Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A lot has been said about the rumored Apple tablet, and after evidence was discovered that Apple was interested in the name "iSlate", many have adopted that as the most likely name for Apple's new device.

New evidence however has revealed that Apple may, in fact, be positioning "iPad" as the name for the imminent tablet device. The name iPad has had its proponents amongst several MacRumors readers due to the similarities to Apple's iPod name, but little evidence has actually suggested it to be the case.

A search in the Canadian trademark database reveals that Apple's dummy corporation Slate Computing, LLC also applied for a trademark for "iPad" under the categories of handheld mobile digital electronic devices with a broad range of applications. This application was filed in July 2009 -- much more recently than the original iSlate trademarks which date back to 2006-2007. Slate Computing, LLC did not apply for a similar trademark in the U.S. due to the fact that Fujitsu appears to control the U.S. trademark as it relates to handheld computing. Of course, this didn't stop Apple from using the iPhone name despite it being owned by Cisco in the U.S. at the time of the iPhone's launch.

Very similar trademark applications for "iPad" were also filed in Europe and Hong Kong in July. The European filing listed a UK lawfirm while the Hong Kong application listed a company called IP Application Development, LLC which is located in Delaware.

Based on a source who claims to have knowledge of Apple's plans, we found that this unknown company has been active again in the past week with new iPad trademark applications in New Zealand and Australia. The filing dates for these latest trademark applications are from Friday, January 15th, 2010.

124447-ipad.png

Of interest, the company's initials actually spell out "iPad". While we can't link IP Application Development, LLC directly to Apple, the associated timing of the applications alongside Slate Computing's Canadian application is very suggestive. While it appears Apple did have an Australian trademark application for iPad back in 2007, it was a much more limited scope than the current applications.

In the end, we believe that Apple is behind these trademark applications for iPad and that it may be the name for Apple's new tablet device to be revealed next week.

Article Link: Will Apple's Tablet Actually Be Called the iPad? New Trademarks Filed This Week

Tears Apart

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Outside Closer
iPad is too similar to iPod - what kind of revolutionary product would start off by imitating the name of such other well established product?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
iPad. iLike. Better than 'iTab' or 'iTablet'. And iSlate sounds like something i'd grab to bash you over the head with, indicating bulk.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
I really do not like iPad. iSlate is okay, iTablet is okay. I would really prefer something without the i. But iPad just doesn't seem to be a good name for a computing/multimedia device. It sounds like a notepad. Calling it a pad would sound like it is only good for taking notes.

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
That would be my wager. The Pad name ties in with the previous mobile device name of the Newton MessagePad. And the flatscreen NewsPad in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

ipad.com is owned by some Spanish aero business or something called Enero 6, since 1998.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, it's a front page story bonanza this morning!

The iPad? Not horrible, but not great. I think they can do better than that.

iBook?
iBoard?
iDontKnow.

israndy

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Macs iPad?

I can already tell you they won't use it, Macs iPad would surely come into trademark dispute with MaxiPad

-Randy

lender30

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
Bangkok
I can see Jobs and company laughing their butt off watching everyone switching their device names from Slate to The Pad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.