Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zebraman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Miami!!!
I think i might have dismounted it or something. But it wont show up on desktop or on the finder side pane. I tried bringing it back with disk utility but no luck :mad:

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
first things first does your hard disk show up in the Computer folder in the Finder? you can get to Computer by selecting it from Finder's Go menu or pressing "command-shift-C". then check Finder's preferences. have you unticked "Hard Disks" under Show these items on the Desktop or Show these items in the Sidebar?

if you still cant see it copy and paste this command into the Terminal to show hidden files.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

does your hard disk show up now? replace "TRUE" with "FALSE" in the above command to hide hidden files.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
something simple? Did someone hide it on you? Click on desktop, hit APPLE+A, then select Clean Up from the View Menu. Silly, but worth a try. Or did they add a period to the beginning of the name?

elitistnerd

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
Open a Finder window. In the top left of your screen, next to the Apple, click on Finder->Preferences. Under "General", you can choose which drives and disks to display on your Desktop.

Victoria6637

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
IL
Hard drive not showing on desktop

Thank you so much for this answer. Helped me immediately this morning. You learn something new every day. :apple:
V.

first things first does your hard disk show up in the Computer folder in the Finder? you can get to Computer by selecting it from Finder's Go menu or pressing "command-shift-C". then check Finder's preferences. have you unticked "Hard Disks" under Show these items on the Desktop or Show these items in the Sidebar?

if you still cant see it copy and paste this command into the Terminal to show hidden files.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

does your hard disk show up now? replace "TRUE" with "FALSE" in the above command to hide hidden files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.