Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACE529

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Australia
I have jailbroken many iTouches and iPhone 3G's using blackra1n, but have just purchased an iPhone 3GS and have previously heard that it cannot be jailbroken due to updated soft/hardware that prevents this. I am just wondering if blackra1n or any other application can get through this situation without corrupting it. Also, how do you update iPhone and iTouch software without losing jailbreak software? Because I have a friend with 2.2.1 software and wants to update.
Thanks, MACE529

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
It isn't unsafe. It's tethered. If you use your iPhone for business you may be discouraged by the inability to use your iPhone until you have a computer available.

MACE529

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Australia
How would you know if your iPhone is tethered or not? And what features are disabled that a pc is needed?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Look at the forth & fifth serial numbers. You can find it on Itunes or iPhone settings. Mines is Week 39. I think(not exactly sure) your safe to jailbreak untethered up to week 42.

Other than that, completely safe to jailbreak via blackrain. I don't have experience jailbreaking any other way. No features are disabled, jailbreaking is about enabling. Unlocking to use on another carrier might be a differ story.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
F*CK mines ***46******................... that really pisses me off.

Give it a try anyways, it might work. If you can reboot without pluging it into your PC then your good to go. You can always restore and use the backup if it doesn't work. Nothing to lose. ;)

MACE529

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Australia
i did and it got me REALLY pissed off at apple. i got week 46 iPhone and i aint gonna try and tether-jb it. too risky for my liking

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
i did and it got me REALLY pissed off at apple. i got week 46 iPhone and i aint gonna try and tether-jb it. too risky for my liking

Read my previous post. It's not risky at all.

You can also restore then chose the backup option and everything is back exactly how it was before.

MACE529

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Australia
yeah but what if it gets blackscreened? like it wont start up, run out of battery or even connect to the comp. i have heard of that happening to other peeps
(blackscreen = unusuable)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
yeah but what if it gets blackscreened? like it wont start up, run out of battery or even connect to the comp. i have heard of that happening to other peeps
(blackscreen = unusuable)

Not likely to happen. Also you can always hold the home button and link to PC via usb. This puts it in recovery mode. I had almost every type of problem mainly cause I'm experimental and tried damn near everything, and so far when nothing else works, holding the home button while plugging in to the usb always does the trick.

If your that paranoid about jailbreaking then don't.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
You cannot brick an iPhone by jailbreaking it, and even if you could a tethered jailbreak would be no more likely to brick your iPhone. The only difference between a tethered and untethered jailbreak is that any time you need to reboot your iPhone (which happens rarely...mines been up for weeks) you have to connect it to a computer and run blackra1n to get it past the bootlogo. That's the only difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.