Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
hey so we all know the new 2.5 G5 has liquid cooling. I was browsing Nvidia's site, and noticed one of the cards offered by BFG connects to your systems internal or external water cooling device. Could this be done using Apple's liquid cooling system? It would be nice to run the 6800 without yet another fan, and it would also possibly free up the block PCI-X slot.
http://www.bfgtech.com/6800U.html#zero

of similar interest, Nvidia announced a new multiple GPU connection technology called SLi which can use multiple GPU's to drive an individual monitor.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/sli.html

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
nope.

the G5's liquid cooling is the next closest thing to passive liquid cooling...the BFG card would need the kind of enthusiast PC liquid cooling kit that actually sends processor speeds into sub-zero range...i don't think the 2.5's liquid cooling setup has any unused capacity as it is currently (next month, that is) implimented...

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
jsw said:
Sadly, it requires 2 PCI-E slots. 2 more than the G5's have.
obviously, since it has no pci express slots. however, it's pretty sweet, and definitely something to look forward too in the future. do any PC manufacturers have PCI Express in a shipping product? sorry i don't pay much attention to PC hardware anymore.
JonBoy470 said:
Dell recently released their Dimension 8400 and XPS Gen 3 systems, both of which use the Intel 925x chipset, and PCI-Express video cards.
DUDE YOU'RE GETTING A DELL! :D pass the reefer.

JonBoy470

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2004
Dell recently released their Dimension 8400 and XPS Gen 3 systems, both of which use the Intel 925x chipset, and PCI-Express video cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.