Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bosman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Ok, for all you air owners, and Scottsdale is one i know of, I have been asking myself should I just go with a refurb for $1,549.00 at the apple store right now? It has ssd and i wont have to shop for a Runcore because the speed will be there but man this is tough not unlike everyone who has waited so long for an update...
I have a Mac Pro which means i am chained to this friggen room. I am a photographer and could prob use the power but i am not sure i have to. I have seen something about tethering a camera to a MBP and not being able ot do it with an air but i have never tried doing that anyway. Still it would be cool to be able to do. I guess at $1750 out the door it might not be a big deal if i want an upgrade in 2 yrs since a high end MBP with apple care and ssd would run double that. Maybe i should just take my Mac Pro to Panera Bread like that dude who brings his Imac there that everyone has seen around the internet.:D

Attachments

• 500x_vwzdp.jpg
    500x_vwzdp.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 124

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think you should wait for several reasons. The MBA is currently eight-month-old technology. I would rarely support buying any Mac after three or four months into an update. Apple's pricing system rewards only the buyers who buy immediately after a product update. That is the only time when you can buy a more current system for the right price. Until Apple starts lowering costs progressively each month after release, it's going to be advantageous to buy as close to (after) the day of release as possible.

It is possible the next update will not include much more than a larger SSD and a little more RAM. If Apple does keep the C2D CPU, its goal will be to lower the price of the MBA. So, you might get a bigger SSD, a little more RAM, and a few other things for $250 less money.

The next possibility is that Apple will add Arrandale and an ATI graphics solution on top of more RAM and drive space. Apple might even choose to use dual graphics with an ATI discrete CPU and Arrandale's own IGP. This could be an incredible solution in terms of gaining performance probably for the same price.

Another possibility is that the MBA will have a different form factor. This MBA would probably use technological advancements to miniaturize the components within the MBA which would allow reducing the case around it. I think Apple could reduce the bezel and space around the keyboard and make the footprint smaller. A complete change to the MBA would be definitely worth waiting.

The other less realistic possibility is that Apple will use Arrandale and only its IGP as the graphics solution. This would be devastating IN MY OPINION. Intel has proven to us many times over that its integrated graphics are completely worthless. I don't think this solution is likely, because Apple developed its software around taking advantage of more capable graphics like Nvidia's 9400m GPU. Even if this happened, and the results were inferior graphics in the MBA, the last MBA would probably be a clearance item and discounted. I would probably advocate just buying a v2,1 MBA if the MBA changes in that direction. I don't foresee Intel's IGP as being capable of handling the demands of us wishing to use the MBA as our primary Mac.

Finally, I believe the MBA update is just around the corner. I would think it COULD be updated in the next few weeks. I believe the longer the wait for an update, the more likely the form factor and CPUs will be changed. I believe it's most likely the MBA will keep a C2D CPU and Nvidia GPU, and could get a range of other potential components.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

halledise

macrumors 68000
buy one - it's a bargain at that price.
when a new revision hits the street you can always update and offload on eBay.
I bought my RevC 2.13 ssd when it first came out and then a few months later Apple dropped the price by a lot, but it in no way disappointed me that others were able to buy cheaper what I paid a motza for.

when Apple bring our a new version of the MBA I'll definitely look long and hard at it but it will have to be significantly better for me to say farewell to this baby.

bite the bullet - you won't regret. ;)

ps004ynos

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
If you're not willing to wait and are ok with no warranty, have you considered getting a used one from Craigslist? I found a barely used 1.86 (Rev B) with SSD for $950. It mostly sat in the box per owner. CocunutBattery showed 2 total battery charges. It's been plenty quick compared to the 7 year old Inspiron 5150 I upgraded from. Like you, I didn't want to wait any longer for an update. Also, I felt an update would be out of my price range (>$1000). Good luck!

Balthezor

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
PA
If you can wait, I say wait. The 2.13 was updated back in June. 5 months isn't going to hurt you right?

But I like my 2.13 a lot, but if I were you, I'd wait a little longer, like Scottsdale said, its old technology.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
When trying to decide to buy now or wait, folks often forget that the value of the laptop, once purchased, is NOT going to drop to $0. If you get one now and an update comes out to your satisfaction later, you can always resell it for most of its initial value.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
When trying to decide to buy now or wait, folks often forget that the value of the laptop, once purchased, is NOT going to drop to $0. If you get one now and an update comes out to your satisfaction later, you can always resell it for most of its initial value.

Try to tell that to all of the MBA buyers who...

Bought the original MBA for $1799 to a whopping $3099, only to see the price dropped to $999 to $1299 eight months later! And those MBAs were grossly inferior to the next MBA with a real LV Penryn CPU, Nvidia GPU, SATA-II Drive Controller, Faster RAM, and DOUBLE the SSD drive space!

Bought the rev B (2,1) MBA for $1799 to $2499 nearly eight months in (like the current situation), only to see the price drop to $1499 to $1799. That was a $700 price drop in the high end model. Not only that it was also a small spec bump offering a faster CPU for those prices.

The bottom line is the MBA is NOT like every other Mac. Apple has had to drastically reduce the prices to compete and sell it. Remember the original damaged the brand MacBook Air, and Apple also has that problem it has to repair.

I have to disagree with anyone who believes you should buy the MBA now, UNLESS YOU HAVE NO COMPUTER AND YOU NEED IT NOW. My second MBA (rev B 2,1 1.86, w/128SSD) was stolen last March/April (and two other Macs were also stolen), and I absolutely needed a Mac. I couldn't get myself to spend so much on an MBA when I knew it would be updated soon, so I bought a used aluminum MB on Craig's List for $900. The MBA's technology was too old for the same price at launch, and it just didn't make sense to buy an MBA even though I needed a Mac. The waiting paid off big time, as I got a 2.13 GHz MBA with 128GB SSD for $700 cheaper just by waiting a few months. So I saved a lot of money, and I got a slightly faster MBA.

Since you already have a heck of a Mac, just wait it out. You will probably either get a nicer MBA or a cheaper price and maybe you will get both.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Bosman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
I do appreciate those of you who put their 2cents in on this. It helps to hear this from people who have actually owned and had experience with them instead of just some people with an opinion who might not even own a mac!

The best thing for me to do would probably make myself stay away from rumor sites until I get real word the lineup has changed...This whole process makes me a little crazy to tell you the truth...I won't compromise on another brand. I want seamless integration of my tech and Apple is doing that for me. What they are also doing is not leaking any new laptops which frustrates me! haha!

It could be they wait 3 weeks to update, all the people who say screw it and going to get a mac today can't turn them in for new ones. I think the restock fee was one of the best ideas someone has come up with in a long time! I mean if i wanted to keep people from sending crap back all the time I would do updates that way prob. Some people buy and return stuff all the time and it kills profits.

Bosman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
i think i want a glass trackpad the same as the MBPs too. Smaller isn't important to me but shoot they could get rid of that metal bezel around the 13s screen and go the same route as the other MBs. I looked at the 17 MBPs and the matte screen has this stupid piece of aluminum like glued on the screen to border it. It was stupid at best.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Listen my friend, this one should be crystal clear: Don't buy the Macbook Air (or Pro for that matter) at this stage.

As Scottsdale has mentioned - you are going to be buying not only a computer at the end of Apple's cycle - you are getting old hardware at terrible bang/buck and you are getting a mobile processor at the end of Intel's approx 2-year cycle (assuming Apple go for 32nm for Air D).

So, unless you absolutely need a notebook right now and don't have one/can't sort out something in the interim, then it's a no-brainer. Too many potential hardware benefits for waiting at this stage.

Let me put it like this - if anyone dares get the Air at this stage, i'm going to have to hurt someone.

finiteyoda

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2007
Let me put it like this - if anyone dares get the Air at this stage, i'm going to have to hurt someone.

I just bought a rev C 2.13 with SSD the other day, and WOW is it fast! So amazingly thin and light too, with 10 times the battery life of my old HP... My only complaint is it begins to slow down a little once you start running Windows 7 in the background, but oh well, I don't really run Win7 apps that often.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Listen my friend, this one should be crystal clear: Don't buy the Macbook Air (or Pro for that matter) at this stage.

As Scottsdale has mentioned - you are going to be buying not only a computer at the end of Apple's cycle - you are getting old hardware at terrible bang/buck and you are getting a mobile processor at the end of Intel's approx 2-year cycle (assuming Apple go for 32nm for Air D).

So, unless you absolutely need a notebook right now and don't have one/can't sort out something in the interim, then it's a no-brainer. Too many potential hardware benefits for waiting at this stage.

This is pretty much what I was going to say.

findingforever

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
At this point, everything I have heard points to a worse performing MBA (granted the Intel igp is worse than the 9400). What is everyone else seeing, other than the end of a cycle, that stress the point to wait? What would be the best possible scenario including arrandale?

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I was among the group that was disappointed at the press release yesterday that a new processor wasn't announced...particularly for the MBP. I've been waiting since the end of November for a new laptop as my existing Mac has a battery that lasts about 5 mins now and I'm not going to spend the cash on a now 5 year old machine's battery.

Is the return policy at the Apple store 30 days? I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and buying a Air or MBP this weekend and if they announce another processor on one of those machines I'll just return what I have. I made the mistake of buy my last machine at the very end of the cycle and won't make the mistake of getting stuck with old technology for a "new technology" price again.

Mike

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Is the return policy at the Apple store 30 days? I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and buying a Air or MBP this weekend and if they announce another processor on one of those machines I'll just return what I have. I made the mistake of buy my last machine at the very end of the cycle and won't make the mistake of getting stuck with old technology for a "new technology" price again.

Mike

Return is 14 days.

potdude

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
The Apple retail stores are 14 days, but if you order online you only have to submit an RMA request within 14 days, or by the date shown in your account, which can be up to 21 days. Once you submitted an RMA request you have 2 additional weeks for return.

Return is 14 days.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Buy it now if it meets your needs

Either Apple has a machine that meets your needs now or it doesn't and either you have needs now or you do not.

If you have needs now and Apple offers a machine to meet them now, buy it now. The productivity and enjoyment you loose waiting for the "next model" is seldom going to be outweighed by the speed increase in the new model.

MAC models are typically released once a year, with an occasional very small tweak in between and a larger redesign every few years. You won't likely see a new MBA for months and it'll either be a very minor update (speed, ssd size and maybe ram size) or a larger update (new CPU/GPU + small stuff + remote possibility of a redesign). In this economy you are not going to see a price increase to its unlikely to give you any dramatic improvement.

Think about you needs and how long you plan to keep your new MBA and think about how it might change in that period. Chances are there will be nothing you can't do with today's model that you can with the new one and you are looking at speed increases of about 10%-20% per year. MAC's age surpassingly well so if you keep it for the 3 years of a Applecare warranty you you might see a nice speed bump of 30%-60^ in three years but will you really notice the 10%-20% difference you might see between now and 6 months from now.

halledise

macrumors 68000
Either Apple has a machine that meets your needs now or it doesn't and either you have needs now or you do not.

If you have needs now and Apple offers a machine to meet them now, buy it now. The productivity and enjoyment you loose waiting for the "next model" is seldom going to be outweighed by the speed increase in the new model.

MAC models are typically released once a year, with an occasional very small tweak in between and a larger redesign every few years. You won't likely see a new MBA for months and it'll either be a very minor update (speed, ssd size and maybe ram size) or a larger update (new CPU/GPU + small stuff + remote possibility of a redesign). In this economy you are not going to see a price increase to its unlikely to give you any dramatic improvement.

Think about you needs and how long you plan to keep your new MBA and think about how it might change in that period. Chances are there will be nothing you can't do with today's model that you can with the new one and you are looking at speed increases of about 10%-20% per year. MAC's age surpassingly well so if you keep it for the 3 years of a Applecare warranty you you might see a nice speed bump of 30%-60^ in three years but will you really notice the 10%-20% difference you might see between now and 6 months from now.

well said - most sensible comment in this thread thus far!

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver

Well its not quite now but I bought a MBA RevC last month. My only regret was missing out on a RevC as long as I did (waiting for a RevD - blush - but I learned my lesson) and am a very happy RevC owner now.

It won't bother me a bit when the revD comes out in one week or six months as the RevC meets my needs and I'll be happy with it until it no longer meets my needs and I transition to something else (be it a RevD or E some other model).

Now, if I had gotten a RevC and it didn't meet my needs I'd be chafing at the bit like the rest of you. Fortunately it does.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Let's think about the ACTUAL timeframe Apple releases MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs on. The MB is a little trickier as it was integrated into aluminum then MBP and the plastic remained. But if we count them all, it's more frequent than MBP and MBA updates.

• Original v 1,1 MBA. Introduced Jan 15, 2008, Merom CPU 1.6/1.8 started shipping Early February, 2008.
  • Revision v 2,1 MBA. Penryn C2D 1.6/1.86 and Nvidia 9400m released
    October 14 2008 - started shipping Late October 2008.
  • Revision v 2,1 MBA. Penryn C2S 1.86/2.13 released June 2, 2009 and started shipping in June 2009.

Date Timeline = 8 months...
  • February 2008 to October 2008 = >8 months (a few days more than 8 months)
  • October 2008 to June 2009 = <8months (a few days less than 8 months)

MBA Average Timeline = 8 MONTHS! Not ONE YEAR!

----------------------------------------

MBP Releases Feb 14, 2006 to June 2, 2009 (40 months) / 6 releases = <7 months.
Early 2006 Feb 14, 2006
Late 2006
Late 2007
Early 2008
Late 2008
Mid 2009 June 2, 2009

MBP Average Timeline = <7 Months! Not one year.

--------------------------------------

Guess what... if the MBA is updated at eight months again, it will be updated around the first week of February which isn't yet here. THERE IS NO HISTORICAL REASON TO BELIEVE IT WILL BE A FULL YEAR BEFORE THE MBA IS UPDATED AGAIN. It could be a full year, but that's NOT what the past has shown us!

I would say one would be getting the absolute WORST VALUE POSSIBLE to buy a new MBA right now. Apple's pricing system allows people to get the BEST POSSIBLE VALUE THE DAY A PRODUCT IS RELEASED. After the release, the value goes down as the technology gets older and older until the next product update is released. Also, the last time the MBA was released it didn't offer much in the way of component updates but it offered a $700 PRICE CUT! I foresee either a bigger update and the same pricing or a smaller update and another smaller price drop. A price drop with the next release wouldn't be nearly $700, but it could be $200 or $300 less for the high end model if it retains a C2D CPU, Nvidia GPU, and 128 GB SSD. Dell just reduced its Adamo offering with a 256GB SSD to $999, so we can assume that prices are dropping fast on the components in these ultraportables.

If you absolutely NEED an MBA, buy it now. If you don't need it, don't buy it now because it's currently a horrible value versus what the value might be with an update or price drop coming very soon. Even if it takes two months, you will most likely get a better CPU, MORE RAM (making the MBA last longer for you as the current 2 GB limit is the factor most list as the reason they will not buy the current MBA), and some additional small changes to great form factor changes is even possible. Sure, it could take longer before Apple updates the MBA, but it just isn't likely given the current 8 month cycle... it's been a little less than eight months and a little more than 8 months for the last two updates to the MBA. We are just entering that timeframe since the last update. If you wait, you will probably be greatly rewarded.

Even Mac Rumor's own MacBook Air guide states "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle." It also lists the average days between MBA updates as 255 (NOT 365) and states that we're currently at 235 days, thus implying an average update would be 20 days away.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Let's think about the ACTUAL timeframe Apple releases MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs on. The MB is a little trickier as it was integrated into aluminum then MBP and the plastic remained. But if we count them all, it's more frequent than MBP and MBA updates.

• Original v 1,1 MBA. Introduced Jan 15, 2008, Merom CPU 1.6/1.8 started shipping Early February, 2008.
  • Revision v 2,1 MBA. Penryn C2D 1.6/1.86 and Nvidia 9400m released
    October 14 2008 - started shipping Late October 2008.
  • Revision v 2,1 MBA. Penryn C2S 1.86/2.13 released June 2, 2009 and started shipping in June 2009.

Date Timeline = 8 months...
  • February 2008 to October 2008 = >8 months (a few days more than 8 months)
  • October 2008 to June 2009 = <8months (a few days less than 8 months)

MBA Average Timeline = 8 MONTHS! Not ONE YEAR!

----------------------------------------

MBP Releases Feb 14, 2006 to June 2, 2009 (40 months) / 6 releases = <7 months.
Early 2006 Feb 14, 2006
Late 2006
Late 2007
Early 2008
Late 2008
Mid 2009 June 2, 2009

MBP Average Timeline = <7 Months! Not one year.

--------------------------------------

Guess what... if the MBA is updated at eight months again, it will be updated around the first week of February which isn't yet here. THERE IS NO HISTORICAL REASON TO BELIEVE IT WILL BE A FULL YEAR BEFORE THE MBA IS UPDATED AGAIN. It could be a full year, but that's NOT what the past has shown us!

I would say one would be getting the absolute WORST VALUE POSSIBLE to buy a new MBA right now. Apple's pricing system allows people to get the BEST POSSIBLE VALUE THE DAY A PRODUCT IS RELEASED. After the release, the value goes down as the technology gets older and older until the next product update is released. Also, the last time the MBA was released it didn't offer much in the way of component updates but it offered a $700 PRICE CUT! I foresee either a bigger update and the same pricing or a smaller update and another smaller price drop. A price drop with the next release wouldn't be nearly $700, but it could be $200 or $300 less for the high end model if it retains a C2D CPU, Nvidia GPU, and 128 GB SSD. Dell just reduced its Adamo offering with a 256GB SSD to $999, so we can assume that prices are dropping fast on the components in these ultraportables.

If you absolutely NEED an MBA, buy it now. If you don't need it, don't buy it now because it's currently a horrible value versus what the value might be with an update or price drop coming very soon. Even if it takes two months, you will most likely get a better CPU, MORE RAM (making the MBA last longer for you as the current 2 GB limit is the factor most list as the reason they will not buy the current MBA), and some additional small changes to great form factor changes is even possible. Sure, it could take longer before Apple updates the MBA, but it just isn't likely given the current 8 month cycle... it's been a little less than eight months and a little more than 8 months for the last two updates to the MBA. We are just entering that timeframe since the last update. If you wait, you will probably be greatly rewarded.

Even Mac Rumor's own MacBook Air guide states "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle." It also lists the average days between MBA updates as 255 (NOT 365) and states that we're currently at 235 days, thus implying an average update would be 20 days away.

This still seems to support a history of about a year between machine revisions with an occasional minor speed bump in between. This data lists a number of releases that were only minor speed bumps where Apple did not change the Model Identifier (ie not a revision by their definition)

While I would not hazard a guess one way or another I expect we'll see either a minor update soon as Scottsdale suggests (Speed, SSD space and maybe RAM), or a bigger update farther out (New CPU/GPU and minor stuff and who knows what else).

Just depends on if the wait is worth the benefits of the new model and thats a tough decision given we don't know when a new MBA will be announced or what benefits it might feature.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

Even if the MBA update includes nothing more than 4GB of RAM, it will be well worth the wait for the OP. He has a Mac Pro to get him through the time... and it probably isn't going to be a long wait. Going from a Mac Pro to an MBA is going to be difficult no matter how bad he wants to be mobile. So waiting until the MBA is more capable will be worth the wait for the OP. The factor most more advanced Mac users list as being problematic with the MBA is the 2GB of RAM limitation.

In addition, the OP should consider how long he plans to use the MBA before updating. Some people might think the current MBA will meet all of their current needs, but I don't believe those people are considering the needs two years down the road.

Will 2GB of RAM really be sufficient two years from now? The average Mac sold right now has 4GB of RAM, and that's because systems and software are requiring and performing better with more and more RAM. Most of these other Mac offerings allow updates to 8GB or 16GB of RAM. The MBA is stuck with 2GB of RAM in its current offering... that RAM will NEVER be upgradeable! Will 2GB of RAM really be sufficient two years down the road? I know that I will be updating before then, so 2GB was fine for me this time. What about all of the people that plan to use the MBA for three or four years? Those people will probably be limited by what they can do on their MBA three years down the road if it only has 2GB of RAM. Remember, software, even the OS, can require more and more RAM with each update. I read some people say all they're ever going to need the MBA for is the apps they have right now, but they're not factoring in the demand increases just by continually updating their current software.

I would guess that Apple will boost sales of the MBA tremendously just by offering 4GB of RAM. I am sure Apple will understand the MBA's current limitation is the RAM and will adjust accordingly with its next update. Remember also that Apple is the king of incremental upgrades. Apple doesn't have to upgrade everything at once, and that would reduce future sales, so it maintains a cycle for the Macs that ensure continually sales spurts by simple incremental upgrades. In fact offering two RAM slots wouldn't make sense; this way Apple can offer 4GB of RAM soldered to the board with an update and then with a future update offer two RAM slots that will accept 4GB or 8GB of RAM. These factors is what keeps Mac buyers buying update after update.

I quite honestly don't understand how anyone thinks it's logical to buy an MBA right now if they don't absolutely need it. But I guess Apple wants people to be less "aware" and buy eight month old hardware at the end of a cycle for the same price as it sold the same Mac for eight months earlier. I don't believe Apple pays full price for those components that it's selling eight months later, do you? The most profitable MBA sales for Apple is to sell outdated MBAs right NOW which are full of heavily discounted components! It would be different if Apple dropped the prices accordingly as its suppliers dropped the components that make up the COGS. At the same time, the average person at these forums is "aware" and understands the update process and refuses to buy even though the wait can suck and they don't know the exact date Apple will update.

When buyers will not buy, because they're expecting an update, it absolutely forces Apple to update the Macs that aren't selling. Apple has its strategy down. It knows that it can capitalize on the fans and sell new products just by releasing a new Mac update with something different to us enthusiasts - usually small incremental updates. Then it knows the average Mac buyer will buy once they have read the reviews and like what they see and read. Then Apple polishes off any remaining sales and updates when sales suffer.

For anyone that doesn't absolutely need an MBA right now, wait and be rewarded. The past updates have heavily rewarded those who waited with either new components that made the MBA far more capable (first update), or price drops that made the MBA far more affordable (last update).

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
... I don't believe Apple pays full price for those components that it's selling eight months later, do you? The most profitable MBA sales for Apple is to sell outdated MBAs right NOW which are full of heavily discounted components! It would be different if Apple dropped the prices accordingly as its suppliers dropped the components that make up the COGS. At the same time, the average person at these forums is "aware" and understands the update process and refuses to buy even though the wait can suck and they don't know the exact date Apple will update.

Actually I do believe it. One of the things that sets Apple apart is their setting long term high quantity components contracts for a model duration. The prices are usually fixed for that duration. Keeping the components the same helps with reliability and supportability and thus user experience - Apples main distinguishing feature.

You didn't really think Apple batches parts from the lowest bidder each month like the many "motherboard of the month" PC manufacturers did you?

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
READ

If you are INSISTENT ON BUYING RIGHT NOW, Smalldog has a deal for the 1.8 Rev B with a superdrive for $1349.00.

The 1.8 benchmarks faster than the current 2.13, though I think it also runs hotter. However it's a steal of a deal.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
READ

If you are INSISTENT ON BUYING RIGHT NOW, Smalldog has a deal for the 1.8 Rev B with a superdrive for $1349.00.

The 1.8 benchmarks faster than the current 2.13, though I think it also runs hotter. However it's a steal of a deal.

That's actually a good price if it's new. Remember Apple has the same refurbished MBA minus the SuperDrive for the same price. I would say if I absolutely had to have an MBA right now, I would buy that if it were $1349 new with SuperDrive. But if I could wait for even a few weeks, and I had another Mac available, I would absolutely positively wait it out.

The bottom line for me would be, it's a short-term solution until I can buy the MBA I really want. The thing is, if our OP is made of money, he can go buy a new MBA and take the loss to dump it once the MBA he really wants comes out... but most people don't have that luxury. And most people aren't buying an MBA to use for a year or less either. So, if he's going to use it for three or four years, waiting will probably provide a much more capable MBA.

I still say wait unless you have money to burn or you need an MBA because your Mac Pro crapped out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.