Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.3 to developers today. The last seed was released on January 22nd. According to reports, the newest version provides a number of enhancements and bug fixes for QuickTime X, 64-bit Logic, printing and OpenGL.

There are said to be "no known issues" with the latest build, possibly indicating that we may be approaching release. 10.6.3 only began seeding to developers in early January but 10.6.2 saw a comparably short time frame from initial seeding to public release.

The Mac OS X 10.6.2 update was released on November 9th.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Build 10D548)

tmuller

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
Works great, just like the last build. Still no update on the OpenGL 3.0 shader language support

frjonah

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Almost Heaven... WV
I'm a developer (mainly iPhone), but I have not been downloading these OS updates... where do you access the download exactly or do you have to sign-up for eligibility?

I've got a Mac Mini with a broken HDTV connection (I'm told it would have connected from DVI-HDMI in Leopard, but so far no love in SL) and, if I'm eligible, I'd like to give the update a try (yeah, yeah... I know the chances of it magically working after update are about the same as a Snow Leopard's chance in hell :) )

ironman159

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Costa Rica
I'm a developer (mainly iPhone), but I have not been downloading these OS updates... where do you access the download exactly or do you have to sign-up for eligibility?

I've got a Mac Mini with a broken HDTV connection (I'm told it would have connected from DVI-HDMI in Leopard, but so far no love in SL) and, if I'm eligible, I'd like to give the update a try (yeah, yeah... I know the chances of it magically working after update are about the same as a Snow Leopard's chance in hell :) )

I THINK that these updates roll onto Mac OS developers, but you can always try to find it in your iPhone Dev Center page; maybe it appears.

SlaunchaMan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Detroit, MI

You need to purchase an ADC Select account.

libertyforall

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2006
So much for those reports of Blu-Ray movie playback finally being delivered in 10.6... *annoyed*

Hopefully iTunes will finally go 64-bit?

Maybe Apple should disallow flash on Mac OS X until they make a 64-bit version too? :D j/k

Mac 10.6.2 HDTV HDMI via DisplayPort connectivity is abysmal, in my experience...

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wait, Apple still makes Macs?

What an annoying comment.

Apple makes computing hardware and software. Macs are just one product line. Who says that computers need to fit a certain design/form factor?

All of their stuff, aside from their traditional iPods, run a variant of OS X. So why the negativity about Apple not supporting their Macs?

I know, it was sarcasm, but really... why bother?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Anyone normal length of time this should take to hit the general public?
Short answer: no

Longer answer: the time between the last developer build and the publicly released version varies. However, Apple never indicates that any given developer build is a release candidate, thus it is impossible to know if there will be subsequent developer builds. Thus, you won't know untill Apple releases the official software.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
One more build after this and we'll have our R.C. Public release ~20th Feb I guess ;)

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
So much for those reports of Blu-Ray movie playback finally being delivered in 10.6... *annoyed*

Hopefully iTunes will finally go 64-bit?
It is unlikely that Apple would release a 64-bit version of iTunes in a maintenance OS release. That sort of feature upgrade would be included in an update of the application (iTunes), not the OS since historically Apple releases separate versions of iTunes.

Also, it is improbable that Apple would release Blu-ray support in a minor maintenance release, seeing as there is no Apple hardware that has Blu-ray players and the fact that Steve Jobs continues to refer to Blu-ray licensing as a "big bag of pain."

libertyforall

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2006
3.0 is overdue, finalized in July 11, 2008.
3.1 Released May 28, 2009
3.2 August 3, 2009 and updated December 7, 2009

Come on Apple, 3.x should have shipped in 10.6, IMHO.

Works great, just like the last build. Still no update on the OpenGL 3.0 shader language support

nite41

Jul 5, 2009
"No known issues" with 10.6.2 ????

What about the 'error -36' one regularly gets while copying files/folders from Mac on to a USB drive?
It's not just me. Google it and you'll see many more are affected by this. Tried almost everything suggested. 'error -36' still shows up!
The only way around is: Copy files one-by-one. Coz once you drag-n-drop an entire folder, the error -36 pops up!
I hope Apple fixes this. It's an irritating bug!

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
Good news. Hopefully it's next week, rather than two months from now!

I'm looking forward to the enhancements of Quicktime X the most.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Exposé "fix" please?:mad:

What problem are you having with expose, other than from Chrome users I havent heard of any issues with Expose.

Im not having any problems with 10.6.2 so really this is just another excuse for me to keep ignoring software update.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
What about the 'error -36' one regularly gets while copying files/folders from Mac on to a USB drive?
It's not just me. Google it and you'll see many more are affected by this. Tried almost everything suggested. 'error -36' still shows up!
The only way around is: Copy files one-by-one. Coz once you drag-n-drop an entire folder, the error -36 pops up!
I hope Apple fixes this. It's an irritating bug!

It's "no known issues" with the latest developer build of 10.6.3 :)

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
What an annoying comment.

Apple makes computing hardware and software. Macs are just one product line. Who says that computers need to fit a certain design/form factor?

All of their stuff, aside from their traditional iPods, run a variant of OS X. So why the negativity about Apple not supporting their Macs?

I know, it was sarcasm, but really... why bother?

It was just a joke...why are you taking it personally? haha.

And it was in reference to how Apple news has been focusing on iPads/iPhones more than notebooks/desktops (the Macs). I never said anything about not supporting Macs.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
It was just a joke...why are you taking it personally? haha.

And it was in reference to how Apple news has been focusing on iPads/iPhones more than notebooks/desktops (the Macs). I never said anything about not supporting Macs.

Didn't Apple revise the MacBook not too far back? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.