Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
I've had my MacBook Air for about a year, and one night I heard the dreaded crack. My MacBook Air suffers from the "Hinge Defect".

I decided to try to fix it myself by just gluing whatever broke together and hope it works. I took it apart and took the broken hinge out of the plastic casing.

So I have two questions. My first question is: Is it okay to leave it like this? The Right hinge is resting on the plastic hinge cover, therefore dropping the screen slightly when it is open. It works okay for now, but how long will this last?

My second question is: Say I do want to try to fix this further, how do I get the screen completely off, and how safe is it? I know I need to remove the screws that hold on the main hinges, but what about all the smaller screws? It doesn't seem to want to come off without those removed.

Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0841.png
    IMG_0841.png
    667.6 KB · Views: 6,452
  • IMG_0845.png
    IMG_0845.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,858
  • IMG_0840.png
    IMG_0840.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 976

roslee7

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
singapore
i encountered the same problem as your. i live in singapore and i brought to the service centre here. The engineer didnt ask me why it happens and instead, they changed the whole LCD coz its comes together. I was so impressed and happy with the service.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
I have taken it in (without a warranty), and they looked for the problem in their database thing, and said it was not a know problem, so it would cost me $650 to get a new screen. When did they fix it? And would me having taken it apart have any effect on them fixing it (if they would in the first place)?

When did you take it in? I thought I read they changed their policy about it.

I'm not impressed with apple at all, if I don't get this fixed for free this will surely be the last apple product I buy.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
They do fix it. I open my and removed the broken hinges and they did not care and still fixed it.]

This may be the most useful post I've received. I'm not sure why I didn't think to look on the Apple website. But I wonder, will this still help? Will I be able to show a genius this page and demand a free repair? Is this my ticket to a free fix?!

Thanks.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I don't know why the store would say no to the repairs. Lots of them know the problem and did not need me to pull up the support page for the repair.

Try another apple store to see if you can get it done.

And yes, my was out of warranty, bought it Feb 08, fixed in Sep 09.

*hit, they might of not taken you seriously if your 15. Were you with your parents right?

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
*hit, they might of not taken you seriously if your 15. Were you with your parents right?

I was thinking the same thing. My mom was in the store, just not with me. I didn't seem to get a whole lot of respect, and was told I probably broke it. So I told him about the forums and googled pictures identical to my "problem", to which he responded by saying, "Well if you google MacBook Air Cracked Screen, It will all look the same too". I didn't really know what to say from there, so I just left.

I am going in Tuesday and will have my mom with me, and then my dad will go in Wednesday if that doesn't work. So we should be taken more seriously this time. I'm going to go to the same one and just hope for a different (or recently informed) person. Good idea?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I was thinking the same thing. My mom was in the store, just not with me. I didn't seem to get a whole lot of respect, and was told I probably broke it. So I told him about the forums and googled pictures identical to my "problem", to which he responded by saying, "Well if you google MacBook Air Cracked Screen, It will all look the same too". I didn't really know what to say from there, so I just left.

I am going in Tuesday and will have my mom with me, and then my dad will go in Wednesday if that doesn't work. So we should be taken more seriously this time. I'm going to go to the same one and just hope for a different (or recently informed) person. Good idea?

Yea, I was once young like you, macs when I was 10. Hard to get people serious about you till you pull out $3,000 cash at compusa. By then, they bring out a Powerbook for you.

Bring your mom with you. Try going in at a differnt time or different day of the week to avoid the same person. Don't be a dick and print out the support page and have it on hand. Wait for them and see what they say. If they say no, just pull up the page on a near by Mac.

nufanec

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Normally that should would be fixed for free providing there is no accidental damage, but you've taken your MacBook Air apart and glued stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if you've voided your warranty or coverage for this issue by doing that.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
you've taken your MacBook Air apart and glued

I haven't glued anything together yet, and the only thing I've done is take the base off and let the broken hinge fall out so it doesn't crack the hinge casing any more. I've treated this computer like I paid $1,700 for it, so it looks like new except for that.

Do you think me removing the hinge would really matter that much to them?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I haven't glued anything together yet, and the only thing I've done is take the base off and let the broken hinge fall out so it doesn't crack the hinge casing any more. I've treated this computer like I paid $1,700 for it, so it looks like new except for that.

Do you think me removing the hinge would really matter that much to them?

It shouldn't. I had my hinge removed, some glue left over and missing the power button. I might be damn lucky to get it replaced.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Yes they did replace it. Also for some odd reason also replace the sound thingy. I have no idea why but they did.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Okay well I hope I get that lucky. I will post the results tomorrow. Thanks for all the great help guys. Wish me luck.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I called Apple Care for the exact same issue on my wife's MBA, and they repaired it with no hesitation. Though at first they wanted me to take it to an apple store, I asked if it could be handled through the mail and he said "of course, no problem."

Maybe you want to try 1-800-apl-care first to avoid the store altogether, given your experience.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks. I will try that. But I may also take it in to see what they say. I have to go to school so I won't be able to talk to them in time, but I may have someone else call for me.

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I can vouch here. My MBA had the same issue and the hinges, plastic hinge assembly, and bezel were replaced under the repair bulletin.

They should replace it.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
I didn't get a chance to go in today, but I did call and they said if I were to take it in they would fix it. I didn't feel like asking why they didn't take mine at the store because I didn't feel like being accused again.

It makes me mad because they were either an idiot for not having the correct info, or for not taking me seriously.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
These hinges are defective without any shred of doubt.

And they slowly go bad.

At first it's a little slop, then there's a weird wobble.

after that it's by-by hinge.

A defective product that is nice so that many are willing to play along. Apple is smart to step up to the plate as they would be sued for sure if they didn't.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Thank you guys so much! It's in for repair right now.

I didn't put anything back together but four screws for the base because I figured they would know I took it apart anyway. Once I said I took it apart he kind of gave me a "Sorry your screwed" look. And then he said since you took it apart we can no longer fix it for free. This is the point where I would have turned around and left, but I had my mom with me. She stepped and basically scarred the crap out of him, in a nice way. So he got his manager and I told him the only reason I took it apart is because one if his "Geniuses" told me they had no record of a hinge defect, and I had no hope for it. So he gave the other guy the okay to pack it up.

It took some arguing, and whatever else, but in 7-10 business days I will have my like-new MacBook Air!

Thanks again!

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
This would not happen if you didnt look 15. If you looked like an IT person, in their 20's like me, it would been no questions ask, take it and and overnight it back to you.

Awesome job at getting it repaired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.