Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squattybog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I am a new user and have just switched my mac on for the first time. In the icons at the bottom I clicked on mail to set up my hotmail account(s). Could anyone tell me how I set up hotmail. It asks me if it is pop, imap, exchange2007 or exchange imap, then asks for an incoming and outgoing mail server. I do not know what to enter. Also, in mail, will I be able to set up multiple hotmail accounts? Thank you.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Incoming Server: pop3.live.com
Incoming Port: 995
SSL Encryption: yes
Outgoing Server: smtp.live.com
Outgoing port: 25 (use port 587 if the default port is not working)
Authentication: yes
TLS Or SSL: yes

That's the settings to set it up to work as POP, but I really think you should ditch Hotmail.

Get a GMail account instead.

squattybog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Hotmail on IMAC

Thank you for that. I have just set up what I thought was GMail - googlemail - new account. I tried to enter that into Mail and it asked me for the same information as it does for hotmail. Have I done something wrong? Hotmail is now working thanks.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Thank you for that. I have just set up what I thought was GMail - googlemail - new account. I tried to enter that into Mail and it asked me for the same information as it does for hotmail. Have I done something wrong? Hotmail is now working thanks.

For gmail its a little different

Incoming Server: imap.gmail.com
Incoming Port: 993
SSL Encryption: yes
Outgoing Server: smtp.gmail.com
Outgoing port: 25
Authentication: yes
TLS Or SSL: yes

With gmail you can use IMAP instead of POP. Your mail client will stay in sync with the gmail server rather than just pull the latest emails down. So if you delete a piece of mail from the gmail website, the next time your Mac syncs, it will know to delete that piece of mail as well. I have my Mac connected to both my Hotmail and gmail accounts and they both work fine, although gmail with IMAP doesn't go offline as often. Hotmail will stop responding if your client tries to check for mail too often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.