Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I bought a Gateway FPD1830 monitor a year or so ago, and I haven't been happier with a computer purchase until this week. It has always been very bright and there aren't any dead pixels. But lately when I turn it on it flickers (the correct image) and then dies. The power LED is still green. I can still do things on the computer when it is off. It is acting exactly like a florescent light that is going bad, which is precisely what a backlight is.

So it seems pretty clear to me that all I have to do is spend $15.00 to replace the backlight, rather than spending hundreds of dollars getting it repaired somewhere else or buying a new one.

But can I be sure it's the backlight? I have no reason to believe otherwise, but I just want to be very sure before I make any purchases. I don't know too much about LCD's so I'd feel much better if I wasn't making repair decisions based on my knowledge alone.

Thanks,

scem0

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Oh, actually, there is one thing that makes me think it may not be the backlight. It flickers and then dies, but occasionally it catches and stays on. Instead of flickering for 3 seconds and then going black it flickers for 7 or 8 and then stays on and works perfectly. The monitor hasn't been dimming at all either.

As long as I don't turn it off after it catches then it will stay on, and work as it should.

This leads me to believe that it could be the inverter, but I don't know enough to be sure.

scem0

RavagedElement

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2004
I found this post after searching for "Gateway FPD1830 problems."

I'm having the exact same problem!

I bought a Gateway FPD1830 about a year ago, it's worked perfectly, and all of a sudden whenever bringing it out of sleep, it flickers and dies.

I've found several temporary fixes, but they're starting to work less and less: if you do an auto align (the up or down arrow buttons below the screen when the menu isn't active) or automatically set the source (whatever that does... the source/set button the right) over and over again, the picture tends to get caught and be perfect again. Also, I've noticed moving the mouse a lot, so there's movement on the screen tends to help catch the image while hitting those buttons.

In any case, I really really wanna figure out a solution. Also, given the ridiculous similarity of our stories... maybe Gateway should be fixing it for us?

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I can't contact them, I have an international S# which doesn't work with their site.

I sent them an email with a fake serial number (0101010101) to no avail.

Did they give any good instructions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

scem0

RavagedElement

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2004
Nah, they didn't help at all. Even though the site definitely says they provide support for all products with the Gateway logo, they wouldn't help because I didn't purchase through them.

I'm pretty sure it's the backlight, because when I shine a flashlight next to the screen, I can make out the display (and it's not a burned image, cuz it shows movement).

Do you know how easy backlight replacement may be? I can't seem to find any business that repairs LCD monitors in DC metro area.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
I don't think it's the backlight, it's the inverter. I had this exact problem on my DOA iMac: flickering display that would sometimes come on and then go off. When it finally died the dispaly would still light up briefly (looking perfect) for about a second and then go black when coming out of sleep. When the screen went black you could hold a flashlight up to the display to read it. (That's how I was able to burn my data to a CD in order to send the unit back.)

I did a lot of searching, including on these forums, before I found out on the Apple web site that this was a "fairly common" iMac problem; the inverter going out in the arm.

So I just want to point out that it may not be the backlight at all. In fact if you can get the light to come on at all -- no matter how briefly -- then I'd say it's the inverter.

RavagedElement

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2004
Yeah, then I suppose it is in the inverter.

See, not only can I get it on at all, I can get it on indefinitely. Once I can get the image to lock, I can set my computer to never turn of the monitor in the power settings and then there's no problem at all until I have to turn the monitor off.

Is the inverter easily replaceable/repairable?

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
exactly - but I hate leaving the LCD on all day and all night. Mine's been on for 4 days now.... :eek:

and you can buy a FPD1830 inverter:
http://www.moniserv.com/doc/inverter.htm
but it costs $100 :(.

I'm 17, I can't afford this... I spent all the money i had on buying the monitor in the first place...

scem0

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I'm tempted to call Gateway and bitch until they do something. Then again, they probably can't do anything because of my international Serial Number...

Then again, maybe a wire is just loose or something and a jiggle or two might fix it.

Whatever the case, if you get it fixed, post what you did here.

I'll be in China with Kalamazoo College till the 29th.

scem0

RavagedElement

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2004
I shelled out the hundred bucks for a new inverter. Installation was almost effortless and my monitor's working again, good as new.

mm88ting

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2005
Monitor Backlight Clues

I had one of these monitors fail, did some checking around, and found this forum. On the inverter board there is a surface mount component labelled "F1". I thought that this might be a fuse. I checked it with my ohm meter, and the fuse was open (supposed to be closed). I think that this fuse could be the cause of the problem. The board I ordered for this monitor should be coming soon, that way I might be able to tell what this company is doing to fix these boards. I'm guessing that they might be blowing what I belive to be this fuse, for no reason? If not, what component on this board is doing this? Will try to update in the next week or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.