Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Has anyone been able to get their wired xbox 360 controller to work with the mac version of bioshock? There's an option in the controller preferences, but it refuses to be clickable no matter how I connect my pc 360 controller to my mac. I even downloaded the tattleboogie drivers, but it didn't recognize the controller in game. Has anyone made this work?

kingyosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Bioshock and xbox 360 wired controller?

I'm having this problem as well, it's bloody annoying using the mighty mouse. Seriously want to use my 360 controller.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
The latest Tattieboogie drivers have a few issues sometimes on some peoples machines, I know if you install the 0.08 drivers BioShock Mac plays with wired or wireless adapter pads as we heavily tested this set-up during development. A few people have reported issues even with the 0.08 pad and we are investigating but as the drivers are an experimental and unofficial tracking down why the pad might not work on someone's system can be tricky.

However if you still have trouble get in contact with support as we are collecting information about users setups that don't work to see if their is a common factor between them.

Edwin

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
The latest Tattieboogie drivers have a few issues sometimes on some peoples machines, I know if you install the 0.08 drivers BioShock Mac plays with wired or wireless adapter pads as we heavily tested this set-up during development. A few people have reported issues even with the 0.08 pad and we are investigating but as the drivers are an experimental and unofficial tracking down why the pad might not work on someone's system can be tricky.

However if you still have trouble get in contact with support as we are collecting information about users setups that don't work to see if their is a common factor between them.

Edwin

Thanks Edwin. I already installed the latest tattleboogie drivers. I don't think there's any configuring to do. Nonetheless, bioshock doesn't recognize the 360 controller despite the fact that when I plug it in, hardware growler recognizes the 360 controller as "usb game controller." So I'm pretty sure the issue isnt with osx at this point. Is there some sort of output log I could send to you? Do you recommend trying the older version of the tattleboogie driver? (might be an issue since they're not snow leopard compatible, and I'm on 10.6.2)

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Thanks Edwin. I already installed the latest tattleboogie drivers. I don't think there's any configuring to do. Nonetheless, bioshock doesn't recognize the 360 controller despite the fact that when I plug it in, hardware growler recognizes the 360 controller as "usb game controller." So I'm pretty sure the issue isnt with osx at this point. Is there some sort of output log I could send to you? Do you recommend trying the older version of the tattleboogie driver? (might be an issue since they're not snow leopard compatible, and I'm on 10.6.2)

So it looks like the latest version isn't 0.8. I'll try out that version to see if I have any luck.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
So it looks like the latest version isn't 0.8. I'll try out that version to see if I have any luck.

Most people have been using 0.08 and that was the version we used to add in support 0.09 seems to have some issues, please drop me a PM or contact support if you get it working (or not), finding out what people have working and don't will help us fix it for hopefully everyone.

Cheers,

Edwin

aleagle

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
tattiebogle driver not working with bioshock, mac, xbox controller

I have desperately wanted to respond to this thread, but due to an IP address, I have been unable (until now) to use this site. I even tried emailing eddeduck directly, but to no avail. Here's my problem:
I installed tattiebogle driver v. 0.09, and although the Xbox controller IS recognized by my iMac, it is NOT recognized by Bioshock. I read where some users have better luck with v. 0.08, but I am unable to install the older driver over the newer one, and I have no idea how to uninstall v. 0.09 so I can install v. 0.08 (I have tried removing all references to the driver, but there must be some artifacts remaining because I still get the error message when I try to install v. 0.08). Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
I have desperately wanted to respond to this thread, but due to an IP address, I have been unable (until now) to use this site. I even tried emailing eddeduck directly, but to no avail. Here's my problem:
I installed tattiebogle driver v. 0.09, and although the Xbox controller IS recognized by my iMac, it is NOT recognized by Bioshock. I read where some users have better luck with v. 0.08, but I am unable to install the older driver over the newer one, and I have no idea how to uninstall v. 0.09 so I can install v. 0.08 (I have tried removing all references to the driver, but there must be some artifacts remaining because I still get the error message when I try to install v. 0.08). Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

running into this issue myself, the author of this software does not respond to ANY emails regarding how to uninstall the software. It's very frustrating. Does anyone know how to completely remove the 360 driver. This is extremely unprofessional.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I even tried emailing eddeduck directly, but to no avail.

Have you tried emailing the BioShock support email address? I have had no Private Messages on this forum regarding BioShock pads and I believe my work email address is not listed on the internet (to try and keep the spam down).

If you send our support an email or send me a private message we can point you in the right direction.

running into this issue myself, the author of this software does not respond to ANY emails regarding how to uninstall the software. It's very frustrating. Does anyone know how to completely remove the 360 driver. This is extremely unprofessional.

The software you are using for the 360 drivers on Mac are provided "As is" and without warranty, the software is open source and the guy who writes the drivers is entirely unpaid.

I know some parts of the project are not well documented but as this is done mostly by one person on his own and released it for free. We are looking at helping the developer (as we want to have 360 pads in our games) and have provided him with some copies of our titles. I know it is annoying when something does not work but I know being polite and friendly will get you further after all he created the software unpaid so others can have fun so give him some slack. :)

Finally I believe (through emails with TattieBoogie) that some 360 pads have different firmware to others and this is causing the compatibility issues. Basically they look the same but they don't work exactly the same, again this is being looked at but as you cannot tell anything about the pad till you plug it in this is not a simple thing to investigate.

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Had my head buried under MMOs for a while now and missed this. Anyone know a good site where you can d/l Bioshock for Mac for less than premium? I see it on Steam for PC at 13.99..

BioShock for Mac is currently physical purchase only. Online download of Feral games is something we are working on and we should be having online purchases in 2010.

Cheers,

Edwin

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Edwin, I realize the developer is doing this out of the goodness of his heart. But providing software for users without any removal method or information makes it hard on the end user. It's not exactly unheard of to provide this info, especially when one tries to delete all traces of the software, but the installer still refuses to overwrite the previous installation. My frustration comes from the fact that the developer has chosen to ignore all attempts at contact regarding the software. No one has heard anything from him. Not even a "sorry, I can't help you right now." Those of us on the forum here want to play bioshock using the .8 360 drivers, but after running the .9 installer, none of us can revert back to .8. So we're stuck without help. Are you able to get in touch with the developer of the 360driver in order to find out how to completely remove the .9 driver from our systems and allow us to install the .8 driver? I have removed all .9 install files (found them by opening up the .9 installer and choosing File->Show Files). Nonetheless, there is still something that remains after deleting the files that does not allow the .8 installer to proceed.

davelo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Alternative fixes for X360 controller problems

Edwin, given that under Snow Leopard, a PS3 Sixaxis will now:

(a) connect via Bluetooth, and charge via mini-USB
(b) appear in Setup and work perfectly with the Mac port of TR Anniversary

wouldn't it be easier to extend general support to a device that's now more-or-less P'n'P, rather than one that relies on semi-supported third party drivers?

Also, for anyone wanting to use a controller with Bioshock because they think an Apple BT keyboard/Magic Mouse aren't suitable for gaming, or too expensive to risk, there's no problem having a second keyb/mouse connected at the same time.

I'm currently playing the game this way, with an old white USB Mac keyboard with a Logitech scroll mouse in one of its USB1 ports, with the BT stuff tucked away under the plinth still paired. I have a short USB extender cable hanging down from one of the iMac's rear ports so I don't have to get behind it to (dis)connect each time.

For the record, I *also* have an X360 Controller which I use in Bootcamp, and my call is that I'd give it up in a minute if there were *reliable* XP drivers for the Sixaxis…

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Edwin, given that under Snow Leopard, a PS3 Sixaxis will now:

(a) connect via Bluetooth, and charge via mini-USB
(b) appear in Setup and work perfectly with the Mac port of TR Anniversary

wouldn't it be easier to extend general support to a device that's now more-or-less P'n'P, rather than one that relies on semi-supported third party drivers?

I was under the impression you still needed drivers to use the Sixaxis pad on OS X and I think the only drivers are written by the same guy who makes the 360 ones.

We have PS3 pad support next on our list of things to get done. One thing at a time.

Edwin

davelo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
I was under the impression you still needed drivers to use the Sixaxis pad on OS X

No longer so since Snow Leopard.

The original post noticing that the Sixaxis connects under 10.6 was at http://finerthingsinmac.com/2009/11...uetooth-pad-works-wirelessly-without-drivers/

I took a punt and found it works exactly as the above link says.

Once the pad has been introduced to the Mac, just hold down the PS button to connect before starting play (you can watch the status switch in BT Preferences), use the BT Menulet to disconnect afterwards (or the pad keeps polling and stops the Mac sleeping)

The pad is then recognised (as a Sixaxis) by TR Anniversary (but not by Bioshock). I played the whole game using it over Christmas with no problems. I had to set up the pad assignments myself first time, but they are remembered.

There are *definitely* no 3rd party drivers, let alone any of Tattiebogle's, involved; I don't install such things on principle. I'm on vanilla OSX 10.6.2.

So Feral/Robosoft are *already* sitting on code that works with a Sixaxis, all you have to do is find it ;) and transfer it to other games.

Cheers...

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
No longer so since Snow Leopard.
The pad is then recognised (as a Sixaxis) by TR Anniversary (but not by Bioshock).

So Feral/Robosoft are *already* sitting on code that works with a Sixaxis, all you have to do is find it ;) and transfer it to other games.

If it just works in TRA it will work on all of our pad games apart from BioShock. Due to how it was designed BioShock has no mapping features and was designed to work ONLY on the 360 we increased this list by manually adding in popular pads I guess we just need to do the same for the PS3.

We can enable the pad in the next update, we just need to define the pad buttons and enable the pad in the approved list.

Edwin

aleagle

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Thanks, but as yet no support from feralinteractive

Many thanks to all who responded to my complaint about the tattiebogle driver and lack of response from Munro. Also, in response to eddeduck's suggestion - I HAVE attempted to contact feralinteractive (sent them 3 emails) w/o ANY response. They don't even have bioshock listed on their website as one of their products - why the face?
:mad::(

davelo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
If it just works in TRA it will work on all of our pad games apart from BioShock.

We can enable the [Sixaxis] in the next {Bioshock] update, we just need to define the pad buttons and enable the pad in the approved list.
Edwin

Both the above good news; thanks for your attention

Essem

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Bioshock and xbox 360 wired controller?

Try this to uninstall v0.09 and install 0.08

1. Remove the following files from your system(installed by v0.09)
/System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/Wireless360Controller.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/WirelessGamingReceiver.kext
/Library/PreferencePanes/Pref360Control.prefPane
/Library/StartupItems/360ControlDaemon

2. Open Install360Controller.pkg v0.08 (show package contents) set following things

OverwritePermissions
AllowBackRev

in

Install360Controller.pkg/Contents/Info.plist
Install360Controller.pkg/Contents/Resources/Install360Controller.info

Save these files. (You may need to set the R/W permission to Install360Controller.pkg/Contents folder)

3. Now install the Install360Controller.pkg

gudluck:)

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Thanks Essem. Can you elaborate on these two points...

"Open Install360Controller.pkg v0.08 (show package contents) set following things

OverwritePermissions
AllowBackRev

in

Install360Controller.pkg/Contents/Info.plist
Install360Controller.pkg/Contents/Resources/Install360Controller.info"

Where do I add this text in "info.plist"? . In the install360controller.info I just changed allowbacrev to "yes" and overwritepermissions to "yes". Correct? For the "info.plist" do I just change the values to "true"?

Essem

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
In the install360controller.info I just changed allowbacrev to "yes" and overwritepermissions to "yes"

Correct.

For the "info.plist" do I just change the values to "true"?

Correct. These keys are already present in both the files and you just need to set them to 'YES' or 'true', accordingly.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Now the installer gives me a warning, but it lets me proceed with the install this time. Unfortunately, the installer errors out saying "it encountered an error that caused the installation to fail" and won't proceed. However, it looks like it did install everything successfully despite the error. Great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.