Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
This is just for fun. I still use a 12" PowerBook when I'm in class. It's so slow as to be painful. I always look around and see a bunch of shiny new MacBooks and MacBook Pros and wonder, how many people still use a PowerBook?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Ah, the 12" PB. I miss thee form factor so.... But, as you pointed out, I too don't miss the specs. And with an octo at home, you don't need a MBP for on the go...

ricecube

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
Southern California
I'm using a 15 inch PB G4 1.33ghz. It's time to upgrade, so hopefully the rumors are true and there will be a new MBP next week, fingers crossed. I'm running 10.4.11, which is fine, but I'm looking forward to Snow Leopard. I had to borrow my sister's Macbook to configure my new Apple Airport Extreme because it's not compatible with OSX Tiger.

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
I still use my 12" PB a lot around the house for web surfing, though primarily it's my wife's now. I love the damn thing. I really want to reformat and reinstall the OS, but alas I've lost the original disk and really too lazy to contact Apple about getting another one (if it's even possible this far out)

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I do! I have my 15 inch PB 1.67 and its running like a champ. Although, when I turn on Pro Tools that's an entirely different story. It still runs like a champ, but more like rocky 6 during Pro Tools, it puts up a fight though! :D

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I still use a 12" PowerBook. Despite what Apple would want me to believe, it's still working fine, so really no need to replace it considering it's mostly just used for web.

mahoneyjoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
Yep, me too; this is my first apple computer bought used three years ago and still happy with it.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I upgraded this summer from a PowerBook G4 667 (DVI) to a PowerBook G4 1.33, and love it, except for the limited angles I can operate the screen at, and port placement, I hate ports on the side.

TEG

mrobison

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
AR
I'm using a 15" 1.67. It runs simple stuff fine, and it's been a good computer other than the hard drive that conked out this past summer. New 250 gB drive in it now, but I'm buying one of the new MBPs as soon as they're available.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I still use my PB 15in 1.25Ghz. I think it would go faster when I install 2GB of RAM. It serves right now as a backup to my MBP. I just use for music storage and surfing the web.

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
I lusted over a 12" powerbook back when I was young. I thought they were the coolest things ever made. I was, alas, too poor to purchase one. I was really envious of my rich friend's 8 year old little brother that had one.

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
PB 1.67. It has been rock solid for 5 years. Going up on the Bay once the refresh occurs. I'll miss it but I am sure I will miss it less with a new MBP sitting in my lap.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Using a 15" PPBG4 here. Used to be a 1.25 GHz model, but the lower RAM slot failed and the only fix is, of course, a logic board replacement. @ $170, it was a lot cheaper than a new computer. So I bought a 1.5 GHz board as a replacement, and it works like a champ. The GPU upgrade definitely is the biggest difference.

It works quite well for the HDV editing I do, thought Photoshop runs on the slow side and AfterEffects is a dog. Still... it's a lot faster than my other option (1.5 GHz Pentium M IBM R50).

I'd love to get an iMac, but the money just isn't there.

DonJMa

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
Have been using 17" powerbook 1.33 for 6+ years as my only computer.
Have used for video editing, rendering has to happen at night, but it has been great.
Planning to buy a new one soon though, will still keep this one

zildjansg

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
I still use my PB 15in 1.25Ghz. I think it would go faster when I install 2GB of RAM. It serves right now as a backup to my MBP. I just use for music storage and surfing the web.

same here, though gave it already to my girlfriend.planning to upgrade into a 2G RAM.Originally it has 512mb,then my friend gave me a 1G. Question, can I put the 512mb in addition to 1G on the other slot?if any of you has answers to my query,thanks in advance.

ricecube

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
Southern California
My current set up is with 1gb in one slot and 512mb in the 2nd slot.

Photoshop CS3 is slow with 1.5gb of RAM. I don't know how much quicker it will be with 2gb. I'll probably keep it for light duty work while the new MBP will be used for processing RAW files.

hotmix6

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
yo

i'm running a PBG4 15", just tried to put Osx Leopard on it and is now not, login in. Apart from that it was running fine.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Question, can I put the 512mb in addition to 1G on the other slot?if any of you has answers to my query,thanks in advance.

Yes, you can do that. It will run just fine with unbalanced RAM, though the maximum is 2 GB so once you get another 1 GB stick, you'll have to take out the 512 MB stick to replace it.

@hotmix6: which PowerBook do you have? If it's a TiBook, I don't think any of them can run Leopard.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
My wife and both bought laptops in 2004, mine the PB12", she the 12" iBook - both are absolutely rock-solid to this day.

Only upkeep a battery each and a new HDD for my PB, (I nailed the PB with high use every day for nearly 5yrs!).

The PB continues on as my sisters primary machine and will do for at least another year or two.

My wife's iBook is about to see retirement at the release of an updated Air, (she has her heart set on it). The only question is what to do with the iBook then... Ideas anyone?

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
I have a 1.33Mhz 15" PB, but never use it any more.

There is never a time when I'd need that in preference to my Early 2008 MBP. A few things I need to use are Intel only so that makes the PB less than useful. It's a decent enough machine otherwise though.

Reading this thread reminded me to check the battery and give it a bit of a charge.

stonemann

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Now running my Powerbook 12" as my main machine since my desktop PowerMac died. Stuck a new 80 gb hard drive in there and maxed out the ram to 1.25gb, running Leopard 10.5.8. Works great for surfing, playing movies, word processing, some Photoshop and iMovie. Could easily handle more than I throw at it. Really is a terrific machine. Nice keyboard, sturdy construction and beautiful design. When I move onto a Macbook Pro at some point I just hope it's as good as this machine and lasts as long. It's coming up to its sixth year now. Do Apple still make laptops this good?

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I have a 1.33 12" i got a couple of weeks ago. I use it for going on trips and such. mostly bought it though so i could have one :p

GreenMan21

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
PowerBook G4

My 15" Powerbook died again two days ago, IF I replace the logic board it will be for the 5th time!! I have for now reverted to my trusty G4 Titanium, this thing is almost 9 years old. I like the nostalgia but its time for a fresh mbp. Sounds like I should wait till friday to make the decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.