Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vkapoormd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
San Francisco, CA
One thing i can not find is if there is a way to set the iphone to answer automatically after 2 or 3 rings, specifically when i am in my car and i am using my bluetooth headset or speakerphone....my old Motorola Krazr had a function to auto answer when the phone was paired with a bluetooth earpiece...does any body have any idea if this is possible....

pianos101

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
I didn't notice any setting going through the list, and you're right, sometimes it's a good feature. But if you're using a BT headset, can't you tap the button on the headset (like the button on the included apple headphones) to answer/end the call?

habano

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
auto answer

I am also very interested in this feature. It is true that you can tap the button to answer the blue tooth head set, but my hands are not always available. When I am scrubbed in the operating room it is great to have the phone answer without having to touch the head set. It has been my major reason for not getting an iphone

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
When I am scrubbed in the operating room it is great to have the phone answer without having to touch the head set. It has been my major reason for not getting an iphone

Are you really sure that chatting on the phone while you're operating is a good idea? :eek:

gentlegiantcrai

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
I am also very interested in this feature. It is true that you can tap the button to answer the blue tooth head set, but my hands are not always available. When I am scrubbed in the operating room it is great to have the phone answer without having to touch the head set. It has been my major reason for not getting an iphone

Is that what happens when I am unconscious, having my Kidney removed ???????

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
I set my TomTom GPS nav unit to answer incoming calls after 7 seconds. This is only an option if your bluetooth device has the option to answer the incoming calls automatically. The iPhone doesn't support this functionality on its own.

drdiazpizarro

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
Automatic answer

I am also very interested in the automatic answer feature, it would be nice for you people from apple to develop some software that would do that.
For those of you making fun about answering the phone while operating (which is something most of surgeons are able to do without risking the patient) I would like to ask you, can you answer the phone while you are working at your office? Well surgery is what we do for working, and we are able to talk while we operate, it is exactly the same to speak to the person right in front of you in the operating room than speaking to someone on the phone. It only takes a minimal IQ to do 2 things at a time (like walking and chewing gum: can you do that?).
Back to the auto answering issue: please develop some software for that!!!!

jjdsandiego

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
Skiin

This is now a big problem for me. I've had an original iPhone for over 2 years and I always kept a separate regular cell phone that I used as my primary phone. I just switched to the iPhone 3GS and got rid of the other phone. Whenever I went skiing in the past I would use my regular cell phone with auto answer. This allowed me to get calls for work or from other skiers without having to dig the phone out of my pocket with gloves on or try to push a button on a headset that's under my hat and helmet. Apple, it would be great if there were a setting for auto answer. I'd also be fine with a 3P app. Hopefully this would support both wired and bluetooth headsets; I prefer wired because bluetooth headsets don't fit well under helmets.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
For those of you making fun about answering the phone while operating (which is something most of surgeons are able to do without risking the patient) I would like to ask you, can you answer the phone while you are working at your office? Well surgery is what we do for working, and we are able to talk while we operate, it is exactly the same to speak to the person right in front of you in the operating room than speaking to someone on the phone. It only takes a minimal IQ to do 2 things at a time (like walking and chewing gum: can you do that?)...

I wonder how many ear buds have been sewn (or stapled) into patients... ;)

neonbright

macrumors member
For those of you making fun about answering the phone while operating (which is something most of surgeons are able to do without risking the patient) I would like to ask you, can you answer the phone while you are working at your office? Well surgery is what we do for working, and we are able to talk while we operate, it is exactly the same to speak to the person right in front of you in the operating room than speaking to someone on the phone. It only takes a minimal IQ to do 2 things at a time (like walking and chewing gum: can you do that?).
Back to the auto answering issue: please develop some software for that!!!!

Unless the call has to do with the current surgery, I don't seriously you should be on a phone while performing the surgery. I in my case one of my jobs is to answer the phone to work with my clients, but if I was performing a surgery I will not be the one answering the phone.

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis
I doubt that anyone can write an app to do this, instead I believe Apple has to add this functionality. I suggest that you submit an enhancement request to Apple...

spektro

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Yes, there´s an application that can do this and much more.
It´s called callcontroller and it´s in Cydia and RockApp

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Unless the call has to do with the current surgery, I don't seriously you should be on a phone while performing the surgery. I in my case one of my jobs is to answer the phone to work with my clients, but if I was performing a surgery I will not be the one answering the phone.

Couple of questions:

1) You're hospital allows people to talk on cells phones? I thought the were generally banned in hospitals, especially in area such as surgery where they can cause interference with the equipment.

2) As a doctor (hopefully), you've surely seen how distracting cell phones can be while driving alone, let alone operating on someone. While your "walking and chewing gum" statement is true, I'm sure you would also agree that performing surgery takes a little bit more muscle control and attention than chewing gum and walking does.

Thanks, I hope that you A) never perform surgery on me, and B) have a good lawyer.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Couple of questions:

1) You're hospital allows people to talk on cells phones? I thought the were generally banned in hospitals, especially in area such as surgery where they can cause interference with the equipment.

2) As a doctor (hopefully), you've surely seen how distracting cell phones can be while driving alone, let alone operating on someone. While your "walking and chewing gum" statement is true, I'm sure you would also agree that performing surgery takes a little bit more muscle control and attention than chewing gum and walking does.

Thanks, I hope that you A) never perform surgery on me, and B) have a good lawyer.

Wow. Way to overreact. Do you think surgeons are incapable of talking while they operate? That they stand in the OR in complete silence for fear of distracting each other? Or is it that you think they stand there holding the phone, or with it perched on their shoulder, so they can continue to use two hands? There is such a thing as hands-free or speaker phone.

Holding your phone to your ear or texting while driving is what makes it dangerous. You don't have use of both hands, and may be looking at the screen. But talking using hands-free is fine, because (for most people) talking isn't that much of a distraction. Why should it be any different in surgery?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Wow. Way to overreact. Do you think surgeons are incapable of talking while they operate? That they stand in the OR in complete silence for fear of distracting each other? Or is it that you think they stand there holding the phone, or with it perched on their shoulder, so they can continue to use two hands? There is such a thing as hands-free or speaker phone.

Holding your phone to your ear or texting while driving is what makes it dangerous. You don't have use of both hands, and may be looking at the screen. But talking using hands-free is fine, because (for most people) talking isn't that much of a distraction. Why should it be any different in surgery?

False on the part about talking and driving. In multiple studies they have found that driving is degraded just as much when talking hands free (bluetooth) and with the phone to the ear.

A conversation requires attention to be diverted away from the task at hand. Talking to a passenger in the car is not as bad because they have found that the passenger is away of the surroundings and are able to pick up body language so the topic can tend to stop when attention is needed. Not possible on on the phone.

The thing that makes the driving ability to go down being on the phone while driving is the conversation itself. Not the fact that only one hand is on the wheel.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ok, you ding-dongs.

He didn't say anything about talking on the phone WHILE doing surgery.

He said while he was scrubbed. Meaning, it would be nice to be able to get a phone call after he's washed his hands without having to wash them again. There's certainly times he's in the room before the surgery actually starts.

You're all getting pretty upset over something you guys invented.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Oh, and now that I think about it, I work with a company that gets paid to do video confrencing inside surgical rooms.

They'll set up 3 or 4 video cameras and stream it live so that a doctor operating in New York can talk about what he's doing, live, with a doctor confrence in San Fransisco. He answers questions and talks with 20 or 30 doctors all at the same time while he's working.

They do it all the time. I totally forgot about that. They pays big bucks to set that up.

So everyone getting ready to call their lawyer over a cell phone call, be prepared to get laughed at when the hospital points out that fact in court.

RandomGuy26

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009

umm

should you be answering phones in the operating room ?

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
False on the part about talking and driving. In multiple studies they have found that driving is degraded just as much when talking hands free (bluetooth) and with the phone to the ear.

A conversation requires attention to be diverted away from the task at hand. Talking to a passenger in the car is not as bad because they have found that the passenger is away of the surroundings and are able to pick up body language so the topic can tend to stop when attention is needed. Not possible on on the phone.

The thing that makes the driving ability to go down being on the phone while driving is the conversation itself. Not the fact that only one hand is on the wheel.

Ok, fair enough, interesting study though. But still, I don't see the problem. Surgeons have trained for years and years, I'm sure they can stop talking for two seconds to deal with any hic-ups. I've watched surgery from in the OR. It was hand surgery, so not exactly life threatening, and it was pretty relaxed in there. The surgeon was talking to me a lot, mostly about myself and not the operation. To be honest I think a surgeon would be insulted if you said you don't think they're capable of talking on the phone while operating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.