Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenett

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Paypal verifies a user's physical address by comparing it with the address provided by their linked credit card. The transaction's payment screen will list the buyer's address as CONFIRMED or UNCONFIRMED.

If you mean email address, then I don't know.

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
Paypal verifies a user's physical address by comparing it with the address provided by their linked credit card. The transaction's payment screen will list the buyer's address as CONFIRMED or UNCONFIRMED.

If you mean email address, then I don't know.

Okay, so when my phone sells, and I receive the payment from the user through paypal, the address will show up on paypal as confirmed or unconfirmed based on their paypal address and credit card address matching?

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Pretty much. Remember though that if you sell your phone to someone out of america, they probably won't have a confirmed paypal address.

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
Pretty much. Remember though that if you sell your phone to someone out of america, they probably won't have a confirmed paypal address.

Okay, the winner of the auction is in Canada. He has an address obviously. Let's say I receive the payment and it clears through PayPal, I send out my phone. That's it right?

I appreciate the help guys.

seenett

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
If the buyer does not have a "confirmed" address, it is really not a big deal. If the buyer files a claim with Paypal that they never received the item, and it was shipped to an unconfirmed address, Paypal might not mediate in your favor. Get the buyer to send you an email stating where to ship, then have a way to track the shipment and confirm delivery. That email and tracking record will help with any future mediation (should it become necessary).

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
If the buyer does not have a "confirmed" address, it is really not a big deal. If the buyer files a claim with Paypal that they never received the item, and it was shipped to an unconfirmed address, Paypal might not mediate in your favor. Get the buyer to send you an email stating where to ship, then have a way to track the shipment and confirm delivery. That email and tracking record will help with any future mediation (should it become necessary).

Definitely get a phone number, especially if it is in Canada. Have the buyer call you that way you have their phone number. Ensure that they SIGN for the iPhone, that way they will require ID to match the name on the iPhone package that you ship to them. Also, insure the iPhone and charge that to the total handling and shipping price. :cool:

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I know this is slightly offtopic, but is another Paypal issue. I wonder why it takes so many days to clear funds paid to someones account

tytanic11

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
Reading, PA
I know this is slightly offtopic, but is another Paypal issue. I wonder why it takes so many days to clear funds paid to someones account

If funds don't clear right away, that payment probably involved an eCheck - which is just like a paper check in that it withdraws money from the sender's account and must be held until the sender's bank confirms that the funds are available and transfers them. If the sender used a credit card or their PayPal balance, the funds would clear instantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.