Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Hey my macbook has a Broadcom BCM4322 rev1 wireless card and it seems to have terrible linux support. I'd like to replace it, but I think the card might be soldered onto the board. Anyone know for sure if it is soldered?

This seems to be the same as my macbook and I can't even find the wireless card in the pictures.

kreator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
You still can't do it.

You sure? I am reading and the wireless card is hidden under the display apparently. I haven't opened my my macbook open enough yet to investigate, but I have found some pictures. Express cards appear to be pretty small and I think its small enough to be hidden there without being soldered.

You can see where it is hidden here.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You sure? I am reading and the wireless card is hidden under the display apparently. I haven't opened my my macbook open enough yet to investigate, but I have found some pictures. Express cards appear to be pretty small and I think its small enough to be hidden there without being soldered.

You can see where it is hidden here.

I've given you the answer. If you want to turn your Macbook into a paperweight, you're welcome to try it anyway. If you need to ask the question in this forum, then you don't have the technical knowledge necessary to pull it off successfully.

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
Im interested in why its not possible on the unibody mbps as I have a 1st gen intel which I have had to operate on many times including replacing the wireless card. What makes it less feasible on the unibodys exactly?

My instincts would say its totally possible if you acquire the right parts and are comfortable with the risk

(as per standard disclosure any diy work is at your own peril)

kreator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.