Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Hi, I am looking for a free reputable site that converts Youtube videos to mp3 files.

I did a search and tried 2 sites but stopped as they both seemed sketchy. I had a "unvarified securety warning" pop up on my computer from one site. The other one I tried had me prompted to a survey I had to fill out in order to convert the video which ended up being a marketing ploy for phone ringtones that you get charged for. Needless to say, I bailed on both sites.

Are there any real, legit decent Youtube to Mp3 converter sites that offer a decent, safe application or service?

Thanks for any advice.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Nice one. Yeah, I have a Mac. Dumb question, but how do I download a Youtube file to my desktop so I can drag and drop using that link? I just have the url links of the Youtube files. Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Nice one. Yeah, I have a Mac. Dumb question, but how do I download a Youtube file to my desktop so I can drag and drop using that link? I just have the url links of the Youtube files. Thanks!

If you Google "download YouTube videos", you'll find many, many tools.

Grey Podder

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
bluetooth,

If you just have the YouTube urls, there are two ways I download videos, one with additional software and one without.

The easier way is to install the 1.6b5 version of ClickToFlash (http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/). This blocks all flash content in Safari except for the sites that you allow. One feature of ClickToFlash allows you to stream the higher-quality h.264 videos from YouTube, the same versions that cater to iPhones and iPod touches. The beta adds to this feature by placing a "Download Movie" link beneath the YouTube video, so you only need to click. This works for most YouTube videos, because most have been converted to h.264 for iPhone users.

The other, more complicated way, which does not require ClickToFlash, is to open the Activity (Command Option A) and Download (Command Option L) windows in Safari. When you load a YouTube page, you can see all the elements of the page loading. The largest one in the Activity window is usually the video file. When it is done loading, click that file in the Activity window, then copy it. Then just click the Download window and paste.

Then you can use the ecamm software I linked to earlier if you wish.

i person

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
UK

If you go to the youtube video, (in safari) go Window > Activity, then find the largest file and double-click it. It will then download to your downloads folder. Thats just to get the youtube file to your desktop, including the video (if there is one).

p.s. sorry about hijacking the thread, but does anyone know of a app that will convert the downloaded youtube file to .mp3 or .aac ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.