Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Where can i get the printer driver for the samsung ml-1710 printer?! It doesn't seem to be on the samsung page. Also... will it work on a new intel mac? *glup*, if not, what are my options here?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
There is no Samsung OS X Driver, but you can try this:

Use the HP LaserJet 4/4M Postscript, or HP LaserJet 5MP Driver. Thats a pretty universal driver and should work just fine since its a laser printer.

If you can get it to work on your current Mac, then it will work on a new Intel Mac. Or, if you don't have a Mac yet, you can try it on your Intel Mac.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
frankm007 said:
Where can i get the printer driver for the samsung ml-1710 printer?! It doesn't seem to be on the samsung page. Also... will it work on a new intel mac? *glup*, if not, what are my options here?
Your printer is not a PostScript printer. Nor does Samsung support your printer on the Mac. It does support your printer on Linux. The Linux driver appears not to be a CUPS driver. You can try it for yourself. Download it here.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Ok, this is really weird. I've had a 1710 for over 2 years now and its always had OS X drivers. Hell, the box even reads that there is Mac support. But for some strange reason i can't seem to find the drivers on their website anymore, even though I KNOW it was there. I'm going to investigate.

EDIT: Ok, I found the drivers hidden on their site. Why? I don't know. But you have to do a global driver search to find them. Here is a link that should work:
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...Path=DR/200405/20040507134047906_SPL_V2.5.sit
or
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...10&VPath=DR/200407/20040714091350156_SPL2.dmg

Not sure which one is newer, but either should work. The 2nd link claims to be for 10.4.

rcm89

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks!

Thank you very much for posting this! 2 years later and you STILL can't get the driver directly from the Samsung site.

FWIW, the second entry seems to run fine on 10.5.1 on both my mini [intel] and on my Powerbook G4 [PPC]

tjhill

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Samsung ML-1710 Printer Driver in MAC OS 10.5.8

can ANYONE tell me how to get the Samsung ML-1710 Printer Driver (which i downloaded from the Australian website after reading previous posts) on MAC OS 10.5.8?

PLEASE!?!

i wen't thru the "installaton" of the "Samsung SPL2 Installer", but nothing...no "usr" folder on my MBPro as it said it would. nothing. how did those of you who said you got it working here do it?

maybe i'm just stoopid!

PLEASE HELP!

thanks,

t.j. hill

amigajoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Southern California
ML-1710 -does- work on Macs

Not sure how to paste a quote so that it shows like a quote, but someone wrote:

Your printer is not a PostScript printer. Nor does Samsung support your printer on the Mac. It does support your printer on Linux. The Linux driver appears not to be a CUPS driver. You can try it for yourself. Download it here.

I can't speak to Samsung's 'official' position on supporting this printer on the Mac, but when I bought this printer several years ago it came with a CD-ROM that had a Mac driver, and the box spoke to Mac compatability. My dad's been using this printer on his CRT (non-flat) iMac, running 10.4, for years. Recently, after a visit to the local Apple store they wiped the driver out and I've been having the hardest time figuring out a solution. (Can't find the CD, unfortunately)

Why the 'f' they don't offer for download is beyond me.

Hopefully the links in this thread will help. :)

dennisy

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
Samsung ML 1710 Driver

Thanks so much - link and file works and installed easily on my airport express connected printer.

Does anyone have this driver working on 10.6.2? I had previously installed the drivers per the instructions posted here for earlier versions of OS X with great success, but no luck with 10.6.2.

Thanks.

bugman

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
ML-1710 driver needed for OSX 10.5.8. HELP!

I need the driver for Mac OSX 10.5.8 for this ML-1710 printer. Has anyone got one and got it to work with that version of Mac OSX? I think it sucks big time that Samsung won't support it's own products! I'll never buy another Samsung product whether it be a microwave or a printer, etc. Help please! thanks!

bugman

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
ML-1710 Driver for OSX 10.5.8

I have the driver posted in this thread, literally four posts above yours.
OK, I downloaded the file and unzipped it but what am I supposed to do with it? Please provide a step-by-step guide so that even my my old senile brain could follow it! :) Thanks!

bugman

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
ML-1712 Driver

it's an installer. so just double-click it and it will guide you through the installation process.
Unfortunately, no. The only installer I see is "Samsung SPL2 Installer" in a folder called "MacOSClassic". The icon for "Samsung SPL2 Installer" is crossed out i.e. it has the international "ban" symbol i.e. "/" across the icon. Help!

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Unfortunately, no. The only installer I see is "Samsung SPL2 Installer" in a folder called "MacOSClassic". The icon for "Samsung SPL2 Installer" is crossed out i.e. it has the international "ban" symbol i.e. "/" across the icon. Help!
It should be a single file, not folders. You've got to rename the "Samsung SPL2 Installer" folder it created by adding ".app" (without the quotes) to the end of it (the folder two levels up, not the "banned" file with the same name). You're trying to launch the installer from the resource folder--something's wrong with the unzipping of your download.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Matticus is correct. Just open your Finder, and navigate to "Samsung SPL2 Installer" in your downloads, right click it, select "get info", and under the "name and extensions" section, just type in ".app" (with the quotation marks) after "Samsung SPL2 Installer". Then click on it and it should open the installer. You'll want to be sure you're manipulating the largest folder and not messing around with the components inside the folder.

Attachments

• Samsung SPL2 Installer.zip
    465.8 KB · Views: 1,670
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.