Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
My macbook will be turning one year on January 27th. I was just caught up with school stuff and work so I didn't have chance to actually pull the trigger on the Applecare. I did look around on the internet about the Applecare... I did find this seller called Electronic-king-inc on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-AppleCare-Apple-Care-Warranty-for-MacBook-Air-13_W0QQitemZ390146973001QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad6925d49
When I asked the seller about the box and that I was wanting in the original box he was saying that they can only send out the code through emails atm.
I tried to find out the reason then he asked me where I lived... So far no further communication with him.

I found the other seller called Mac.Forever http://cgi.ebay.ca/13-3-MacBook-Pro-Air-Extended-AppleCare-Plan-SAVE_W0QQitemZ320478274543QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9dfe63ef He clearly says about sending the code through email... and claiming that that is all I will "need".

I am running out of time and it is coming down to buy from the ebay sellers and risk the scam or just don't buy the Applecare at all and risk my future incidents....

Please help me out here... I know there are many many posts saying not to buy from the ebay sellers unless they provide the boxes...

Currently I don't travel with my Macbook much but next year I will be living in a resident at the campus so I am little skeptical about not having the Applecare...

Any suggestion or advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks.
-Chris-

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I also heard of many incidents where transactions of Apple Care just by being sent the code worked out fine, because that is all you need (and it saves shipping costs).

The seller needs to know where you live, as the Apple Care code is not valid world wide, but country or at least region specific.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
I also heard of many incidents where transactions of Apple Care just by being sent the code worked out fine, because that is all you need (and it saves shipping costs).

The seller needs to know where you live, as the Apple Care code is not valid world wide, but country or at least region specific.

But doesn't that mean the sellers can be selling made up registration code by code generator or something??

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
And you can't go legit because....?

It's not worth the hassle. Go to an Apple Store (bad idea) or go through an authorized reseller (better idea). Your school bookstore , if they have a tech department, may also carry it at @ good student discount (best idea).

I don't even understand why you would even entertain the idea if you know the risk of getting ripped off is greater than 1%.

Aren't you insured through PayPal or something like that if it doesn't turn out to be valid?

As soon as you get that code, you can register right away here: http://www.apple.com/support/applecare/overview/

Also what do the other buyers say in their feedback/rating on those sellers?

You only have so long after your purchase to file a claim or leave crappy feedback. You can register you code right away, yes, but the online system has taken 'illegtimate' codes before that become issues later on hence why the box is NEEDED for proof of purchase.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
If you take a look at the sellers feedbacks, you will see that both of them look legit. It appears that you would be saving a lot of money too. If it were me, I'd buy (without a second thought) from the first seller you mentioned, simply because of the sheer number of positive feedbacks.

Pay with a valid checking account through PayPal to get their protection, or use a credit card. Validate the code and file a complaint if there are issues, but I doubt there will be any. :)

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
If you take a look at the sellers feedbacks, you will see that both of them look legit. It appears that you would be saving a lot of money too. If it were me, I'd buy (without a second thought) from the first seller you mentioned, simply because of the sheer number of positive feedbacks.

Pay with a valid checking account through PayPal to get their protection, or use a credit card. Validate the code and file a complaint if there are issues, but I doubt there will be any. :)

It is *so* unbelievably simple to scam you guys. During the iTunes code scam - many buyers would leave feedback promptly, within hours or minutes of receiving the codes. It was only after a week or so (after iTunes disabled the account) that they realized it was fraudulent. But feedback has already been left - so the next unsuspecting customer is even more confident of buying.

If their reasoning is that they save on shipping, then ask them to take a pic of the box with the serial # displaying the AppleCare code. Surely emailing a pic of that is free, right? I guarantee that they won't be able to do this.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
And you can't go legit because....?

It's not worth the hassle. Go to an Apple Store (bad idea) or go through an authorized reseller (better idea). Your school bookstore , if they have a tech department, may also carry it at @ good student discount (best idea).

I don't even understand why you would even entertain the idea if you know the risk of getting ripped off is greater than 1%.

You only have so long after your purchase to file a claim or leave crappy feedback. You can register you code right away, yes, but the online system has taken 'illegtimate' codes before that become issues later on hence why the box is NEEDED for proof of purchase.

Ya I guess it is my greed or you could say that I am being cheap... Well, first of all I am a student so I don't have much spare money to go legit... I know it will be worth it. Anyways... In Canada if you buy it legitimately, the cost comes around 300 dollars... That is a lot of money for me ;p
Thanks for your reply and your advice!

It is *so* unbelievably simple to scam you guys. During the iTunes code scam - many buyers would leave feedback promptly, within hours or minutes of receiving the codes. It was only after a week or so (after iTunes disabled the account) that they realized it was fraudulent. But feedback has already been left - so the next unsuspecting customer is even more confident of buying.

If their reasoning is that they save on shipping, then ask them to take a pic of the box with the serial # displaying the AppleCare code. Surely emailing a pic of that is free, right? I guarantee that they won't be able to do this.

Ya I guess we are... I think I am going to send messages again back to the sellers about your advice and see what they say. Thank!

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
It's a cost-benefit balance. Some people want no risk and pay full price at apple. Others want to pay significantly less so they are willing to take on some risk.

You're doing what you can to minimize the potential risk but unless you have The Box, nothing is guaranteed.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
This is the reply from Mac.forever after I asked him if Applecare serial number was available for the consumers.

Sorry all I have is the registration code, In my experience, this is all you need - I really can't see apple revoking the applecare if you can't supply the serial number on the box, what if you threw the box away?

:confused: So I asked him if he could provide me with the receipt or any pictures. I am feeling this guy is truly a scammer... hmmm

Edit: Mac.forever:I don't have boxes, I purchase from a distributor - all I get are the codes. I've never had a problem, or complaint, but if you want to be sure, you're better off finding someone who's selling a box.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I've been buying and selling on ebay for years now and have never been scammed, so it's apparently not that easy. :rolleyes:

Having said that, OP, if you're all that worried about it, just pay Apple for the policy and sleep well tonight. :)

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
I've been buying and selling on ebay for years now and have never been scammed, so it's apparently not that easy. :rolleyes:

Having said that, OP, if you're all that worried about it, just pay Apple for the policy and sleep well tonight. :)

Oooh.. seriously, no need to roll your eyes. It happens. I've been buying and selling on ebay for years as well, recently got scammed by 2 sellers - of course, PayPal covered me so it was all good. But don't be naive to think that you will never be scammed.

Check out user 'techsunny' - one of the sellers I purchased from. 11,779 feedback - 98.3% positive (most of the negatives came in later, when he/she started scamming folks) The seller has been suspended from ebay.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Sorry all I have is the registration code, In my experience, this is all you need - I really can't see apple revoking the applecare if you can't supply the serial number on the box, what if you threw the box away?

If you buy from a authorized Apple reseller, the receipt will enable you to be covered - in case you threw the box or lost it. The ironic part is no authorized Apple resellers sell codes only. If they don't want to ship the box, the least they can email is the serial # on the box, and the Applecare code.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Oh, of course, if you conduct business, buy, or sell, you are in danger of being scammed, both in RL and cyberly™. That's why I recommend that the OP just buy the old-fashioned way and keep his peace of mind.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
Ok, I don't know about the other people who have replied to this thread, but I have purchased three units of Applecare on eBay on separate occasions (at HUGE discounts). One for my Macbook, one for my girlfriend's Macbook, and one for my parents' 24" iMac.

I've never had a problem. After I did all of this, I heard about cheap iTunes codes on eBay and I looked into all of this. It turns out that iTunes codes are frequently bought with stolen credit card numbers, but on the other hand, many Applecare sellers buy codes directly from Apple or from Apple resellers that have gone out of business.

Tl;dr: I have bought three applecare codes off of ebay. Never had a problem. I have recently used Applecare on my (early 2008) Macbook without a hitch. If you want to save money, buy the damn thing!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Aren't you insured through PayPal or something like that if it doesn't turn out to be valid?

As soon as you get that code, you can register right away here: http://www.apple.com/support/applecare/overview/

Also what do the other buyers say in their feedback/rating on those sellers?
Regardless how quickly you learn the code is bad paypal will not work in your favor for intangible goods. Ask paypal, it's a fact.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I went the ebay route and got burned. I have had a LOT (1000+ as buyer and seller combined) of ebay transactions, and the ONLY time I was ever scammed was for an Applecare plan for my Macbook.

I bought from FromtheheartLLC and gave good feedback after I registered the code. Then about 1 or 2 weeks after the paypal protection period passed my AC plan was cancelled. I only found out because I had logged in to check another item out and noticed that the AC plan was not showing up in my list of plans.

So, I called Apple and was told that they were presented with the original receipt and had issued a refund to that party. That was all they would tell me. They never called ME, the person the plan was registered to, they just took the other person's receipt as their proof of purchase and that person got the refund and I lost my plan and my $120.

Do what you want to try to save as much as you can, but just remember that if it turns out bad, you were warned.

I finally got a real AC plan 2 weeks ago. I called Apple to verify legitimate sellers and ended up going with Smalldog.com. I asked Apple about LA Computers and the woman told me that she did not see them on her list of resellers, but she did note that Smalldog was on there and they ended up costing less than LA Computers or Amazon (since Amazon had just raised their prices on AC plans).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
LA Computer is an authorized reseller. Whomever you spoke to was likely an idiot.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
well, applecare for the "collectors' edition (?)" MB is twice as much, and also much harder to come by:rolleyes:

Just go to apple. If you are student, it will cost you like $240 (for a MBP, or a "collectors' MBP, like mine (non uni-body).

click on the link on my signature. You are probably better off selling yours and buying a new one rather than playing your luck on ebay.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
I appreciate all your advices and tips!!!

I looked at the SmallDog and LA Computer Company they both listed their products for $199.99

I have one last question about the Applecare. It says that I have to purchase the item within 365 days of purchase on Apple product. I bought mine on January 27th which only gives me about 4 days now. Let's say that I order it online but the product doesn't come before 27th. Will I be able to register it successfully? Oh and Applecare covers for another 2 more years... I did hear once I think that apple will only cover one major repair or something... Does the applecare run out after once I use it or is it covered for until the remaining time runs out?

Thanks so much all you guys!!!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I appreciate all your advices and tips!!!

I looked at the SmallDog and LA Computer Company they both listed their products for $199.99

I have one last question about the Applecare. It says that I have to purchase the item within 365 days of purchase on Apple product. I bought mine on January 27th which only gives me about 4 days now. Let's say that I order it online but the product doesn't come before 27th. Will I be able to register it successfully? Oh and Applecare covers for another 2 more years... I did hear once I think that apple will only cover one major repair or something... Does the applecare run out after once I use it or is it covered for until the remaining time runs out?

Thanks so much all you guys!!!

Applecare has to be registered with apple within 365 days. If you order it online and it arrives on day 366 then you'll be out of luck.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
If you order it and the box comes AFTER your registration date (i.e., the 27th), you're pretty much SOL.

And Applecare covers from 3 years after the original date of purchase. If your computer bursts into flames the day after you register the warranty and Apple replaces it, you're still covered by Applecare.

My two cents, either buy it from eBay (where the seller sends you a code) or just suck it up and buy it directly from Apple. I actually took a quick look, and it's more difficult than it used to be to find sellers who will email you the code. Most sellers are shipping sealed boxes (still at a significant discount, ~$149).

I think this is really nice, except in situations like this. When I remembered to buy Applecare, I purchased it a few hours before it was going to expire. Luckily the seller emailed the code in time and everything worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.