Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elzlaik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Hi everyone,

When I right-click an image in Safari, click Copy Image and then try to paste it in Word 2008, it only pastes the link. I have to go to Edit>Paste Special>Picture to get the image to show up. At first, I believed this to be a Office issue, but then I tried the same operation in Firefox and found that an image copied in Firefox pastes without issue in Word. Now it seems this is a Safari compatibility issue. Is there add-in I should have installed to allow easy image pasting from Safari to Word? I have nothing against using Firefox, but I really like Safari.

P.S. I am fully up to date with all programs and OS involved. I have tried this on a brand new 13" MBP, my year-old 15" MBP and my iMac at work. Same issue everywhere.

Elzlaik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Have you tried literally dragging the image from Safari into Word?

Yes, dragging works between Safari and Word ... even across Dock Expose. For simplicity sake I implied the issue was my own. It is not. Personally I use Pages and am adept at drag-and-drop. The person affected by this is a pretty colleague who I am trying to help. She finds that on her 13" MBP there is not enough to real-estate for dragging between windows and she finds dragging using Dock Expose too clumsy and complicated. However, I find the argument a valid one. Why doesn't copy and paste work between Safari and Office when it does between Firefox and Office?

C'mon guys ... the gratitude of a hot Mac-girl is on the line! Isn't that the fantasy?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... She finds that on her 13" MBP there is not enough to real-estate for dragging between windows and she finds dragging using Dock Expose too clumsy and complicated. ...
Drag the graphic from the browser window to the Desktop. From there, it can go anywhere.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Found this in Mac Help. Hope it does...

To create a keyboard shortcut for an application:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Keyboard & Mouse.

Click Keyboard Shortcuts, and then click the Add (+) button.

Choose an application from the Application pop-up menu. If you want to set the same key combination for a menu command that appears in many applications, choose All Applications.

If the application you want to select does not appear in the list, choose Other and locate the application using the Open dialog. Some applications may not allow you to set keyboard shortcuts.

Type the menu command for which you want to set a keyboard shortcut in the Menu Title field.

You must type the command exactly as it appears in the application menu, including ellipses and any other punctuation. An ellipsis is a special character that looks like three periods. To type an ellipsis, press Option-semicolon, or use the Character Palette. It may be difficult to know whether the command is written in the menu with a real ellipsis or with three periods, so if one does not work, try the other.

Click in the Keyboard Shortcut field and press the key combination that you want to assign to the menu command, and then click Add.

You cannot use each type of key (for example, a letter key) more than once in a key combination.

Quit the application for which you added or changed a keyboard shortcut.

Restart the application to see the keyboard shortcut in the application’s menu.

Elzlaik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Sir, I am in your debt for that elegant solution. It's perfect. Thank you for help and for the detail of your post, which was most welcomed for someone like me who has never added a keyboard shortcut. Thanks.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You're welcome, but I can't take that much credit! I've never created my own keyboard shortcut either. I just copied that information from the Help file. If you look at the top, I indicated where it came from.

Did it get you a date? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.