Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btallada9870

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Is there any way to get your contacts to sort by their first name instead of their last? If not, would it work if I just put the first and last name in the first name space?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
isn't the default setting to sort it by first name? you can change it in the "phone" settings if it isn't already sorted that way.

btallada9870

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
I don't have an iPhone yet. I'm getting it Friday though!!! I was just wondering because in any of the pictures, i never saw it sorted by first name

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The other thing you can do that I did was to set up in my Address Book or in your Contacts in Outlook, Groups (Subfolders in outlook) and so when you choose what to sync, I sync my iPhone list which is all the contacts I want on my phone, but then also the subgroups of that, Friends, Family, Biz (which I use for places I call now and then - pizza, golf tee times, electrician, etc) and Freqs, so that I can go into a subgroup instead of scrolling through all my contacts.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I don't have an iPhone yet. I'm getting it Friday though!!! I was just wondering because in any of the pictures, i never saw it sorted by first name

the default setting is to sort by first name, though you can change that. you can also choose to show last name first if desired.

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
I really hope you will be able to sort by company in future updates.. or at least search. My dad is getting pretty mad that he can't do that. He has way to many contacts to go through. Even with the shortcut of jumping to the first letter, it's still 4 or 5 flicks to find the person. I told him we could maybe use groups, but still... that would be a group for every company? or I don't even know. Also, I don't know if Entourage supports groups. He isn't going to want to use Address Book.

bambino tostare

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
Settings > Phone.

Under "Contacts":

You can change both Sort and Display order.

Just in case anyone else can't find it here, try

"Settings" > "Mail, Contacts, Calendar"

Then scroll down to the Contacts section and click on "Sort Order" - that's where it is on my 16G 3GS

audiosclie

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Whitehouse, TX
I really hope you will be able to sort by company in future updates.. or at least search. My dad is getting pretty mad that he can't do that. He has way to many contacts to go through. Even with the shortcut of jumping to the first letter, it's still 4 or 5 flicks to find the person. I told him we could maybe use groups, but still... that would be a group for every company? or I don't even know. Also, I don't know if Entourage supports groups. He isn't going to want to use Address Book.

Download the App "Groups". It is hands down, the best contact organizing application I have found.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

If he taps the home button so search comes up and types the company name it'll list people with that in th copany field in the address book ;)

lakemom

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
Contacts list: sort first name first, & in bold black

Here's a "full fix" that worked for me:
> Settings (icon)
> Mail, Contacts, Calendar
- Scroll down to "Contacts" box
> Sort Order
> "First, Last"
Return to "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" and scroll down again to "Contacts" box
> Display Order
> "First, Last"

Warning: do not choose the "Phone" icon" on the main icon screen, or the "Phone" choice within Settings. I didn't see any way to get to "Sort Order" or "Display Order" when I started from either of those choices.

Note: If you make a choice under "Sort Order" but not under "Display Order", the Contacts List WILL appear in "first name first" order, but the first name will appear in light grey, and the last name will be in bold black. That is confusing to look at. By choosing "First, Last" under both "Sort Order" and "Display Order", the first name will BOTH appear first and appear in bold black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.