Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surgedc5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Southern California
Hi

I have a first gen ipod touch, all of the sudden the home center button won't work, the only way to turn it on is by using the top button, other than that its useless without the home button.

anyone had this problem before and fixed it?

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
At a recent trip to the Apple store for a completely different problem, the Apple Genius mentioned that this sometimes happens and the only fix is to bring it in for them to fix it. :(

Corso99

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Upstate New York
I went to the Apple store with the exact same problem you have. The Genius told me they couldn't fix my Ipod Touch. But they would give me a replacement for $150.00. I took a pass on their offer, since other than the home button it still works fine.

surgedc5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Southern California
I went to the Apple store with the exact same problem you have. The Genius told me they couldn't fix my Ipod Touch. But they would give me a replacement for $150.00. I took a pass on their offer, since other than the home button it still works fine.

yeah same here, mines still works perfectly fine its just the home button that wont work, i found some iphone repair spots around my area, they told to bring in the touch for a free estimate, thats if they can fix it :mad:

djstarrock

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
UK, Scotland, Glasgow

How do you get out of your applications?

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
the home button on my first gen just broke, too! It sux cuz I don't have the money to get it repaired/buy a new one. :( Back to using the iPod photo. :D

Jakintosh™

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
wow, this just happened to me last night... that's weird how it all happened around the same time... So it's gonna cost $150? I was hoping this would last a bit longer, either until the new touch had a camera, or the iPhone actually got a major upgrade... crap. Maybe I'll get a used one off of ebay to hold me over until then...

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
OMFG I did the rubbing alcohol trick and it worked!!!:eek::D:cool:

If your iPod touch home button is broken and you really don't want to spend money to buy a new one or get it fixed, try this! It might just work for you, too!

RandomGuy26

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
Solution

So here is an easy workaround for all you people struggling with this issue..

1 - jailbreak your iphone/iPod touch using Blackra1n (thats the only jailbreak solution to my mind that does not use pressing of buttons to jailbreak).. very simple 30 second jailbreak.

2 - install sbsettings after you jailbreak.

3 - install closeapp toggle in sbsettings..

wala.. everytime you need to close an app.. its as simple as a swipe..

WOF

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
My daughter's IPOD TOUCH recently had the same issue with the Home button not working. I tried spraying a little bit of rubbing alcohol and using compressed air to clean it but no luck. Then I decided to do surgery on her IPOD, keeping my fingers crossed. First I ordered another home button, a new battery and the plastic tools to open the IPOD. Let me tell you that those plastic tools did not work for me. I broke three of them trying to open it and had to use a big flathead screwdriver while holding the IPOD wrapped with a towel so as not to scratch it. It took me a half-hour just to open it, those things are really hard to open. After I opened it, I followed the instructions on how to take it apart from many of these web sites that you buy parts from. You have to follow the instructions very carefully. The battery is glued down but the worse part is that it's soldered. I almost was just going to give up and just get my daughter a new one but since I already had ordered the parts I decided to go on. To make a LONG story short, I manage to get to the point just before you take out the screen, it seems that part of the home button is underneath it. In my opinion, the home button is cheaply designed. It has a little round sticker holding a little round metallic clicker which easily falls out once the glue on the sticker wears out. I sure hope the latest models have a better design for the home button, otherwise I see a lot of broken buttons in the future. I used little pieces of electrical tape to place on the bottom of the home button so hopefully the bottom would make contact with the little clicker. I spent more that one hour just doing this part since I was not sure it would work once I assembled the IPOD again. I also changed the battery since I hear that the battery lasts about two years and it's now two years old. The battery was female dog to solder. The contacts for the three wires are so small, I was afraid that if I used too much heat the board could be damage so I got my wife to hold the each wire as I applied the solder, no longer than 2 seconds of heat. I managed to get the battery wires soldered but again not knowing if the battery would work. I re-assembled the IPOD and said a little prayer. At this point I had spent about 5 hours and almost didn't care if it worked or not. After I placed the cover back on, I turned it on and nothing happened. Then I thought about it and quickly realized that I had installed a new battery. I connected the IPOD to my laptop and the screen turned on but it showed that I needed to turn on ITUNES. I was not sure if the home button worked at this point so I turn the IPOD off and used the home button to turn it on and it WORKED. Apparently when you this type of surgery on the TOUCH it looses everything you had on it. I had to reinstalled all my daughters music and apps but the best thing was that after the IPOD charged for a little while, I disconnect it from my laptop and the battery was also working..I could not believe it. Anyway, I don't know if I would do this again..but then again maybe I would....;-)

pappascw

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Hey WOF? Did you need to actual button or just align the part underneath the button?

My daughter's IPOD TOUCH recently had the same issue with the Home button not working. I tried spraying a little bit of rubbing alcohol and using compressed air to clean it but no luck. Then I decided to do surgery on her IPOD, keeping my fingers crossed. First I ordered another home button, a new battery and the plastic tools to open the IPOD. Let me tell you that those plastic tools did not work for me. I broke three of them trying to open it and had to use a big flathead screwdriver while holding the IPOD wrapped with a towel so as not to scratch it. It took me a half-hour just to open it, those things are really hard to open. After I opened it, I followed the instructions on how to take it apart from many of these web sites that you buy parts from. You have to follow the instructions very carefully. The battery is glued down but the worse part is that it's soldered. I almost was just going to give up and just get my daughter a new one but since I already had ordered the parts I decided to go on. To make a LONG story short, I manage to get to the point just before you take out the screen, it seems that part of the home button is underneath it. In my opinion, the home button is cheaply designed. It has a little round sticker holding a little round metallic clicker which easily falls out once the glue on the sticker wears out. I sure hope the latest models have a better design for the home button, otherwise I see a lot of broken buttons in the future. I used little pieces of electrical tape to place on the bottom of the home button so hopefully the bottom would make contact with the little clicker. I spent more that one hour just doing this part since I was not sure it would work once I assembled the IPOD again. I also changed the battery since I hear that the battery lasts about two years and it's now two years old. The battery was female dog to solder. The contacts for the three wires are so small, I was afraid that if I used too much heat the board could be damage so I got my wife to hold the each wire as I applied the solder, no longer than 2 seconds of heat. I managed to get the battery wires soldered but again not knowing if the battery would work. I re-assembled the IPOD and said a little prayer. At this point I had spent about 5 hours and almost didn't care if it worked or not. After I placed the cover back on, I turned it on and nothing happened. Then I thought about it and quickly realized that I had installed a new battery. I connected the IPOD to my laptop and the screen turned on but it showed that I needed to turn on ITUNES. I was not sure if the home button worked at this point so I turn the IPOD off and used the home button to turn it on and it WORKED. Apparently when you this type of surgery on the TOUCH it looses everything you had on it. I had to reinstalled all my daughters music and apps but the best thing was that after the IPOD charged for a little while, I disconnect it from my laptop and the battery was also working..I could not believe it. Anyway, I don't know if I would do this again..but then again maybe I would....;-)

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
OMFG I did the rubbing alcohol trick and it worked!!!:eek::D:cool:

If your iPod touch home button is broken and you really don't want to spend money to buy a new one or get it fixed, try this! It might just work for you, too!

what rubbing alcohol solution?

my home button is starting to be hit and miss in recent times. i do hope it doesnt go completely.

WOF

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
Hey WOF? Did you need to actual button or just align the part underneath the button?

I used the original button. I cut little pieces of electrical tape and placed them over the metallic clicker so the button could hopefully make better contact with it once I installed back the small circuit board. The tape also held the clicker in place but it was still a pain trying to align it. The only issue after installing the circuit board is that I no longer got that 'click' feeling from pushing the button, but it does work.

pappascw

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
I used the original button. I cut little pieces of electrical tape and placed them over the metallic clicker so the button could hopefully make better contact with it once I installed back the small circuit board. The tape also held the clicker in place but it was still a pain trying to align it. The only issue after installing the circuit board is that I no longer got that 'click' feeling from pushing the button, but it does work.

Hmmm her button works but its just mashed down. You have to push hard tho. So where the fault the pad comes off the board? Wonder if there is a real fix for it?

Archangeldawn

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
Sun. January 31, 2010 Home Button whack!!

So here is an easy workaround for all you people struggling with this issue..

1 - jailbreak your iphone/iPod touch using Blackra1n (thats the only jailbreak solution to my mind that does not use pressing of buttons to jailbreak).. very simple 30 second jailbreak.

2 - install sbsettings after you jailbreak.

3 - install closeapp toggle in sbsettings..

wala.. everytime you need to close an app.. its as simple as a swipe..

I haven't tried the Alcohol solution fix mention in this thread, but I doubt it will work. However having an app that will function as a "virtual button" for the home button sounds AMAZING.

I already have Sbsettings on my jailbreak. I will search for closeapp. And will post back if its a good temporary fix or if its just to get out of apps. You see I want to an app that will function as a virtual home button because mine stopped working this morning as well.
If anyone knows of an app other than closeapp. Feel free to share :)

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york
wow this just happened to my 1st gen ipod Touch too!!!!

I am starting to think, this was built to last roughly 2 years. I had also bought the extended warranty, which expired like 2 weeks ago without me ever getting to use it!

I went t apple store yesterday in Buffalo and the rude genius bar associate said he couldn't do anything to fix it and that he couldn't see my extended warranty in the system, even though I had the certificate that apple mailed me when I registered the apple care plan! He then drawled that even if I had the extended warranty (as if he didn't believe I did) it'd still be out of warranty.

Trying my best to be polite, I asked of they would repair it and I would pay. He said he'd swap it for me for $199 with a used one same generation or give me 10% on a new one. I declined and left very disappointed.

When I got home, I called apple support who refunded me the cost of the extended warranty.

I am not buying another ipod in the future, especially that itampon which will also be unusable without the home button after 2 years. I guess apple expects me to spring for a new device every time they increment some new feature that should have been included in the first place!

Anyways I used blacksnow this morning to jailbreak (very easy 30 seconds without doing a thing except connecting ipod and clicking "let it rain"), then installed cydia, sb settings and close app. It is now usable albeit annoying.

Archangeldawn

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
wow laserfox, that is really unkool of apple reps to do that when you obviously had that extended warranty which proved to be useless. At least you got your money refunded from that no good warranty.

Okay so I installed Sbsettings, and I click Process, Select the process and then "delete" and that will close that process and bring me to the home screen. I have searched for a that close app, but I have not yet been able to find it.

Any pointers where that could be located? (I get confused with Cydia and Installer so where would I search at?)

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york
The name of the app is "Close Button Widget" which is available in Cydia. Just search for "close" and its the first option , or you could look in the SBSettings Addons folder in the sections area. Hope this helps (unlike apple genius bar grrr)

levinson

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
Repair for home button not working

My home button (1G touch) stopped working, too, so I sent it to digiexpress. They found that it wasn't connected properly, fixed it and sent it back. Charge was $25 for diagnosis and $6.75 for return postage. The fix was free, since it was simple. They can also replace the button and/or the underlying circuit board if needed, but I didn't need them. Good service, prompt communications, I recommend them. And I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

Belizeking

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
----->this May Help!!! <---- *read*

*SKIP THIS IF YOU DON't WANT TO WASTE TIME*
*Not a fix but a alternate solution*
So this also happened to me, the home button just died :\
this seems to be a consistant problem on the 1st gen, seen way to many forums discussing this.
maybe it is just me but i think apple is behind this :\
on the other hand, this started to happen to me after i connected it to itunes and it said "there is a newer firmware available for your device"

The alternate fix

1.jailbreak your ipod/iphone (blackra1n / Quickpwn / etc...)
2.Open Cydia
3.Search "ProSwitcher" and install *also will install "Backgrounder"*
*may have to respring*
4.Open settings on your home screen
5.If installed correctly you should see "Proswitcher" when you scroll down
6. Select "activation methods"
7.Choose your activation method.(i use "From Screen Bottom" & "Double Tap")
8.to exit settings just use the activation method you just selected :p there you are done :p this is also a real cool because you can switch between apps you have opened in a palmpre style.

Enjoy!

* YOU CAN USE SBSSETTINGS HOWEVER THIS IS A MUCH BETTER ALTERNATIVE*

*i also plan on opending my ipod and try to see what is the problem. i will update if i found a fix for it*
**i also plan on restoring my ipod to see it is software issues, will update if anything*

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the home button supposed to wake the iPod touch from sleep? If I go back to my touch in the morning and start clicking the home button, I get no response from it. I click the top button, the iPod makes a clicking sound, and then I can open up everything w/ the home button. This is the third 1st gen I've had (others had to be returned b/c of problems), but I'm pretty sure I could do everything EXCEPT turn the screen off with the home button. Am I mistaken? Should I sent this one back, too? It's still under the refurb warranty...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.