Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I have an idea of a custom clamshell case for the iPad & Apple Bluetooth keyboard. This will turn the iPad into a super light weight touch screen iPadBook.

Your thoughts on the idea? Will it sell?

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Sounds rather cumbersome to me.

Maybe you could call it an iPadBook, but not a MacBook. That would require OS X.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
the clamshell will not need power so not additional battery drain other than the Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

jlamb0

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
I'm not interested in getting the iPad unless it can replace my Macbook. The inclusion of iWork almost gets it there, but I need to be able to take notes in class, and I simply NEED a physical keyboard for that. The keyboard dock would be awkward to use on those small desks, and I would be worried about knocking the iPad over. The problem with using an undocked keyboard, either by bluetooth or USB, is that only the iPad or the keyboard would fit on the desk at a time; not both.

A product like you have just described would finally push the replacement of my macbook into the realm of realistic possibility! I would definitely buy one.

MikeyTree

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2007
It depends on how it's implemented and how it looks. The idea could be a bulky monstrosity, but if it's elegant and light I might be interested.

I suspect you'd be better off making a custom dock or hinge for connecting the two, or a carrying case for both that turns into a stand for the ipad while you use the BT keyboard.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
This is an interesting thread. Clearly the iPad has people re-thinking what it means to have a portable computer even if Apple is desperately trying to position it as a media device that happens to run iWork.

To take notes in class or a meeting, I think I'd rather use the on-screen keyboard or handwriting recognition and have the whole thing flat on my desk so it's not in my way of seeing what's going on in the room. Even if I was doing a presentation, I'd rather have the thing flat on the desk and operate it remotely, possibly using that new wifi based iPhone as a touchpad app. Now that's an interesting dilemma. Clearly Logitech intends the app to be used for an iPhone or iTouch to control a computer but now that the iPad is out, there is the possibility of using an iPhone or iTouch to control an iPad. Two devices that are supposed to be peers in Apple's scheme of things are suddenly wanting to be treated differently.

As for a clamshell case, I bet you could tuck a bluetooth keyboard into the case Apple showed during the press conference. Of course there's the possibility that somebody knocks your iPad off the table when they walk by. People bump my laptop screen all the time but I'd want a way to keep the iPad from being easily knocked off the table in those situations where I wanted it to be used as if it was a traditional notebook screen. I'm sure there will be dozens of products in this category offering various viewing angles and so forth.

Of course the screen technology of the iPad might make it practical to support viewing angles we aren't accustomed to with notebooks. Nobody lays their notebook screen down to type because the viewing angle is severely limited. I wonder if people would mind an iPad flat on the desk and a keyboard flat on the desk in front of it? No mechanical gadgetry required. If the viewing angle is as good as Apple says it is, this should be possible.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I actually plan on using an iPad as my primary computer so have thought a great deal about "the keyboard thing."

For the home base, buying the keyboard dock is a no brainer. As for the OP's idea...ultimately it's all in the execution. If the accessory helps protect the iPad, adds minimal weight beyond the Apple BT keyboard, and doesn't scratch the screen when folded....then sure it might sell IF well executed.

HOWEVER, I think this also requires that two other questions be answered first:

1) How is the onscreen keyboard? I mean, when the iPhone was introduced (but not shipped) so many people thought it'd be useless. Now I'm so proficient with the iPhone's keyboard that I scoff at the idea of a hard keyboard on a phone (and I'm a former BB addict).

2) How portable is the keyboard dock itself? Does it fold? Will it have it's own separate case?

So, to the OP, I think your idea supposes that the answer to those questions is: 'bad' and 'not very.' Given Apple's history, I wouldn't count on it.

TM

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
I always wished this was made

I always wished this was made...

Attachments

• olo.jpg
    olo.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 148
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.