Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Hi Patient readers...

I posted three night ago:

I attempted to install Panther (10.3) on an iMac 400 without updating firmware first...

Yes, foolish, I know: I have beating myself up ever since.

Now, the iMac will not start up. I have tried every single hint given on-line (including the wise poster in previous thread who directed me to a very informed site).

My question:

At start up, how do brand new Macs get their instruction? Is there a key combo? I have a G3 iMac 400 with FireWire (Graphite) and it shuts down after 7-10 seconds....

What can I do boys and girls?

The PRAM seems to be corrupted, because before trying to install OS X it was happily booting into OS 9.

Please help me save a good and sexy Mac from being a doorstop....

Thank You in Advance.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
have you tried resetting the PRAM

Balin64 said:
Hi Patient readers...

I posted three night ago:

I attempted to install Panther (10.3) on an iMac 400 without updating firmware first...

Yes, foolish, I know: I have beating myself up ever since.

Now, the iMac will not start up. I have tried every single hint given on-line (including the wise poster in previous thread who directed me to a very informed site).

My question:

At start up, how do brand new Macs get their instruction? Is there a key combo? I have a G3 iMac 400 with FireWire (Graphite) and it shuts down after 7-10 seconds....

What can I do boys and girls?

The PRAM seems to be corrupted, because before trying to install OS X it was happily booting into OS 9.

Please help me save a good and sexy Mac from being a doorstop....

Thank You in Advance.

Miner Willy

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Bradford, UK
zapping PRAM

that would be Apple+Alt+P+R all at the same time on a restart. Let it chime 3 times before attempting to start it up.

Get well soon... :eek:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Reset the PRAM, as stated, but also reset the open firmware. After you do the PRAM, hold down control-option-O-F. At the white screen with black text type reset-nvram and hit enter. Then type reset-all and hit enter. The computer will reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.