Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
link
An 11-year-old girl in the Northeast recently gave birth to a baby boy, according to the girl’s family.

"My daughter and baby are fine, and the baby is absolutely beautiful," stated the girl’s mother.

The girl and her family are not being named in order to protect the girl’s privacy.

According to Dr. Manny Alvarez, managing health editor of FoxNews.com, the girl’s age places her in significant dangers

"A very comprehensive approach to her care needs to be instituted early in her pregnancy," Alvarez said.

A recent report by the Guttmacher Institute said U.S. teen pregnancies were up 3 percent in 2006.

But of course, this case is not about a teenager, Dr. Abdulla Al-Khan, a leading high-risk obstetrician noted; it’s about a pre-teen, or child, who’s body is not built to carry a child yet.

"Her body is clearly not defined for pregnancy with its short stature," Al-Khan said. "Her chest is not extensively developed for breast tissue, her bones aren’t quite fused, and once you expose a child this young to high amounts of progesterone and especially estrogen, there is controversy that it could halt her growth."

Al-Khan said other medical challenges facing a girl as young as 10 or 11-years-old include:

— The pelvis is not defined for natural childbirth;

— The vagina could sustain injury during a natural birth;

— The patient is at high-risk for pre-eclampsia, which is high blood pressure and protein in the urine and could lead to convulsions and/or multi-system organ failure;

— A higher risk of pre-term labor and delivery, which would mean the baby’s size would be compromised, and the baby is at risk for developmental issues, fetal growth restriction and chromosomal abnormalities;

— Higher incidence of stillbirth;

— Higher incidence of cholestasis of pregnancy, a condition where the patient starts itching like crazy, which can lead to stillbirth and placenta issues;

— Chance of fatty liver developing, which could be fatal.

"The textbooks don’t even tell you how to deal with a 10-year-old; it’s completely different even though we understand the basics," Al-Khan said.

Al-Khan said a patient like this would benefit from early intervention and would have to be seen on a weekly basis during the pregnancy to prevent complications.

"Think about how difficult a pregnancy is for someone in their 20s or 30s . . .the aches, pains, the sleep deprivation," Al-Khan said. "Now imagine it in a child."

There are also psychological issues associated with a pregnancy like this, because a 10-year-old cannot be mentally ready to give birth, Al-Khan said.

What?

Apparently this isn't the only time this has happened.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
But... how? How can what we assume to be a then a ten year old girl:

1) Assuming it's not rape, get into a sexual situation?
2) Even get pregnant?
3) Not have an abortion?

The world is actually going to hell in a handbasket.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
There was a 9 year old Asian girl on the news Tuesday that had given birth to a baby boy.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I love children with all my heart; but I think ANYONE getting pregnant before the age of 16 is a disaster and should never happen. Maybe I'll invent a hormone shot that inhibits child conception until a certain age (not
birth control, like an annual/bi-annual shot. Something that has no negative effects). But even at age 16 it's a God damned mistake.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I love children with all my heart; but I think ANYONE getting pregnant before the age of 16 is a disaster and should never happen. Maybe I'll invent a hormone shot that inhibits child conception until a certain age (not
birth control, like an annual/bi-annual shot. Something that has no negative effects). But even at age 16 it's a God damned mistake.

16 is still to young. Might be ready physically, but I bet 90% of 16 year old girls are not ready to go thru pregnancy, or be a mother.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
But... how? How can what we assume to be a then a ten year old girl:

1) Assuming it's not rape, get into a sexual situation?
2) Even get pregnant?
3) Not have an abortion?

The world is actually going to hell in a handbasket.

It's rape no matter what according to the law.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Early pregnancies like this aren't that surprising given that certain girls are beginning to reach puberty at earlier ages. This is almost entirely due to environmental/chemical contamination. Man-made chemicals with structures similar to natural hormones are thus influencing the body to mature at an earlier age (prior to the natural full development of the body). When one reaches puberty, sexual desires arise. This is expected as it is a natural consequence of the heightened hormonal state of puberty. Sexual desires lead to sexual activity and pregnancies like this, thus, occasionally occur. Again, this isn't surprising.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009

Fair enough. Although I see it as a difference wether she actually wanted it by some sort of horrible choice or someone actually forcefully raped her, it's wrong in all ways imaginable.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Any word on the rape investigation? Is there going to be one?

The mother and mother's mother are not being identified, so obviously we're not going to know the details.

Also: why are you so dead set on a rape investigation? What if it were her eleven year old boyfriend that knocked her up?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The mother and mother's mother are not being identified, so obviously we're not going to know the details.

Also: why are you so dead set on a rape investigation? What if it were her eleven year old boyfriend that knocked her up?

Does statutory rape not count if both parties are underage? :confused:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is there going to be an investigation into this rape? :mad:

Any word on the rape investigation? Is there going to be one?

Does statutory rape not count if both parties are underage? :confused:
You're sure hell bent on driving this point home, aren't you?

What if she had consensual sex with someone her same age? Maybe before you try to drive home the point that you believe (a word that is missing from your posts) she was raped, you should take the time to look up statutory rape. I am not saying that it is not, but I am saying you seem to have detected a crime where a crime was not at all identified. Of course, your intent could be to make waves and maybe you're asking this board if it applies as if there's a panel of lawyers standing by make that call. Either way, do some research and come to the determination then make a call because clearly whomever had sex with this then 10 year old girl may need to go to jail if they did in fact commit a crime.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I believe an investigation should be done on this regardless of if it was consensual or not.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Probably not by statute at any rate.

In the UK at least, if anyone engages in sexual activity with someone under the age of 13, it would be an offence, regardless of their own age or whether "consent" is obtained - the thinking is that aged under 13 a child is unable to give consent (ie lacks the capacity to make that decision).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.