Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve Jobs held a town hall meeting at Apple late last week following the iPad launch to field questions from Apple's employees about the launch. Wired reports on what was said at the meeting by Steve Jobs. Two of the big topics included Google and Adobe.

On Google, Jobs confirms the much-reported competition between the two companies.
On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won’t let them, he says.
As for Adobe, Jobs said they are lazy and Jobs blames Adobe for a buggy implementation of Flash on the Mac as one of the reasons they won't support it.
Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.
Those are the main points covered by Wired's article. We had received a more detailed report of the Apple meeting, but hadn't been able to corroborate it until now. Many of the details of the Wired report line up with our anonymous submission, so we believe it likely to be accurate. Some additional key points that we learned:

- Apple will deliver aggressive updates to iPhone that Android/Google won't be able to keep up with
- iPad is up there with the iPhone and Mac as the most important products Jobs has been a part of
- Regarding the Lala acquisition, Apple was interested in bringing those people into the iTunes team
- Next iPhone coming is an A+ update
- New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level
- Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it.

Article Link: Steve Jobs at Apple Town Hall Meeting, Google, Adobe, Next iPhone, 2010 Macs and More

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Jobs is right about flash. Whenever a browser crashes on my Macbook, its because of flash.

Steve was surprisingly open here. I'm surprised. I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve this year.

My favorite thing about the Droids is that users always claim they are either as good, or better than an iPhone, and can't name one thing it does better.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
"The world is moving to HTML5." - May it be so, Steve, may it be so!

"Apple will deliver aggressive updates to iPhone that Android/Google won't be able to keep up with." - Better make it quick Steve, your competitors aren't exactly sitting around. The yearly refresh cycle probably isn't going to cut it anymore.

Aug 26, 2008
If this is for real, it's at least encouraging. Acknowledging that Macs will be taken to the "next level" in 2010 is something...

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Nothing about Apple TV? Interesting nevertheless. Jobs has his fire back. Mozilla recently said the same thing about browser crashes and Adobe Flash, and that’s on both platforms.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Ohh no. Pls just implement Bluray in a way that it is no mess. Why waiting any longer ???

Looking forward to those new Macs this year :) I hope that he doesn't mean touch screens.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Honestly I don't know why people want blu-ray in their notebooks so badly

With video streaming and downloading what is the point?

I rather they just remove the optical and use the space for something else

gocardsfan1

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
If this is for real, it's at least encouraging. Acknowledging that Macs will be taken to the "next level" in 2010 is something...

I thought the same thing, but it could just be a promotional pitch to spur excitement. I'm not sure what they could really do, besides lower prices. But apple isn't really aiming at the low-priced computer market. It will be interesting to see what they do this year.

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I dont remember the last time my computer crashed, froze or firefox crashed due to flash. I have a mac pro. Is it only me that thinks this whole flash debacle is greatly exaggerated?

Anyway, if he says that macs are going to be taken to the next level, im expecting some crossfire capability for ATI cards, garbage collection for SSD drives and a fix on the green button in the finder and other applications as it does NOT properly maximize windows.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I thought Steve looked healthier at this past keynote. He looked slightly heavier and he seemed to have more energy and his voice wasn't as raspy.

He does seem to have his fire back.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
- Apple will deliver aggressive updates to iPhone that Android/Google won't be able to keep up with

Coincidentally, major iPhone OS updates are usually announced in March, right around when the iPad will start shipping. I imagine there will be impressive changes to the OS related to the iPad to get people excited right before its release (although the OS update probably won't be ready until the summer).

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
- Next iPhone coming is an A+ update

I can't wait to see what OS 4.0 has in store. For that matter, I can't wait to see what changes in 4.0 will affect the iPad. Maybe some of things people are grumbling over will be addressed.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
This will hopefully put to rest the requests for Flash on the iPhone/iPad. It's not going to happen, everyone can move on, and we can look forward to HTML5.

ScaryRobot

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
The Apple/Google dynamic is turning out to be really fascinating. They are, more than any other companies, I think, the two that are going to shape the future of mainstream computing, so it's expected that they'll butt heads every now and then, I think. But there are also huge areas of cooperation between them, e.g. web standards.

Apple hasn't a had a serious rival in a while (the Microsoft stuff has been just formulaic for over a decade now). It will be interesting to see them in full fight mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.