Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theranch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
I was thinking about this since the release of the Airport Express and iTunes 4.6....
I'm thinking that in the next iPod we will have the ability to play your playlists to your home stereo via Airport Express and a built-in or attachable wireless "module".

This would be awesome for parties... control the party from your iPod while you mingle with the croud. "What? Oh you think it's too loud?" or "It's time to change the party mood?" all of this easy control at your finger tips.
Now you wouldn't have to rely on scurrying off to a room where your cpu is located or try to fumble through your playlists on that computer... just whip out the iPod and keep the party going.

Make a note of this...I think it could happen.

The Ranch

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it seems a lot of people think this is going to happen, but my question is, what about battery life???

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yeah sure you can pop it in for a quick charge or whatever, but thats not the problem. the iPod only gets 8 hours of life now if your lucky, add in an airport card to power, and then power to transmit and recieve from the airport express and you would be lucky to get a good amount of batter life. i would think that the battery life would be cut in half. There would be so much more processing going on and all that if you could only use it this way for about four hours before needing a charge, is it worth it? No, not to me at least. What apple NEEDS to do for the next iPod is figure some way to increase the battery performance and then they can work on these little extra features

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
i think that they sould build things to tie all the iLife apps into iPod.

For instance. Have an audio in jack where you can plug a gutar into it and record what you play. When you pop it into your mac a list comes up of witch program to open. You select Garageband and there. You have your recorded song.

Another cool feature would be to build a removable camera (sold seprate) that can take pictures or record video. When you plug it in it would put the video into iMovie and photos in iPhoto.

Sure the battery life wouldn't be long on the current models but if you look at other companys their HD mp3 players have battery lives up to 20 hours.

With a few simple upgrades i think this could be possible.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
PlaceofDis said:
it seems a lot of people think this is going to happen, but my question is, what about battery life???

It's always possible that apple could have a new battery type like the one that sony has in their new player...

TBR

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2004
Blackpool - England
If the transmitting module is seperate to the iPod, (As it would need to be) Then why not have that running on batteries?

That solves your iPod battery problem straight away!

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
you could just use a navipod to have something similar but much cheaper...
but it's not quite the same since you can only change the volume, play/pause, and skip forward and back tracks....

but it's cheaper, and you can get it today...

reality

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
When is it coming?

Speaking of new iPod...

When is that darn thing coming already?! It's past time!
I have been waiting so long... I got this darn Archos 2 years ago (because iPod was iGyp then) and swore I would get a new one no matter the cost. Now I don't want to get one now because I know a 4th gen is coming soon... it needs to hurry up! When it does, I am first in line at North Point!

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
tekno_geek911 said:
People over at SpyMac are saying the new iPod's will be unveiled when the iTune's Music Store reaches 100,000,000 songs.
Doubt it. Apple wouldn't release anything unless it was a set date and with the iPod I would assume it would have a giant media turnout to spread the word.

I'm thinking it would be either in Paris or MWSF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.