Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casa

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
Hmmm... I hate to sort of bump this thread, but if anyone's still able and interested in helping out with that MSI card ROM, it would be highly appreciated. From my understanding after reading Rominator's post on the last side, it simply takes someone a little more tech-savy than me. I sort of understood the script to make an EFI-ROM, but editing the ROM furthermore (for RAM issues or whatever) is way beyond my horizon.

Even though the package provided by netkas makes the card work in OS X somehow, it's still a rather problematic solution. As I said before, I'm sure fan control doesn't work at all, even under heavy load the fan spins at a very low rate barely audible, so I'm constantly waiting for overheat symptoms. In Windows the card overheats fast in games if I reduce the fan speed manually, so I'm quite sure things are not right in OS X.

Second problem is lack of sleep support, which is really annoying. If the Mac falls asleep and I wake it up again, it simply restarts! As you can imagine, this is rather annoying, no way I can leave the computer alone for a while without saving all my stuff, or better, shutting it down.

Last but not least, keeping both the ATI and the old 7300GT in the Mac is still no option, either things in Windows don't work anymore (as soon as I install the nVidia drivers, the ATI won't work as main VGA anymore... I blame nVidia for that), or OS X gives me trouble with showing me an extended desktop even though no 2nd display exists... however, my main concern is heat and lack of sleep in OS X.

Here's the original MSI ROM again, if anyone's willing to try. I'm sure Stratoukos would appreciate the help too, I assume he'll run into the same problems I did.

Attachments

• MSI_4870.zip
    46.4 KB · Views: 86

sbeehre

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Hi Everyone

Ive got a Saphire 1GB 4870 with a PN of 1113-19-20R i found a possible rom for it on page 80 as it appears blunderbus has the same card as me. I grabbed the attached rom in The Rominators post and it works absolutely fine in OSX but in windows games are un-playable and are all distorted and artifacted. The original ROM for my card is attached... if someone could figure out or let me know what the problem could be that would be awesome!

cheers

Simon

Attachments

• PCSAPH4870.rom.zip
    46.3 KB · Views: 88

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
apple 4870.ROM @ rapidshare, full slots all the time, can't download

any1 care to send? or attach to msg here. thx.

sbeehre

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Hey Cindori

What was the reasoning in combining the 4870's vga bios with the efi rom? wouldnt the card still work ok in windows just with the efi rom?

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
the efi rom is from apple 512mb card, it wont work if you flash it straight onto a 1gb card. you have to combine them both.

sbeehre

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
the efi rom is from apple 512mb card, it wont work if you flash it straight onto a 1gb card. you have to combine them both.

i just found out that the hard way! :lol: I'm going to have to re-flash it in a PC now... I have a small problem as i cut the molex connectors off the power cable's that came with the card because i was going to make my own, but in the end bought some. I need a high res photo of the molex connectors so i can re-wire up the original cable, if anyone can help that would be awesome!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
any newer PC actually has at least one of those connectors already wired to it's power supply

if you are in LA area, I have a dozen or so of those adapters littering a drawer

The HDD plug has 2 voltages I think 5V and 12V...the PCIE plug is just 12V

sbeehre

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
any newer PC actually has at least one of those connectors already wired to it's power supply

if you are in LA area, I have a dozen or so of those adapters littering a drawer

unfortunately im in new zealand mate so its a bit far :) if you could take a couple of pics that would be a really great help.

sbeehre

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009

ok well ive put some 4 pin molex connectors back on and im going to re-flash the card... but i still have graphics corruption issues in windows! I attached the original rom a few posts back and have used Pipomolo42's ROM writing instructions to create a new rom but as i said games are un-playable in windows. Is there any chance you could take a look at the Rom and maybe come up with some ideas?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Rominator had made a rom for ZWFL earlier, well I got a ZWFL Revision E.0 today and it wasnt compatible. so i made one

so here is working rom for ZWFL Rev. E.0

http://groths.se/atiflashingtool/ZWFLE-0.zip

Interesting. Does it still have the power warning on boot ?

If not.... would it work with older rev ZWFL already flashed with Romintator's version. ? I assume just a reflash with ATI TOOL ?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Make Your Own Mac Pcie Cables Cheap & Easy

Buy a couple of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123301

Clip off the female end.

Buy 2 of these:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...600virtualkey53810000virtualkey538-43025-0600

And 14 of these:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...001virtualkey53810000virtualkey538-43030-0001

Strip 4mm or so of the insulation at end of each wire. You only need 12 of the little pins but I'm gonna guess you might screw a couple up, they ARE small. Get more if your are especially clumsy.

Using care and steady hands, crimp the little connectors over the ends. Take time to make them round & tight...not place for sloppy work.

Insert in the connectors you bought. They are a pin-for-pin match for the original larger plug....the particular one I have linked to is ideal...yellow on top for 12V + , with black for three pins on bottom for...guess if you can....12V -.

And I don't want to hear from any whiny Europeans that those vendors don't deliver to Lower Slobovia. The Mouser pages give the Molex part numbers...there must be someone who carries these everywhere. (Everywhere with electricity anyway)

As far as the cable from Newegg, I am sure you can find this same part OR SOMETHING SIMILAR at a local Electro Parts retailer. Point is, it has the important PCIE plug end already wired with wires of a good length. Takes much work out of "doing it yourself". It seems ATI hasn't bothered to restock them and I have had a bad experience with S-Video.

I tried to convince Monoprice to make/stock them but there seems to be a language barrier between me and their offices 40 miles East of here.

Speaking of Monoprice...don't buy this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10245&cs_id=1024503&p_id=2883&seq=1&format=2

It has incorrect PCIE end. I tried to bring this to their attention but they pretended not to understand me. They even erased my customer review.

So there it is....GET TO WORK !!!!

Ikyo

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
I am wondering what my options are needing 2 outputs for my display and Cintiq tablet. The last time I check this thread the PC version of the 4870 only allowed for 1 display. Has anything been done to use 2? If not, what are my options as far as getting a PC card and putting it in my '09 Mac Pro? I would also consider purchasing one that is already ready to go from someone. Just make sure you have be around awhile and in the US.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I am wondering what my options are needing 2 outputs for my display and Cintiq tablet. The last time I check this thread the PC version of the 4870 only allowed for 1 display. Has anything been done to use 2? If not, what are my options as far as getting a PC card and putting it in my '09 Mac Pro? I would also consider purchasing one that is already ready to go from someone. Just make sure you have be around awhile and in the US.

That was a long time ago. Both the 4870 and 4890 have supported dual displays under OS X since at least Snow Leopard's release.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hard to believe we could buy the perfect 1 Gig 4870 from Newegg for $150 just a few months ago.

Now the 4870s are VERY sparse and even the 4890s have thinned out due to the 5XXX cards taking the limelight.

Ikyo

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Yeah, I loved it back when the 8800GT was the hot card. I could pick them up every day at Microcenter near me.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Hard to believe we could buy the perfect 1 Gig 4870 from Newegg for $150 just a few months ago.

Now the 4870s are VERY sparse and even the 4890s have thinned out due to the 5XXX cards taking the limelight.

Indeed, I managed to snag my 4890 at an excellent time. Here's hoping we'll be able to flash the 5870s soon.

Ikyo

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
What would we need to test it? I can get a copy of the ROM if needed I am sure.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
the usual process of enabling a pc card for mac:

upload rom of card

pray a gpu god comes along and modifies it

flash to card and with then see if it works, half-works, or totally breaks the card.

Ikyo

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Okay, I am wondering if we could match the ROM MD5 to another existing one too. I know someone selling 2 and could get them fairly cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.