Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
This is mostly a disection of some thoughts in my head. feel free to join in the conversation :p

If you think about it, majority of what we are missing from the iPad is software. Sure no camera, but there's not a whole lot else we were craving. Maybe some proximity sensors and additional things like that (which would be difficult to implement)

More "magical" software is really what we want. And I agree the software is really quite lacking.... it's nearly identical to the iphone OS, but capable of running ibooks and iwork... Heck even the LOCK SCREEN is the same...

But when you think about it, it makes sense... i mean the iPad is still running on 3.x iPhone software.... Maybe Apples plan is to deliver all our dreams on 4.0! But see I always imagined that the iPad would come out of the gate (around march or april) running on it's own version of 4.0 (which would be discussed at least minimally on the 27th), and then Apple would still take it's time perfecting the iphone version of 4.0, which could then be released in the May-June timeframe.

But now here we are... no 4.0 software, and the iPad is to be released end of March and April... right around the time 4.0 will begin to be released on Beta.... At first I was hopeful that maybe they will release the ipad on 4.0 just for funsies.. but there would be no reason they would use 3.2 at the media event: bad marketing. But perhaps they will announce 4.0 around that time to build the anticipation and bring a greater desire for the ipad?

Although does anyone else thing it's a little weird that the iPad will probably get a pretty major software update about 2 months after it is released?? Especially because I feel that majority of 4.0 will be necessary additions for the iPad (like multitasking). But I just hope that apple lets all the iphone users join in on all the fun in store for the ipad :)

Thank you for joining me on this journey. Anybody agree with any of this incoherent babble? :p

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
UK
Apple like to release basic products and then build them up as people use them, you can count on them doing the same with iPad.

punitnaker

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
What i was most confused about was how Jobs would not just walk on stage for one the biggest announcements he has made in his career to and just decide casually to go onto 2 websites that both have Flash on the homepage!

Not just that, he actually zooms into it and flicks past it on so many occasions!

I dont know about anyone else, but if I've made a mistake in a presentation, I'd skim over it and move on as quickly as possible. Jobs just dwelled on it for a while!

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i would suggest you read some of the reviews from people who actually got to play with the device. software although the same as iphone does not feel or act the same.

this is a device you really need to try out before making a judgement (one reason why apple retail stores are such an important topic at apple...you cant sell this device just online).

Although i'm not sure if there will be huge lines when it goes on sale, you can bet the stores will be packed.

I want to try out the product before seeing if i want one. I will definitely be buying version 2 for sure, just not sure about version 1.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I agree, a lot of the issues is software dependent, meaning that a lot of things can be fixed without the need for a new model.

Multitasking is something I hear a lot about, but surely a simple software update could handle that. Swipe three fingers across the screen to move to another app that's running or something of that nature. Windows 7's ability to snap two windows to the side of the screen to work between two windows is a joy to have... something like that on the iPad would be great.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
What i was most confused about was how Jobs would not just walk on stage for one the biggest announcements he has made in his career to and just decide casually to go onto 2 websites that both have Flash on the homepage!

Not just that, he actually zooms into it and flicks past it on so many occasions!

I dont know about anyone else, but if I've made a mistake in a presentation, I'd skim over it and move on as quickly as possible. Jobs just dwelled on it for a while!

Pure class. It was no mistake - carefully rehearsed way of saying 'no flash'

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
and I really can't believe that steve would release something, which is supposed to be a mini computer, without multitasking.

a phone, yes i can understand... but you'd really think they would have had multitasking ready for their next "computer"... But I think this really points to a MUST for 4.0. It would be an utter embarrassment without it

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009

I too, thought the missing plug-in icon was a major faux paux on his part. It was like he was asleep at the wheel during the presentation.

NJMetsHero

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
All I really want is multitasking.

But I feel like this is something I'll have to try in the Apple Store during Spring Break to believe in.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
All I really want is multitasking.

But I feel like this is something I'll have to try in the Apple Store during Spring Break to believe in.

That makes me think you might "settle" for one, because it "is what it is", and while not REALLY want you want/expect, you might spring for one anyway. Am I correct or off-base?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.