Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
With the device having bluetooth compatibility in it, would not a better solution be to just use the standard dock and use a bluetooth keyboard? I dunno but seeing the dock with the keyboard attached I had to chuckle as it reminded me very much of the Go!Type keyboard I had for my handspring visor a long time ago, and then like the Palm folding keyboard I had for my m505 PDA. Both were useful (the folding keyboard especially as it folded and was quite portable) however we have better technology now... (i.e. wireless connectivity)?

Ruahrc

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
They likely want to keep the keyboard close as you will need to be frequently touching the screen to navigate.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I can see the keeping it close argument, but you can put the BT KB next to the stand. I'm just thinking along the lines of how a BT keyboard would be more useful in a mult-device environment for example you could use it to type on the iPad, also your iMac, and if you have something connected to a TV, use it there too. Wireless convenience.

The KB dock, the keyboard is limited to just one use and it takes up a lot of room for that. Unless you have a desk area set up specifically just for and only for the iPad (no accompanying computer), the keyboard dock will take a lot of room and be hard to position optimally (for example if you put the iPad dock to the side of your iMac, or in the corner of your desk).

Ruahrc

I guess I'm just a little sore on the fact that they finally "unlocked" bluetooth on the iPod touch yet the only thing you can hook it up to is a set of bluetooth headphones. What's the point of having bluetooth in the iPad if you can't connect it to anything!

P.S. Ouch. I'm one of those people. I re-read the Accessories part of the iPad page on apple.com and saw that they say the bluetooth keyboards work with the iPad. So I guess my original question becomes, would it not be the smarter choice to buy the regular dock plus the BT KB? Especially if you could use the BT KB with other devices.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yeah, the keyboard dock confuses me too. I'll be getting a BT keyboard and case. Case for keeping it upright, BT keyboard for typing.

The dock seems to be really bulky to carry around, too. I really don't understand it.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Yeah, the keyboard dock confuses me too. I'll be getting a BT keyboard and case. Case for keeping it upright, BT keyboard for typing.

The dock seems to be really bulky to carry around, too. I really don't understand it.

Do we know that a BT keyboard will actually work with it?

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Do we know that a BT keyboard will actually work with it?

"In even better news, however, the device will also work with standard Bluetooth keyboards like Apple's own wireless QWERTY slabs."

From engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/ipad-has-optional-keyboard-dock/

Its funny cause if were to get the apple bluetooth keyboard and ipad, it would be lighter together than my Air, have a touch screen and be able to take notes and such in class with the case and it would be a fraction of the cost. The only drawback is no full fledged OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.