Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hi guys.

I have a macbook pro and will be purchasing a mac pro tower for using Maya, Photoshop, Unity 3D, Corel Painter etc.

Well, a friend of mine finally decided he wanted to work on a game with me but the problem is a lot of my software is mac only so hes going to be taking my macbook pro (that is in my sig) as a loaner while I work on the mac pro.

That leaves me laptopless except for my netbook.

I was looking at the macbook air because its PERFECT for everything I use a laptop for. My only question was if anyone was familiar with the Unity game engine if the macbook air could run it. I would only be doing scripting on the macbook pro and importing already made meshes from my server. The games I make are not graphics intensive by any means so I believe this will work just fine.

Basically my macbook air would be for coding and scripting when I'm away from my desktop. Does anyone use their air for this? I would be getting the max specs on the air.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
I have a buddy that codes on his air and loves it. He doesn't use Unity, so i can't speak for that however. As long as you don't expect quite the same performance from the air as your currently getting from your Pro, I can't imagine you'll have any problems.

You may want to wait until they refresh the airs (hopefully this month) before purchasing one. Many people are hoping they'll bump the ram to 4GB, which will help a ton :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thank you for the response :)

I too hope the ram is increased and there is a refresh this month. Coding in XCode and internet and email would be mostly what I would use the air for. Scripting in Unity wouldn't be that often because when I'm in Unity usually I have Maya and photoshop open as well and that would be done on my (future) Pro. (I use the mbp in my sig for it now and it works wonderfully).

My laptops are always my "lay in bed and work" machines so power isn't a top priority and I don't need a ton of harddrive space because everything I need would be pulled off of my server. I think the Air is the perfect fit for what I am looking for :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.