Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berlinjeremy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Iphone stuck and will not turn on, cant even restore it in Itunes!!
I was trying to jailbreak my Iphone 3gs 3.1.2 with Pwnage tool and got to the part when I restore using custom restore and it will not restore. When I try to, itunes comes up with the error "the iphone could not be restored, an unknown error occurred 1600". Now I cannot even do a regular restore of update and restore. It comes up with error "the iphone cannot be restored at this time because the "iphone update server could not be contacted or is temporary unavailable."
The iphone screen is black and cannot do anything at all. frozen stuck
PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Iphone stuck and will not turn on, cant even restore it in Itunes!!
I was trying to jailbreak my Iphone 3gs 3.1.2 with Pwnage tool and got to the part when I restore using custom restore and it will not restore. When I try to, itunes comes up with the error "the iphone could not be restored, an unknown error occurred 1600". Now I cannot even do a regular restore of update and restore. It comes up with error "the iphone cannot be restored at this time because the "iphone update server could not be contacted or is temporary unavailable."
The iphone screen is black and cannot do anything at all. frozen stuck
PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Have you tried a hard reset? Press and hold Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for at least 10 seconds until it restarts. If that doesn't work, let me know. There is another thing you can try.

berlinjeremy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
hard reset does not work, it doesnt respond thelatinist. Thanks

I dont even know what an untethered iboot version is rgarjr. Thanks

I have a new iphone i was trying to jailbreak and didnt do or add anything. And havnt used blackra1n.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Well, the next step is to try iRecovery. It's a handy little tool which should be able to kick you out of DFU mode (I'm sure that's what's happened...you're stuck in DFU mode). There's a tuturial here.

berlinjeremy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
I cant type anything in on terminal. It just says

Last login: Mon Jan 11 08:50:06 on ttys000
/Users/Me/Downloads/iHackintosh\ iRecovery\ Package\ for\ Windows\ \&\ Mac.rar\ Folder/irecovery ; exit;
jeremy-berlins-macbook-2:~ Me$ /Users/Me/Downloads/iHackintosh\ iRecovery\ Package\ for\ Windows\ \&\ Mac.rar\ Folder/irecovery ; exit;
iRecovery - Recovery Utility
by westbaer
Thanks to pod2g, tom3q, planetbeing and geohot.

./iRecovery [args]
-f <file> upload file.
-r reset usb.
-c "command" sends a single command.
-s starts a shell.

logout

[Process completed]

berlinjeremy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
I got it to work and now the commands they told me to put in didnt work.
see.....

jeremy-berlins-macbook-2:~ Me$ irecovery -s
-bash: irecovery: command not found
jeremy-berlins-macbook-2:~ Me$ setenv auto-boot true saveenv /exit
-bash: setenv: command not found
jeremy-berlins-macbook-2:~ Me$

berlinjeremy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
The thing is, I dont even have the apple symble and plug on my iphone screen, its just black with no response!! I am not gettin the Irecovery to work, the commants I type in doesnt work

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
You are typing the commands in wrong. They are case sensitive, and you have to type them one at a time:

Code:
iRecovery -s [press return, wait for it to start up]

setenv auto-boot true [press return, wait for the prompt]

saveenv [press return, wait for the prompt]

/exit [press return, wait for the prompt]

berlinjeremy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
I did exactly what you said case sensetive. check it out<

Last login: Mon Jan 11 09:17:43 on ttys000
jeremy-berlins-macbook-2:~ Me$ iRecovery -s
-bash: iRecovery: command not found

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Are you in the same folder as iRecovery? You can't run it unless you are. Use the cd command to switch to the correct directory.

The thing is, I dont even have the apple symble and plug on my iphone screen, its just black with no response!! I am not gettin the Irecovery to work, the commants I type in doesnt work

In DFU mode the screen is completely blank. That's how you know it's in DFU mode rather than regular Recovery mode.

berlinjeremy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Just want to make sure, I have a mac, do I still do it this way? When I put in your code it saied no such file or directory found.
Sorry for the trouble man, Thanks so much

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
You need to type

Code:
cd /path/to/file/

replacing /path/to/file with the correct path to the iRecovery directory. For instance, if it were in /Applications/iRecovery/, you would type

Code:
cd /Applications/iRecovery/

berlinjeremy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
I am soo frustrated! Ok, just to make it simple I put the Irecovery into my applications and typed in what you wrote.

jeremy-berlins-macbook-2:~ Me$ cd /Applications/iRecovery
-bash: cd: /Applications/iRecovery: Not a directory

Is there anything simpler I can do? Any simple step outline or anything? I really appreciate your help

berlinjeremy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
WHen i open irecovery it says

Last login: Mon Jan 11 10:01:20 on ttys000
jeremy-berlins-macbook-2:~ Me$ /Applications/irecovery ; exit;
by westbaer

./iRecovery [args]
-f <file> upload file.
-r reset usb.
-s starts a shell.

logout

[Process completed]

So, I think I am already in irecovery, so I open a basic shell and try to type in the commands and it doesnt work

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
if I understand correctly on the new iboot version on the 3GS, you can't use Pwnage tool to JB and unlock it. So, you should have done your homework before hand.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I am soo frustrated! Ok, just to make it simple I put the Irecovery into my applications and typed in what you wrote.

jeremy-berlins-macbook-2:~ Me$ cd /Applications/iRecovery
-bash: cd: /Applications/iRecovery: Not a directory

Is there anything simpler I can do? Any simple step outline or anything? I really appreciate your help

Did you create an iRecovery folder in Applications, or did you just copy the file to Applications. If the latter, then you need to do

Code:
cd /Applications/

Then type the commands in your terminal exactly as I wrote them above.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Did you create an iRecovery folder in Applications, or did you just copy the file to Applications. If the latter, then you need to do

Code:
cd /Applications/

Then type the commands in your terminal exactly as I wrote them above.

It's obvious the poster doesn't even begin to understand paths and that paths refer to folders and not the application itself.

I noticed his error yesterday, but don't want to get in the middle of this mess.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
It's obvious the poster doesn't even begin to understand paths and that paths refer to folders and not the application itself.

I noticed his error yesterday, but don't want to get in the middle of this mess.

I know. But the only way he's going to fix his phone is using iRecovery, so I thought I'd at least try.

OP: I do hope you get this figured out, and I will continue to help if I can. But it is clear from your inability to follow this simple tutorial that you should not be jailbreaking your device. Please, once you get it out of DFU mode, restore it to 3.1.2 official. Jailbreaking is not something you should be doing if you can't understand basic POSIX commands.

fivepointspro

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
bus error

I've tried endless of times to try to use iRecovery. But when i get to the next step to run "iRecovery -s" in terminal i get a bus error. Can some one Help

Destoned

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
Gah

I have a similar problem. Only on a iPhone 4 and it was jailbroken via green poison, 4.2.1... Now im stuck in dfu mode after countless attempts to restore using itunes(it keeps giving me errors) I get past one error, only to approach another... The error im at now is 1013. + im stuck in DFU, i tried using the suggestions above, none are working. Any more suggestions?

DCKelly09

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
I know. But the only way he's going to fix his phone is using iRecovery, so I thought I'd at least try.

OP: I do hope you get this figured out, and I will continue to help if I can. But it is clear from your inability to follow this simple tutorial that you should not be jailbreaking your device. Please, once you get it out of DFU mode, restore it to 3.1.2 official. Jailbreaking is not something you should be doing if you can't understand basic POSIX commands.

Dear thelatinist,

I hope you are still an active user on this forum - after hours of extensive internet searching, i've narrowed my problem down to the exact same one this user had a year ago. I admit I don't now how to use Terminal, and I posted how I got stuck with this problem in the first place here..

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1230165/

My phone is stuck in DFU mode, and I've gotten to the exact same point as the last user was in before everyone gave up on him.. I'm so close I can feel it!

I put iRecovery in Applications (not in a folder). Then, in Terminal, I went to Shell >New Command and typed in

cd /Applications/

what I got back was:

Last login: Sat Sep 17 17:55:33 on ttys000
Kelly-Arledges-MacBook-Pro:~ dckelly09$ cd /Applications/ ; exit;
logout

[Process completed]

Obviously, I'm not doing this right. Please have a heart, and help me escape this complex techie gadget world I've lost myself in... I normally live in a research lab, where things are simple!

DCKelly09

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
To follow up on my last post, I've figured out my idiocy, and put the correct path in the terminal, put in sudo iRecovery -s, gotten a prompt for my typed in my password, (which newbie users like myself may not know, will appear as though nothing is being typed, but you actually are)

and gotten this message:

sudo: iRecovery: command not found
Kelly-Arledges-MacBook-Pro:iRecovery dckelly09$

I have both libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.2.exe and the irecovery UNIX file in the same folder I directed the Terminal path to...

any suggestions?

DCKelly09

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
Answer: an alternative command,

./iRecovery –s

works! Next question... setenv auto-boot true does not. Could this be an issue with Lion OSX? I read somewhere that setenv commands "don't work with bash." (yea, we're getting way outside my realm here)

But maybe someone can explain this...

Last login: Sat Sep 17 23:01:11 on ttys001
Kelly-Arledges-MacBook-Pro:~ dckelly09$ cd /Applications/iRecovery/
Kelly-Arledges-MacBook-Pro:iRecovery dckelly09$ ./iRecovery –s
by westbaer

./iRecovery [args]
-f <file> upload file.
-r reset usb.
-s starts a shell.

Kelly-Arledges-MacBook-Pro:iRecovery dckelly09$ setenv auto-boot true
-bash: setenv: command not found
Kelly-Arledges-MacBook-Pro:iRecovery dckelly09$

odds someone else is still reading this thread? low..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.