Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeinid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Hi,

I am thinking of buying the mac mini with server and would like to know if the disk that comes with it is just a reinstall disk or is it a full blown server install. The reason I ask is because I'd like to use the mini as a media server with os 10.6 and use the server software on my mac pro. So, can I switch the os's around?

Thanks,

Joe

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
The DVD that comes with the Mac mini server is locked to that hardware platform (Macmini3,1).

A.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
All system disks are locked with the machine type they came with. You cannot load the OSX version that came with your mac pro onto the mini and vice versa, load the mini OSX server os onto your Mac Pro.

Both will prevent you from booting up on the disks, i.e., mini won't boot up with the MP's install disk

joeinid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
I thought the server software that comes with the mini is tied to it ...

Thanks for the replies!

I was going to buy a new 10.6 Snow Leopard for the mini and put the 10.6 Server Snow Leopard from the mini on the mac pro. Oh well, I have some more thinking to do....

Joe

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Keep in mind that the only requirement is that the installer run on the Mac mini server. There is no requirement that the destination disk be the mini's internal hard drive. :)

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.