd to make sure I had MakeMKV installed properly.

Code:
"/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/makemkvcon" mkv file:"/Users/SilentPanda/Movies/Batch Rip Movies/vid_folder_name" 1=0 "/Users/SilentPanda/Movies/Batch Rip Movies/vid_folder_name" > /dev/null 2>&1

It seems to run fine. Anyway... that's all I could figure out for now.

gocardsfan1

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Thank you so much for posting this tutorial, but I am having a problem. When I insert a DVD, the Batch Rip Dispatcher does not display any dialog box asking me for what type of video it is. I have reset the dispatcher and clicked enable several times now, but it does not seem to work. I know that the computer sees the DVD fine because it shows up in Finder, so it must be a problem related to the Batch Rip Dispatcher (which, most likely, is something that I have done wrong in the setup).

Thanks for your help

cadujr

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Where we can get help?

Please don't think i'm complaining, but it seems that this thread does not provide help anymore. So i'm thinking if someone knows any other place to look?
I DO thanks mac.jedi for this tutorial and i DO understand that help isn't a "must do" thing so please do not accuse me of being ungrateful i just want to know if there is any other way to get help.
Thanks again
Cadujr

BTW my issues are:
Can't figure a way to make dispatcher work (just like the post above)
batch rename tv shows does not work (workaround is change the actions setup to input name, but this causes the files to end with duplicate names)
batch tag Tv shows doubles the files and adds strange numbers on it( ithink it's caused by the duplicated names)
If someone can point me were to get help i will be most thankful
Cadujr

PSUlion01

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
How do I manually enter tags/thumbs?

Great thread and workflow tools! Just a question though... for the movies, shows, etc that don't work using your service (items not in the db, etc) is there a way to manually add the tags, thumbnail/cover images, descriptions? Can this be done in iTunes so that it writes the changes to my files, or would the info only be retained in my iTunes library? Is there a way to tag these in Finder?

I'm not against adding stuff to the online db for the benefit of all others, but some of these movies are either too obscure or personal stuff that I want to add my own details, art, etc.

Thanks... great stuff!

PSUlion01

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
Closed Caption (soft titles) Success? Anyone?

I know I can manually assign the closed caption track for each disc, but I want to utilize this batch process to rip and encode, and have it automatically scan for the CC track and use it in the encode. I know I can scan for the english track, or leave the subtitle track # blank to get the first, but is there a way to identify and use the CC (soft title) track, which seems to be the last track listed on most discs? As a result, I can't hard-code, say, track 7 in my CLI batch instructions, as it won't work every time (i.e. if a disc has the CC track as #4).

Thoughts?

nixterrimus

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Source for TV show lookup and Movie Modification

This is amazing work! Thank you for posting everything here. I was wondering if you would release the source for the automator action that looks up the TV episode information and modifies the movie file. I really would like to integrate this function into another bash script I'm working with. Right now I call automator from the command line and while it works, its a little hacky. I would really appreciate it if you would.

Thanks!
-Nick

nixterrimus

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
After some poking around I found the source in ~/Library/Automator/Add TV Tags.action/Contents/Resources/main.command and noticed that the script is GPL'd. Thanks! Any helpful tips on invoking it from the command line?

It looks like it should be:

./main.command [file]

but that doesn't seem to work.

Help!

Thanks!
-Nick

wysinawyg

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
Thank you so much for posting this tutorial, but I am having a problem. When I insert a DVD, the Batch Rip Dispatcher does not display any dialog box asking me for what type of video it is. I have reset the dispatcher and clicked enable several times now, but it does not seem to work. I know that the computer sees the DVD fine because it shows up in Finder, so it must be a problem related to the Batch Rip Dispatcher (which, most likely, is something that I have done wrong in the setup).

Are you able to view the Batch Rip Dispatcher in Automator?

Have you set AutoRun (which disables the dialogue) and then just given a wrong path to Fairmount?

gocardsfan1

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Are you able to view the Batch Rip Dispatcher in Automator?

Have you set AutoRun (which disables the dialogue) and then just given a wrong path to Fairmount?

Yes, I am able to open up Batch Rip Dispatcher in Automator (I think that's what you mean by view it in Automator).

I do not have it set to AutoRun, and I have triple-checked my path to Fairmount.

P.S. If it is of any value at all, I am running an Aluminum Macbook 2.4 GHz

cwhite16

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
BD-ROM Error

I have tried to rip several BDs but each time I get the following:
Any suggestions? I have gone into the MakeMKV gui and I don't see any length setting under BD, and the minimum for dvd is 120 seconds.

batchRip.sh v1.0.4

Start: Thu 4 Feb 2010 19:50:25 AST
TV Show Output directory: /Volumes/Drobo/DVD RIPS
Movie Output directory: /Users/CWhite/Movies/Batch Rip Movies
Use only MakeMKV: No
Encode HD Sources: Yes
Growl me when complete: Yes
Eject discs when complete: Yes
Preferred Audio Language: English

WILL COPY THE FOLLOWING DISCS:
QUACK_D1_CAN

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*Scanning BD-ROM: QUACK_D1_CAN
No tracks on this disc are longer then the minimum track time setting

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PROCESSING COMPLETE
Disk /Volumes/QUACK_D1_CAN ejected
End: Thu 4 Feb 2010 19:50:50 AST
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I have tried to rip several BDs but each time I get the following:
Any suggestions? I have gone into the MakeMKV gui and I don't see any length setting under BD, and the minimum for dvd is 120 seconds.

Are you using the EAC thing? If so, send that to me the EAC info from that disc somehow and I can take a look at it. I found an issue in the batchEncode .sh where it isn't processing duplicates correctly and I'm going to try to fix that tonight. After that I might be able take a look at your issue.

How to fix "1=0" issue with Blu-Ray

In the "batchEncode.sh" there is a line that states the following:

Code:
titleList=`echo "$duplicateList" | sed 's|=[0-9].||g' | tr ' ' '\n'`

I believe the line needs to read as such (added a *):

Code:
titleList=`echo "$duplicateList" | sed 's|=[0-9].*||g' | tr ' ' '\n'`

Now that I have that fixed...

If anybody has other issues post away... if they are issues (not new features) I'll see if I can figure out what they are for ya. Overall I love this workflow and I'd be happy to help people work out the kinks with it. Not I think you guys scared mac.jedi away... :p

cwhite16

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
Are you using the EAC thing? If so, send that to me the EAC info from that disc somehow and I can take a look at it. I found an issue in the batchEncode .sh where it isn't processing duplicates correctly and I'm going to try to fix that tonight. After that I might be able take a look at your issue.

I don't know what you mean by EAC thing. Also, It's not just this disc, I have tried several:
Wall-e
Rataouille
Harry Potter 6
National Treasure
Pirates of the Caribbean

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I don't know what you mean by EAC thing. Also, It's not just this disc, I have tried several:
Wall-e
Rataouille
Harry Potter 6
National Treasure
Pirates of the Caribbean

Have you gotten any Blu-Ray discs to work at all? How are you copying them to your hard drive? If you haven't gotten any of them to work my guess would be that the copying of the disc to your hard drive isn't working properly which is why the encode process can't find anything to encode.

Edit: I've fixed another issue.

Creation of root level folders

In the batchEncode.sh there is a line (457ish) that reads:

Code:
	if [ ! -e "$sourceTmpFolder" ]; then

Change this line to:

Code:
	if [[ ! "$tmpFolder" = "" && ! -e "$sourceTmpFolder" ]]; then

Otherwise you'll get a bunch of directories created at the root of your drive, one for each disc. The function that this line is in gets called twice per disc and it looks like it was just an oversight that made the root level directories be created. This makes it see if the tmpFolder variable is empty (which it will be on the first pass) and make it not generate those folders. It will still generate them in the temp folder but the script cleans those up upon completion anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.