Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Can't get a complete sync with my new iPod classic. About 7000 songs and videos. At most, syncs only about 200 songs, then the freeze happens. Even if I try to sync just a playlist at a time, it freezes. Anybody else having this problem? Seems like iTunes 8 is a bit buggy.... What to do?

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
A Viable Answer To The Above Problem!

In the hopes that this might help someone with the same (or similar) problem in the future concerning that which I reported above, please read this page:

http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/index.php/t-215612.html

The first respondent (all Windows users apparently!!) very aptly described the EXACT problem I've been having: freezing-while-syncing content from iTunes to the iPod.

On this page, two posible reasons were offered as to why. I tried them both. One DID NOT work, BUT ONE DID!

First, one respondent mentions the need to use USB 2.0 (true, and I have been) and then a new "2.0 cable". So, I plugged in the new cable that came with my 120GB and retired the one from my 5G 60GB. Nothing; same problem: a freeze while syncing after about 150 songs or so (of over 5100, no videos, no podcasts, etc). Back to the drawing board!

Another mentioned the possibility of a USB "power drain" hampering the syncing process. Hmmm. Is it possible that my G4 tower, loaded as it is, just doesn't provide ENOUGH POWER to the USB bus? Maybe. So, I shut down the computer, turned OFF the SCSI bus (I have some legacy stuff I need to run occasionally), and re-booted without it. GUESS WHAT??? I was able to sync ALL 5100+ songs straight through with NO freezes or hiccups!!!

So, IF you have similar problems syncing from iTunes to your iPod, shut OFF any unneeded stuff BEFORE starting the process. Looks like it'll save you from pulling out your hair like I was for several days! :)

cheesesk

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
I'm running a 1.25GHz G4 and I'm having this problem with my 80gig SLIVER iPod and iTunes 8.2. Spins on random track and can't cancel it however iTunes and everything on my comp works perfectly till I try and disconnect my iPod. At this point everything freezes till I pull the connection manually = not so good!

cos my HD is full I have to plug in a firewire external HD but even the stuff on my HD freezes during upload.

Can anyone help?

cowpunk1

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Hi, I've been having the same issues, but I don't have a new ipod, I've had it for just over a year. My computer is pretty good, I have a custom build gaming machine: quad q6600, nvidia 8800gt, 4 gigs of ram, msi p6n diamond motherboard, and a 545watt power supply. Now, I have never had a problem syncing my ipod until today. I recently got a new laptop, a decent dualcore gateway, and while i was doing my homework my itunes just froze up on me. and when i disconnected all of my 18k+ songs were gone. I have them all on my desktop, but i cannot seem to get my ipod to sync now. no clue why.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I had this same issue several times with my 120G classic. I would have to leave it to kill the battery and then first sync it was fine. After I downloaded 9.0.1(?) I never had an issue after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.