Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
The ringer switch on my iPhone 3GS recently popped off and now I can't push the toggle to silent mode. I brought it in to the Apple Store and they told me i must have used excessive force on it and my only option was to pay $199 for an out of warranty replacement. Awesome.

So instead I jailbroke it and bought Auto Silent for $3 off of Cydia. It works great, except it completely stops push notifications from coming through regardless of the settings I have for Push (and regardless of whether a profile is active or not...as long as this app is installed it completely ruins my Push notifications.) As soon as I uninstall it, Push notifications start working again.

So are there any alternatives to Auto Silent? I don't mind paying for them, since it will likely be a lot less than $200 :)

It's also annoying that the volume rocker takes it down to a minimum of 1 bar of volume. This is still quite audible in a quiet environment (library, class).

Also -- I know it's not the jailbreak method. I suspected this at first. I used blackra1n initially and then restored back to Apple's firmware, and then used redsn0w and I still have the same Push issues. I only narrowed it down to Auto Silent after a lot of googling.

daveb1983

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
i use a more comprehensive app called aTimeTool. You can toggle wi-fi, silent, push notifications, apps and pretty much anything with it. You can also set profiles to do it automatically eg, put ur phone in silent mode at 11pm every night. Well worth the money i'd say.
Also have you tried the SB setting add on for silent? you just open SB Settings and click this to put ur phone into and out of silent mode. You cant preset times etc but its free and may be ok if thats all you need.
Hope this helps

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
is there a 'manual' mode for aTimeTool? A way to just put it into 'silent' mode without scheduling?

I was using the AS SBsettings toggle when I had Auto Silent installed. The SBSettings toggle for the app would be useless without having Auto Silent installed.

daveb1983

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
there is an SB settings toggle for atimetool so in theory if you schedule atimetool to put ur phone in silent constantly, you can then use SB settings to turn atimetool off and hopefully if will then put ur phone in ring mode.
there are cracked versions of atimetool you can get for free, and altho i don't support this type of thing, i guess it may be useful to check if this works before paying, and if it does, then purchasing the proper app
Hope it works

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Thanks for the tip, but I got Auto Silent working correctly now. My initial install must have been a little messed up but now it's working perfectly with my push notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.