Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Normal USB Hub?

i'm running an mBox, some usb powered speakers, and an m-audio midi controller, and also need one free port for a thumb drive or whatever

There are a plethora of USB hubs that you can get. Just google, for example, "4 port USB 2.0 hub".

http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCAQ8gIwAA#

no hubs.
the whole thing has to run off the mbp battery.
there is NO ELECTRICITY where we are recording.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
no hubs.

Um...... Perfect lightweight travel tool, this compact Hub tucks easily into the pocket of your laptop bag, and requires no extra power supply.

Did you even look at the link?:confused:

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Um...... Perfect lightweight travel tool, this compact Hub tucks easily into the pocket of your laptop bag, and requires no extra power supply.

Did you even look at the link?:confused:

been there, done that, and failed.
the usb powered hub seems to split the power between all peripherals connected.
from my tests, i could only have either the mbox plugged in or just the speakers, but with both connected simultaneously, neither would not function. it wouldn't even recognize an external usb 2.0 drive while the mbox was plugged in.

i'm pretty sure the route i have to take is via EXPRESSCARD, so i'm hoping someone here can report on their success and give a recommendation

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
no hubs.

Sounds pretty ghetto, maybe you should upgrade your recording site. Or get a generator or something, or at least a battery and inverter.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Sounds pretty ghetto, maybe you should upgrade your recording site. Or get a generator or something, or at least a battery and inverter.
i'll tell you what's really ghetto: unplugging devices to plug in others. on that note, i would like to add one thing to this discussion in case anyone @  development is reading:

• the macbook pro is bar far the greatest laptop I've ever owned, but i still haven't seen where the "pro" aspect comes in
  • i know FW is superior- and i've maxed all those ports out as well, but 95% of digital peripherals use usb.
  • by no means am i trying to start another mac vs pc debate- but look at the dell inspiron 6000- it has 6 usb ports. THE POINT IS NOT the fact that it's a pc but rather, it's a $350 laptop.
  • i don't expect anyone to agree with me, (especially here) and i don't regret my $2800 purchase, and this is just my personal opinion alone: i do not think there is anything "pro" about having to unplug devices to plug in other devices. it's kinda... how did you say, ghetto?
  • and before you say "get a mac pro" or something along the lines of "you should have thought about..." i actually did a significant amount of research and weighed in the fact that i would have to use an expresscard for more ports and EVEN THEN, i thought the mbp's lack of ports was a little mediocre, but went ahead and bought it anyway because it's the most awesome laptop there is. :D (fyi, i don't want electricity anywhere near me- it's just me, my cabin and 12 mbp batteries)
  • now, i'm one of those people that upgrades every time a newer version comes out, but the lack of usb AND firewire ports inthe unibody was an instant dealbreaker for me. in that sense, i couldn't think of a reason to buy the unibody this epic thread illustrates that i'm not alone in thinking that the unibody took a step back. i was shocked because i was hoping for MORE PORTS, NOT LESS!
  • so in closing, i am pleading for more ports in the next release. not just usb, but everthing: 2 external monitor ports, 3 FW, 6 USB, hold 1 trillion songs and come in 15 different colors!!!1 :D

Jazojas12

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
[*]so in closing, i am pleading for more ports in the next release. not just usb, but everthing: 2 external monitor ports, 3 FW, 6 USB, hold 1 trillion songs and come in 15 different colors!!!1 :D[/LIST]

in for MBP coming in this color:
nano-black.jpg

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Why don't you get a midi-midi cable from your midi controller to the mbox? Then you only need 2 USB ports and go firewire to a external hd if you really want to go crazy! Then you won't have to get an express card.

Otherwise, get a card with USB ports on it. If you do though, make sure to use the ports connected directly to your computer for the mbox.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
So...you are in the middle of nowhere and are recording. I guess you are recording acoustic source. The problem with more USB ports is each one supplying power for additional devices sucks more power from your laptop battery. Unless you are only going to record for short segments and then return to civilization to recharge your computer your suggestion is impractical.

mesq

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Why don't you get a midi-midi cable from your midi controller to the mbox? Then you only need 2 USB ports and go firewire to a external hd if you really want to go crazy! Then you won't have to get an express card.

Sorry but what is going to power the midi controller?

i'm running an mBox, some usb powered speakers, and an m-audio midi controller, and also need one free port for a thumb drive or whatever

What are u recording?

Pretty much you can ditch your speakers - I can't see any reason why you would need them.
A firewire 800 interface would be much better for you and leave your USB ports for less intensive stuff.

You can get eight port (or higher) USB hubs that plug into one of your computers' USB ports. So just plug the two usb hubs' connectors (the power and the data) into the computer and one into the computer itself and the rest of your devices into the hub.

Some ExpressCard USB Hubs don't work on Mac so that cannot be guaranteed.

You really don't have any other options.

King Mook Mook

mesq

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
last time we did this we recorded about 40 minutes of vocal, flute, sax and a bunch of crickets.
yea, forgot to mention the speakers stay- it's headphone world all the way.
got my fw800 port filled with a oxford 924 chipset hdd

Don't understand why you need speakers... Anyway you could always power the speakers from a car battery with inverter.

quadG5guy

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Richmond, VA
no hubs.
Why then are you using USB? :confused: There's far more options for audio recording with Firewire devices, plus the Firewire port provides more than 3x the amount of bus power that USB does. So you can run many more bus-powered devices off of it (you can daisy-chain up to 127 devices to a single firewire port, no hub required). USB is a joke.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Don't understand why you need speakers... Anyway you could always power the speakers from a car battery with inverter.

i'm sorry, i meant "stay" as in stay at home
but the car battery thing is brilliant

Inutopia

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2009
South of Heaven
hehe.. If you are you are using condenser mics on that Mbox and usb speakers AND external storage each one of those dozen batteries is going to last you about 10 mins. Have fun with that...

You are also going to need to make sure whatever hub you buy gives the full 500mA on each port or you are SOL there too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.