Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisesposito

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Is there anything like custom ringtones for different email addresses? Some email accounts I've got set up on my phone (3GS, 3.1.2) get emails that there is no real urgency about; I'll look at the when I have time. Others I'd like to look at as soon as they arrive. A different sound for each account would help with this.

Chris

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Is there anything like custom ringtones for different email addresses? Some email accounts I've got set up on my phone (3GS, 3.1.2) get emails that there is no real urgency about; I'll look at the when I have time. Others I'd like to look at as soon as they arrive. A different sound for each account would help with this.

Chris

Nothing built in. Just one default received mail.caf

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
And since there is only one email-received sound file, there are probably no JB options, correct? I would like to be able to distinguish what emails are coming from specific accounts by tones. That would be super cool.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Get the app called 'Boxcar.'

Your e-mail addresses must have the ability to forward a copy of new mail AND keep a copy in the in-box.

Set up each account in Boxcar. It will send you a push noification when you get e-mail, and you can set a different sound for each account.

I don't think you can use custom sounds, so this is not 100% what you asked for, but it does offer many built-in choices and you can pick a different one for each account so it'll get the job done.

(Since you're getting push notices you can technically set all your e-mail accounts to 'Manual Fetch' instead of timed fetch or push. However, I like to set mine to 1 hour fetch. That way, if I accidentally miss a push notice I'll at least be notified within the next hour as a safety backup.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.