Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I've been looking at devices like the Griffin AutoPilot (not the iTrip one) and Kensington LiquidAUX and trying to figure out what would be best for my 1st gen iPhone. It seems many of the products are not certified for iPhone use and trigger the "do you want to use airplane mode" message every time you plug them in, even the LiquidAUX which supposedly is made for the iPhone. This seems like it would get annoying pretty fast, although it COULD actually be useful if there was interference/buzzing from the phone normally. Reviews indicate there is little interference with these devices but I won't know until I try one.

I'm mainly interested in them as a means to
- control the iPhone, because it's too difficult to use the touch screen while driving and takes time to unlock the screen and whatnot.
- plug into my stereo's AUX input using the dock connector, because it supposedly sounds a fair bit better than using the headphone port (I already have an adapter for that, doesn't sound any better than my Shuffle, noticeably worse than playing the same MP3s from a CD).
- but seeing as I'd be listening to my music on my commute every day, I would then want to be able to charge it too — it runs down fast enough without using the iPod functions. :p

So right now I'm leaning towards the Griffin AutoPilot as despite triggering the "not made for iphone" warning message, it's the cheapest, simplest, best-reviewed, and seems to provide some of the best audio quality. The 12V power socket in my car isn't in a terribly convenient spot (recessed at the very bottom left of the console) but it's as-within arms reach as the pocket below my aftermarket stereo where I keep my iPod Shuffle in my current setup. In fact I used to keep the Shuffle down there right next to it. So a remote would be nice, but only if it's going to work reliably and not fall off the wheel all the time. Not a terrible important feature to me. The Griffin TuneFlex AUX comes with a remote like the LiquidAUX but I'm not hot on the iPhone holder that would block access to just about everything on my console. Monster makes the iCarCharger 200 which looks like it has a convenient design with retractable cables but reviews say it has very poor audio quality.

JVV33

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2009
Check out Belkin's Tunebase (Model #F8Z183) for the iPhone :).

It's a cradle/holder, FM transmitter, AUX input, Charger.

I have one in each of our family cars and I can say, after a year or so of use, they are extremely durable, reliable, and easy to use, not to mention extremely attractive.

It also does-away with any frequencly interference from the phone since its made specifically for the iPhone. The AUX sound is crystal clear :D.

I coincidentally tried the Kennsington Liquid/AUX too about 6 months ago and had to send it back due to the cradle breaking. It seemed cheaply assembled although it had a very attractive packaging :rolleyes:. I liked the idea of the included remote, but quickly found it unnecessary when you have the iPhone right in front of you anyway.

Check out Amazon or eBay for some great deals on the Belkin Tunebase, around $70-80 is reasonable.

Also, Check out iLounge . com for in depth review of all 3 cradle/AUX/chargers with pics and analysis :apple:.

Good Luck.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Well, all the steering wheel remote solutions looked too flimsy and got pretty mixed reviews. I ended up with the Griffin Autopilot. I'm posting the review I submitted to Amazon in case anyone else is interested.

I bought this to use with my 1st gen iPhone and Pioneer stereo with AUX input, with one of my goals being to get better audio than my 1st gen iPod Shuffle produces. I looked and looked for accessories built for the iPhone, but none of the options looked particularly good. The Autopilot offered just what I wanted: SIMPLE control interface, line-out audio from the Dock connector, AUX output.

As of this review I've only used it for a day but it's been a good experience so far. As you may know this device is NOT certified for iPhone use and thus produces the compatibility error message. But here's the good part... you can completely ignore it. It's not necessary to dismiss the message at all. Just press play and it will resume from where you left off (and if you want to open up the iPod app to pick a playlist, etc., the action of unlocking the phone dismisses the error message too).

I'd previously tried the iPhone with just an AUX cable attached to the headphone port and not only was the sound no better than my old iPod Shuffle, but there was the horrible "GSM buzz" that you typically get with cell phones. No so with the Autopilot -- there's zero interference, even with it sitting in the pocket directly below the stereo unit.

Sound quality is definitely improved. Before, music always sounded flat/dull compared to played from a MP3 CD or the radio, now it's on par. The leap is not enormous for me because I'l merely using the factory car speakers and they're at their limits. I think if you've invested in good aftermarket speakers, the different would be more noticeable.

The actual unit fits snugly into my cars 12V plug and the buttons are easy to press. Red ring pulses while the iPhone is charging. The cables are flexible enough that they don't get in the way as much as I anticipated and with a little effort can be tucked mostly out of the way.

This isn't the fanciest solution. You end up with a few wires strung about the console (depending on where your 12V plug is located). But it's affordable, practical, and WORKS. As much as I'd like one of the steering wheel remote solutions, the products out there today all seem much too flimsy. For now, the Griffin Autopilot will handle my car audio needs.

keyword

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
Hello everyone.
I am looking for car chager of nokia N73 as i mainly on company tours.
So can anyone here suggest me some website providing car charger at resonable rates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.